Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alternator Stator Re-Wire or New from Ebay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Alternator Stator Re-Wire or New from Ebay Reply with quote

The stator on my ER6n has died, i've not had this happen before. Crying or Very sad

In fact after 14 years of owning the bike from new, it was the first time it let me down. Managed to get it about a quarter of a mile from home (its hilly where I live), but a horrible sweaty experience of pushing up hill, even with my 20 year old helping me, it was a challenge.

I've not got any experience on what and where to purchase from so I am looking for recommendations, warnings etc. My bikes been off the road since Friday and its a pain without it tbh.

Anyway, i've seen this on Ebay and the seller does get good reviews and offers a guarantee ~ £90
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233261343971

Electrex are UK made and £108

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/G64.html#SID=200

The official Kawasaki one is about £400

But then i've heard of them being rewired ~ https://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/services.php

I've also seen really cheap ones for about £40, but i'm thinking its cheap for a reason https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194384897843 . I've seen others with the same picture saying from China and that puts me off.

Any help appreciated.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Electrex parts before and they're very good - and well thought of. That would be my choice. Thumbs Up

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my one bad experience with an aftermarket stator (ElectroSport), I've gone strictly with OEM. However, the idea of rewinding sounds intriguing to me, and I wouldn't hesitate to give that a shot, depending on the physical condition of the OE part.

1998 Honda PC800 - My sample size is one; as they say, your mileage may vary. Aftermarket stator lasted 20,527 miles, about 6 months past the end of the warranty period. When I got it out, I knew instantly why my engine oil was getting so dark, the damn thing was burnt to a crisp. Installed a new Honda stator (made by Hitachi), that one lasted 73,280 miles until it took a shit (but did not burn up like the aftermarket one).

1998 Honda VFR800Fi - OE Stator lasted 68,139 miles until it crapped out. Installed OE Honda stator, which was still going strong when I sold the bike at 117,927 miles.

Bottom line is that if you keep your bike long enough, you are probably going to be replacing the stator at least once. My advice: don't let the warranty influence your decision to go aftermarket. ymmv Wink

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pays yer money and all that
the cheap one may be good but there's only a 30 day warranty
Electrex has a 1 year warranty so if they use crap materials and
it starts to degrade within 12 months you've chance of replacement.
getting it rewound would probably cost as much or more than
the off the shelf ones

DIY is an interesting project.
You wind every third bobbin in series 3 times
so you get 3 phases of 6 all commoned locally
and the open ends go out to the RR
aka 'Y' wound.

It aint rocket science but there are practical aspects that can make it a chore.
you need to coat the core in transformer varnish or epoxy before winding to ensure no windings short to ground
A sticky, tricky job that can be

If you use cheapo wire the insulating coating may crack or break off and windings could short together.
You may not realise you've done it and get sub par performance, hot spots and early failure.
I've done it and on older bikes with fewer, bigger windings it's much easier to DIY than on 18 closely packed ones you get on many bike stators.

In short:
Don't DIY unless you're forced to.

When you buy a new one, test it before you even think of fitting it
just in case you get a bad un
Note the phase to phase resistance also the phase to ground
PtoP resistance should be very low, say 1 ohm
PtoGnd should be very high (mega ohms)

After fitting, turn the engine over few times and test it again before you put oil back in case any windings are too bulgy and shorting to the rotor.
It's better to find this out early.

A known weak spot is often the 3 pin connector
if they don't have good, sound contact/s they'll get hot and burn out.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used |\west countery whindinngs for years very good but not cheap
I recently fitter pattern whindings mostly fine but some do not produce as much power as OEM

Having changer stator cheak your rec/reg is good and wireing from it to battery is solid you don't want a repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
A known weak spot is often the 3 pin connector
if they don't have good, sound contact/s they'll get hot and burn out.

Boy howdy this is true! I must have burnt up a dozen 3-pin connectors on my 5th gen VFR in my stubborn insistence to keep the bike pristine. OE, aftermarket, I tried everything available without success. After a few hundred miles, my charge indicator would light up and the connector was a melted plastic mass. One day I mentioned my frustration to a mechanic who was mounting new rubber for me. He races Ducati's on the weekends, and suggested I hard wire the connection and shrink wrap. Blasphemy! In the end my frustration prevailed and I decided to follow his advice. Never had a problem after that, not once.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That swapping pins for solder has sorted a few stator issues.
It's a bit more work for sure but done properly and all other things being equal,
shouldn't need any other attention for a long time

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW
Here's Electrex machine winding yer typical 18 bobbin bike stator
makes it look so easy dont it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRhEE_q-0I

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I've gone with the Electrex , it does seem the sensible option.

Just hope it comes quick.

I've had to do quite a lot of, town/city riding at the moment, something to be honest I don't do very option. I do have a Z750S also, which was/is my summer bike.

It's very good for the pillion I take, but so much wider than the ER6 and I can't filter as well.

I've had one of them weeks, bike chain snapped in Hebden Bridge, new caliper (ceased piston) on the car and then the alternator on the ER.

I'm also used to refuse to contemplate replacing my ER6 as it had never let me down, now I'm thinking, i've had it 14 years. Maybe its time.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the AC output? I had to rescue my mate last week when his bike wasn't charging. He was talking about replacing the stator too but I got it home and ran a few tests, it turned out to be a bad connection.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I'm also used to refuse to contemplate replacing my ER6 as it had never let me down, now I'm thinking, i've had it 14 years. Maybe its time.

Hey, shit happens. As I said, keep your bike long enough and stator replacement becomes likely. Fix it, and you should be good for another 14 years. I'd wager that a well maintained ER6 should be good for 200K miles/320K km. Consider the stator to be a consumable, like chains, sprockets, and tyres; it just so happens that it needs to be replaced once or twice in the life cycle of the bike. Sounds like your ER6 has been reliable and durable. Don't give up on it. Cool

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what I know:
West country windings were started in Plymouth by 2 ex Royal Navy electrical engineers, hence the name.
It had a good reputation and amongst others, many CX owners sent their CDI stators there.
I once sent a CX stator from a guy Italy there to be done.

A digest of what I read:
It eventually sold up to a logistics company and was located to their current location in Essex.
Keeping the name looks like an attempt to trade on the good name,
where have we seen that before?
Apparently most of the employees are contractors and quality and results can vary
from very good to poor
Rewinds probably in £150 region quite possibly more.
if its like the way the cost radiator re-cores has shot up
a recore was £100-£120 a few years ago
and I was quoted £250-£300 just before I flogged the CX

In fairness, Electrex/Electrosport has a similar variable rep too

You pays yer money

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go new, just make sure you pay for it on credit card, not debit. At least if it blows up in a month and the supplier does naff all for it, your card company is on the hook for it, not you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1