Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

America - The land of the --------?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A deity isn't mentioned at all in the constitution. The first amendment introduced freedom of religion and includes freedom to not be subject of any religion if you don't want to.

Ah yes, you're right, I'm thinking of the Declaration of Independence. However, Ste makes an interesting point.

Nevermind. In my opinion, one should limit the powers of the state as much as is possible, and give all respect to individual freedoms. Why should the state rule on abortion, one way or the other?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

What do we do with the "nutters" who, for religious or other reasons, find the concept of abortion abhorrent?

Give them the stiff ignoring that they quite clearly deserve. Don't forget the constitution specifically doesn't really mention religeon so laws shouldn't be set based on religeous opinion.

Ignore wrongthink Thinking Don't you feel up for a little persecution? Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flaw about your examples of laws being used to limits rights is that the constitution was used to give people rights and they've now lost them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ruling was that as abortion wasn't explicitly in the constitution that jamming it in via Roe v Wade was a bit of a stretch.

What I'm not hearing is if abortion is a human right then it should be in the constitution, the correct approach IMHO. Sounds more like legislators are afraid of the work involved in passing an amendment; packing the Supreme Court being a much easier option apparently Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

What I'm not hearing is if abortion is a human right ...

How can a human right only apply to half of the population? Do you mean a human female right? But then we don't know what a woman is... Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:02 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

What I'm not hearing is if abortion is a human right ...

How can a human right only apply to half of the population? Do you mean a human female right? But then we don't know what a woman is... Confused

As soon as you get pregnant by all means have an abortion.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

As soon as you get pregnant by all means have an abortion.

Thank you. But with the cost of living being so high right now, it's a useful food source.

However, my point is abortion is not a human right in itself. I would say that the human right is the right to decide on what happens with your own body. Same with feckin vaccines.
Ya see, if you get the basics right, the bigger picture, then these other ones don't tend to come up so much.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, where were all the "my body, my choice" ppl when they tried to make vaccines mandatory?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaccines were never mandatory - not at any point.

I wonder how you feel about those women for whom pregnancy was mandatory.

If men were in this position I guarantee you that this would not have been overturned.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Yes, we were thankfully able to avoid that one here. But it was touch-and-go for a while.

Quote:
I wonder how you feel about those women for whom pregnancy was mandatory.

I'm sorry?! You're going to have to provide a credible source for THAT claim!
I think you're confusing another issue with the abortion one.

Again, if you stopped state interference with people's lives, and just stood up for the human rights of what people can and can't do with their own bodies, these arguments wouldn't be necessary.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that pregnancy resulting from forced sexual activity counts as mandatory pregnancy.

Presuming the sicko doing the impregnating is less than careful about their 'entrance'.

But we agree, there should be free choice without state intervention.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:47 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like wade v roe did when it made abortion a constitutional right that the states and the federal government couldn't over ride?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that Panel of judges .....

The majority opinion, authored by;
Justice Samuel Alito - not by Trump but guess what, another Catholic.
Justices Clarence Thomas - not by Trump but yet another Catholic
Neil Gorsuch - nominated by Trump
Brett Kavanaugh - nominated by Trump
Amy Coney Barrett. - Catholic and 7 kids. Presumably she's anti abortion - nominated by Trump

There's a pattern here isn't there. Not exactly impartial is it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A bit like wade v roe did when it made abortion a constitutional right that the states and the federal government couldn't over ride?

And you think that's a bad thing? That abortion should be a constitutional right?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:
Are you a fan of the Taliban as well?

I wasn't till now but given you've all but mentioned Hitler I'll re-evaluate them Wink

The Taliban are the ultimate Bloke cult really, guns motorcycles they just need to start getting into beer amd fags, im surprised theyve not caught on here as a backlash against modern western life.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I think you'll find that pregnancy resulting from forced sexual activity counts as mandatory pregnancy.

I disagree with your use of language.
Rape is a question of criminal activity and should be dealt with as such. It is not mandated.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

The Taliban are the ultimate Bloke cult really, guns motorcycles they just need to start getting into beer amd fags, im surprised theyve not caught on here as a backlash against modern western life.

But have you seen the bikes they choose? Nothing terribly blokey there Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Good point, where were all the "my body, my choice" ppl when they tried to make vaccines mandatory?

versus

UncleBFester wrote:

Do the words I type get changed to something else before they get to other people's screens?!

Biden mandated companies with over 100 employees get everyone jabbed. It got thrown out by those horrid, horrid undemocratic courts.

I'd count that as an attempt.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Rape is a question of criminal activity and should be dealt with as such. It is not mandated.

I don't really care - the point is, abortion (if that was what the person who had been raped and then got pregnant as a result of that wanted)) should absolutely be a choice.

Completely aside to any criminal proceedings.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Do you want to be the one taking the piss out of the guy on a Chinese 125 whos carrying an AK?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Amy Coney Barrett. - Catholic and 7 kids. Presumably she's anti abortion - nominated by Trump

And three of them said they wouldn't revoke wade v roe as it was settled law during their senate hearings to confirm their superior court position.

So liars under oath. if the Democrats have any sense they'll wait till after the midterms before they impeach them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Democrats haven't got a good track record when it comes to impeaching ppl Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Do you want to be the one taking the piss out of the guy on a Chinese 125 whos carrying an AK?

They're lousy shots even when they're not on a bike - I'll take the chance.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

The opposite effect could also be true - that is to say that the lefties didn't want to upset the applecart and acted on a moral standpoint whereas the righties went for the application of the law only, which is what the Supreme Court is there for.

Either way, it would all be absolutely out of the question if - big if - Democrats actually did what they said they'd do for once and, you know, taken things seriously and honoured election promises.

Joe Biden himself, back in the mid 80's, said the following:

Quote:
There is an overwhelming universal criticism from both sides that Roe Vs Wade was not a very well reasoned decision. Most constitutional scholars do not offer that as an example of a decision that is well written and well reasoned.

Democrats have been in power enough times over the past 50 years to have done something about it, but they couldn't actually give a rats ass so it turns out Rolling Eyes

Joe is also Roman Catholic, but presumably you knew that?

He voted to overturn Roe Vs Wade in 1982.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/politics/biden-abortion-rights.html

All that might well look irrelevant but it isn't. Roe Vs Wade has been on shaky ground right from the start and even the President currently bawing away at how unfair everything is, is down in history proving just that. This is important.

In response to that shaky ground, in 2007 Planned Parenthood asked Obama outright what he would do to ensure that both in terms of practical access and judicial matters, that there was support for women who want an abortion, he said:

Quote:
the first thing I would do is sign the Freedom of Choice Act

He never signed it Rolling Eyes

He later went on record to say 'it's not a priority' in 2009. This was a point when the Democrats had a Super-Majority in the Senate and a pretty shitkicking majority in the house. It would have passed through easier than a Vindaloo with rancid mutton.

Who was Obama's Vice President again? Was it a certain Joe Biden?

What really stinks on this is Democrats are using it as both a vote harvesting opportunity AND a fundraiser. It's outrageous.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I don't really care - the point is, abortion (if that was what the person who had been raped and then got pregnant as a result of that wanted)) should absolutely be a choice.

Completely aside to any criminal proceedings.

I just think that language is quite important, especially where such sensitive subjects are concerned, added to which nuance is easily lost through discussions through the internet, and it is important not to confuse such issues, nor be overly emotional about them.

But rape is really a separate discussion to abortion. Abortion considerations are after the fact of something that should not happen in the first place in this case.

The criminal justice system needs to ensure that there is a strong deterrent against rape, but you will never eliminate it entirely, alas.

My only real argument here is for autonomy of choice where one's own body is concerned, whether it be abortion or any other kind of medical procedure.

I do not think it is a good idea to make this a political issue. Keep such decisions away from the state.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5