Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

News from home

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: News from home Reply with quote

St Austell Earth Goddess sculpture vandalised with a traffic cone before official unveiling

Spelling's not improved since I left:

Quote:
St Austell's most contraversial art instillation...

https://i2-prod.cornwalllive.com/incoming/article7251549.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_EC_CL_StAustellConeSculpture.jpg

Quote:
Dozens of locals poked fun at earth Goddess' new cone. One said they thought it was an "improvement" to the statue, while another said they were unsure on first glance which part, pictured, was the vandalism.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit gaudy, but then the buildings look like they're made of lego blocks anyway Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The architectural ruination of St. Austell dates back to when I was a kid: the classic Brutalist grey concrete shopping centre was knocked down and replaced with Brutalist beige concrete Rolling Eyes

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture from before it was vandalised or is that how it is supposed to look?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBF I did have to look at it twice but yes: the inserted traffic cone *is* the vandalism. I assume late at night some wags bowled up ready with spray cans and went "oh... what do we do now?"

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:21 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did that cost?
Whoever created that* and convinced the local authorities to pay them for it , must be laughing all the way to the bank.

*Childish nonsense made with no skill

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government money, lotto money, EU money (before the bad times, i.e. Brexit.) Cornwall was, till we left the EU, about the poorest locale in Europe so loads of money to be snaffled up for the "right" idea Sad

And there's plenty of those to be found. If you check out the satellite images most of the solar farms are around the moors and the downs... you know, the places wreathed in fog and low cloud for 50% of the year Rolling Eyes

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The architectural ruination of St. Austell dates back to when I was a kid: the classic Brutalist grey concrete shopping centre was knocked down and replaced with Brutalist beige concrete Rolling Eyes

I think you'll find that the architectural ruination of St. Austell long precedes either of our arrivals on this planet.
Seems rather fitting that a place as auspicious should have a statue that has already garnered the nickname 'the Pork Sword'.

IIRC St. Austell could easily be called the arsehole of the universe...if it weren't for Redruth and Camborne. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should obviously have a soft spot for one's own home town but every time I go back it never fails to disappoint Sad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
One should obviously have a soft spot for one's own home town but every time I go back it never fails to disappoint Sad

Sorry, I was a bit harsh.
St Austell always struck me as an oddity, it has so much going for it but never seems to capitalise upon those things. The clay industry has a lot to answer for but without it the Eden Project wouldn't have located there and the clay museum is always worth a visit. On the town's southern end is a great little port for tall ships and the nearby coastline is stunning but the town planners don't seem to appreciate that they are sitting in the middle of a gold mine that is lacking only in a bit of foresight.
Things would probably be better for the town if they just blew up Carlyon Bay's slum dwellings.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a bit of an art critic masel, I believe Glasgow owns the most Artistically Disfigured Sculpture/statue than anywhere.

First they came with a cone on Wellington. It was removed by the cooncil.
It was swiftly replaced by drunks.
Removed by the cooncil.
Replaced by drunks.
Removed. A tooing and frowing ensued over decades until now it has been accepted by everyone that we like oor duke of Wellington statue with a cone for a hat.
His horse sports one too.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So our candidates for arsehole of the Universe:

1. St. Austell, Redruth and Camborne. Which Google maps tell me is actually a line.

Why? Ruined by immigrants [from London and Oxfordshire].

2. Luton, Watford and Aylesbury

Why? Ruined by people who according to government statistics aren't even in the country.

3. Hell, Grimsby and scunthorpe

When governments hand out left overs of London development to the North, the Grim Triangle is just that little bit too far to get any. No immigrants though?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before one of the main issues in Cornwall is housing. All the even vaguely nice looking old cottages are either rented out to holidaymakers or snapped up as 2nd homes. Up spring breeze-block shoeboxes for the displaced locals in highly inappropriate areas. Mostly it's so-called clay tips and pits. Thing is most of these areas have been left untouched by man for many years and home to quite a lot of wildlife but fuck that, get them houses built! St.Austell and the surrounding area are particularly bad for this.

But as for the town the centrepiece has always been how to fuck up the "shopping centre" area (down from Fore Street) and that sets the tone for everything else.

Charlestown is entirely in private ownership and so Restormel and Cornwall County Council don't get to fuck with it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornwall, Cornwall, Cornwall..

Cornwall can fuck itself...

a bloody long way and sod all to do when you get there.

Equivalent/nicer places without crowds of wankers in Northern France
or even south Wales..

Sympathy for the younger locals and all that, but someone had to sell those properties to the out of towners in the first place, so greed has a part to play.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in Dagenham, I to have laugh at what people call shitholes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Yep, if you weren't growing up regularly having knives pulled on you, then you didn't have it too bad in my book Smile

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Yep, if you weren't growing up regularly having knives pulled on you, then you didn't have it too bad in my book Smile

It wan't too long ago that a bloke was stabbed on the doorstep of my ex's previous house. The South East isn't the only place with people who use knives.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
M.C wrote:

It wan't too long ago that a bloke was stabbed on the doorstep of my ex's previous house. The South East isn't the only place with people who use knives.

I actually had the likes of Liverpool and Glasgow in mind as well, but I know people who grew up in not so great Northern towns, and they're aghast when you talk about what it was like growing up in a wonderfully enriched multi-cultural utopia diverse hellhole.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Cornwall, Cornwall, Cornwall..

Cornwall can fuck itself...

a bloody long way and sod all to do when you get there.

Equivalent/nicer places without crowds of wankers in Northern France
or even south Wales..

Sympathy for the younger locals and all that, but someone had to sell those properties to the out of towners in the first place, so greed has a part to play.

It's well over thirty years since I visited Cornwall more like forty years really as it was a bit of a day trip destination from where i stayed near Weston Super mare. It always seemed like a place full of middle class working class people, very wierd like it had been built and populated by Disneyland. I also cant understand why if you're in a convienient distance from a ferry port why you would go to Cornwall when there's france.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
a place full of middle class working class people

Have you been on the sauce?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
As I've mentioned before one of the main issues in Cornwall is housing. All the even vaguely nice looking old cottages are either rented out to holidaymakers or snapped up as 2nd homes.

A new estate is being built up the road from the Eden project. Aesthetically awful and crap transport links but at least they have some houses Rolling Eyes .

St Ives is apparently around 40% holiday let/Air B&B/second homes properties now. Like a weird ghost town out of season, all the shops and pubs/restaurants are always after staff as well it seems.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
a place full of middle class working class people

Have you been on the sauce?

Compared with where I grew up everywhere is middle class.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
A new estate is being built up the road from the Eden project. Aesthetically awful and crap transport links but at least they have some houses Rolling Eyes

It was meant to be an "Eco Town" but beyond solar panels on the roof (that were original placed on the north-facing side by the idiot builders) I think that aspiration has been dropped.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1