BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Body armour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Body armour Reply with quote

Got gifted some nice Kevlar jeans - none of your aramid knock-off shite* Wink Didn't come with an armour pieces but it has pockets for knees and hips.

Knee pieces seem essential but what are ppl's opinions on the worth of hip armour?

I get the Level 1 vs Level 2 differences but how are ppl finding this:

https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/487/890/sm5232-Motorcycle-Armour-Set-Elbow-1.jpg

versus this style:

https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/636/183/smscale17925-OB130-Oxford-Dynamic-Level-2-Shoulder-Protectors-Pair-1600-3.jpg

Hips I doubt it matters but is the latter "mesh-type" better on the knees?

*As in actual licensed Kevlar

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Body armour Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Got gifted some nice Kevlar jeans - none of your aramid knock-off shite* Wink Didn't come with an armour pieces but it has pockets for knees and hips.

Knee pieces seem essential but what are ppl's opinions on the worth of hip armour?

https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/487/890/sm5232-Motorcycle-Armour-Set-Elbow-1.jpg

versus this style:

https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/636/183/smscale17925-OB130-Oxford-Dynamic-Level-2-Shoulder-Protectors-Pair-1600-3.jpg

I was going to buy the new D30 mesh type to replace the normal D30 ones in my jacket and trousers. Was just waiting till I had the dough to buy them all at once. From what I've read the mesh type is just as good protection wise but way more flexible over your joints.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some of those "latter mesh" types in my kevlar jeans, but as they are flat and not shaped/formed, i found them forever twisting round and never really sitting over my knee, so would be next to useless in the event of an accident

Though different jeans may have different pockets, but mine are fairly slim fitting Bull-it jeans, with pretty tight fitting pockets, and that still didn't hold them where i would have liked them

The D3O shaped ones however, are pretty much always sitting right over my knee caps, though do look a bit bulkier when off the bike

What i will say though, is i have the mesh type ones in my jacket (Engine Hawk) and they are bloody amazing, so thin and pliable you can barely tell they are even there

In fact, it was when i upgraded from the initial Level 1 (supplied with the jacket) to Level 2 armour, that i had the spare ones to try in my jeans

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I think that's what I have "Ballistic Jeans" yeah... okay Smile

That was I was thinking regards to knee shape. Might have the flatter lattice/mesh for hips and shaped for knees Thinking

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the D30 type stuff (it's not actually that brand, but the same tech) and it pretty malleable. I had to sew the pouches for the knee pads up to hold the knee pads in place though, but it wasn't arduous and I've only done it once and it's sorted now. I have hip armour in; never notice it, on or off the bike, apart from when it's really hot and I get a sweat patch under each one. Small price to pay I figure for a bit of extra protection.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end it was tricky to find out the sizes of the various pieces even directly from the manufacturer websites! A few stitches to stop things rotating is a good idea though Thumbs Up

Anyhoo, hip and knee set ordered.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
In the end it was tricky to find out the sizes of the various pieces even directly from the manufacturer websites! A few stitches to stop things rotating is a good idea though Thumbs Up

Anyhoo, hip and knee set ordered.

I found a fair amount of sitting on the bike and going through the motions of riding was necessary to get the proper fit. Use safety pins to emulate the stitching temporarily to get the position right first. Thumbs Up

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:24 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mesh type as you call them, are far more comfortable, in my experience, most are only level 1 protection but SAS-TEC make some level 2, and D30 have just brought out level 2 versions of their ghost armour

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Level 2 SAS-TEC is what I went for. Just turned up and I'd have to say it's funny stuff, bit hard to describe Thinking Definitely suits slim fit type clothing - skinny jeans, "lumberjack shirt" jackets.

But now I'm being a bit thick: is it the rubber or fabric side that's meant to point outwards?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVM, fabric side points out to the world Rolling Eyes

Initial observations: hip armour - 100% this (or the Level 1 D30 Ghost) is what you should be using, almost unnoticeable. Knees - very comfortable but the armour is actually too thin. As it shifts about there's a potential to roll up at the bottom. Some stitching or buying the velcro version would sort this.

I could see some clothing having this sort of armour stitched in permanently in the future, I'm certainly a convert.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I never notice the hip armour. As mentioned previously, the "pockets" for the knee armour always seem to big. I'm a bit sceptical velcro would hold it in place effectively, hence why I just sewed it in. When I washed my jeans for the first time it meant I couldn't remove the knee armour but I figured it's got wet before when I've been caught out in the rain so it shouldn't matter too much.

I rate armour at least as important as abrasion resistance; if you come off on the road, you're more likely to hit something rather than come to a stop on the road through friction alone.

I wish manufacturers would put the aramaid/kevlar tech into textile jackets; they can make jeans that are completely CE level 2 throughout, but pretty much all textile jackets are CE level 1, if rated at all. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult?!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Body armour Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

versus this style:

Y

Armour protects the bis that stick out and prone to injury. 1/2" of rubber over the hip and pelvis can prevent substantial damage that can easily put you in a wheelchair. There are arteries and stuff that can benefit from that little piece of armour. Don't forget, motorbikes are dangerous. Cool

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I wish manufacturers would put the aramaid/kevlar tech into textile jackets; they can make jeans that are completely CE level 2 throughout, but pretty much all textile jackets are CE level 1, if rated at all. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult?!

I don't think I've ever checked the CE rating of any of my gear

I came off in textiles trousers and leather jacket and did a proper slide down the road and didn't abrade through the outer layer of either material. I wore the textile trousers again for ages after the crash but the jacket was cut off by the ambulance crew - I'm sure it would have been fine to continue using.

I did have a bit of road rash up my lower back as my trousers and jacket didn't zip together at the waist - this has become a key criteria for my gear these days!

I've also come off in plain Denim jeans once at very slow speed and they wore through almost instantly. Thankfully since it was so slow the injuries were very minimal!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

I don't think I've ever checked the CE rating of any of my gear

I came off in textiles trousers and leather jacket and did a proper slide down the road and didn't abrade through the outer layer of either material. I wore the textile trousers again for ages after the crash but the jacket was cut off by the ambulance crew - I'm sure it would have been fine to continue using.

I did have a bit of road rash up my lower back as my trousers and jacket didn't zip together at the waist - this has become a key criteria for my gear these days!

I've also come off in plain Denim jeans once at very slow speed and they wore through almost instantly. Thankfully since it was so slow the injuries were very minimal!

I've not tested any of my gear in anger, but when I feel the thickness of the lighter of my two aramid jeans (which are rated CE AA) the material is significantly thicker than the material on my unrated jacket. Maybe it's tougher than it appears, but it seems to me like it'd wear through very quickly, but other than leather they all seem like that once you pull the liners out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1