Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clutch springs eating my basket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Balth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Clutch springs eating my basket Reply with quote

I have a 94 VFR750 that had terrible clutch slip so i replaced the friction plates. Put it all back together and on pulling in the clutch lever there was a strange whining noise from the clutch. Pulled it all apart again and found the springs (the ones that bolt on with the pressure plate) are eating into the arms they bolt into. Took it all apart, verified every parts existence and correct placement, but still have the same problem...

Anyone know why this would happen? And how i can remedy it? I assume my inner basket is ruined now the arms have spring marks on them...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you assembled it incorrectly.

Balth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Because you assembled it incorrectly.

it's assembled correctly

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:58 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if it wasn't doing it before you took it apart, and after you put it together it made a funny noise and got damaged, you clearly put it together incorrectly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they new springs? If they are, are they wound the same direction as the old ones? I've heard of aftermarket springs which have been wound the wrong way and the act of tightening the bolt down starts to untwist them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to picture that and it's not a nice mental image Shocked

Balth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, if it wasn't doing it before you took it apart, and after you put it together it made a funny noise and got damaged, you clearly put it together incorrectly.

So what you are saying is something is wrong. Helpful, thanks for your input.

stinkwheel wrote:
Are they new springs? If they are, are they wound the same direction as the old ones? I've heard of aftermarket springs which have been wound the wrong way and the act of tightening the bolt down starts to untwist them.

I put new "heavy duty" ebc springs on. I hadn't thought to check which way round they should be wound. I'll look into that, thanks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if EBC springs are wound the wrong way.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think why it would cause a misalignment of the springs but you are aware that one of the friction plates (the one nearest the middle of the bike, the first one you put in when you're reassembling.) is different to all the others, it has a larger internal diameter.

Also check you have the judder spring fitted with the dished (concave) side facing out.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strumpet has different metal plates between thge friction plates and there is a specified order for them. Can't see that being an issue though, I know some Kwaks use them to do engine braking clutch but I'd be surprised if triumph did that.

Balth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can't think why it would cause a misalignment of the springs but you are aware that one of the friction plates (the one nearest the middle of the bike, the first one you put in when you're reassembling.) is different to all the others, it has a larger internal diameter.

Also check you have the judder spring fitted with the dished (concave) side facing out.

Pretty sure both are correct, but i will take it apart and check again. Going to fit a new inner basket since i fucked the first one. Will also go back to the original springs and see if that helps
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1