Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Census release

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:50 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: 2021 Census release Reply with quote

Polarbear posted about this yesterday but lost his bottle and deleted it. Laughing

How the population changed where you live: Census 2021
28 June 2022

The population of England and Wales has increased by more than 3.5 million in the 10 years leading up to Census 2021. Using the first results from this census, we look at which places have seen the biggest increases and decreases, which areas had the largest growth in different age groups, and how your chosen local authority area compares with others.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/censuspopulationchange/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/censustransformationprogramme/census2021outputs/releaseplans

Wub

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So under Labour: 'Between 2001 and 2011 the figure for England and Wales grew by 7.8%'.

Under the Tories: 'It grew by more than 3.5 million (6.3%) since the previous census in 2011'.

1971: 48.7 million
1981: 48.5 million
1991: 49.9 million
2001: 52 million
2011: 56.1 million
2021: 59.6 million

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people are not represented on that census.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see my area, Thurrock, has been massively enriched with all these doctors, physicists and nuclear scientists that we're importing from the continent. I was beginning to wonder where they were all going.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:28 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I wonder how many people are not represented on that census.

We can't be far away from the total population being more than 100 million.

In 2007 one big supermarket chain reckoned there were 80 million people living in the UK and a major, non-commercial agricultural institution reckoned there were 77 million.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-5328454.html

More recent data is required but appears to be rather scarce. Probably because publishing such data would be considered a racist hate crime.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says a lot about a population's mentality when the census bureau feel the need to publish an 'interactive article and game'. Is the populace so numerically challenged nowadays that they only understand data when it's presented as a game. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
It says a lot about a population's mentality when the census bureau feel the need to publish an 'interactive article and game'. Is the populace so numerically challenged nowadays that they only understand data when it's presented as a game. Laughing

It's probably just to encourage engagement. They've said this is going to be the last census, although apparently they also said that about the last two, which's interesting as those are the ones that show the population and demographic changes taking place.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My town, Bedford - the highest increase in the East of England +17.6%.
No question through immigration..traditionally the town has welcomed folk from Italy, India/Pakistan, West Indies in the past, but most recently it seems Eastern Europe - the nation-orientated food stores tell a tale.

Not necessarily a bad thing in my view, once they've all settled in ( down) but that can take decades...

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
My town, Bedford - the highest increase in the East of England +17.6%.
No question through immigration..traditionally the town has welcomed folk from Italy, India/Pakistan, West Indies in the past, but most recently it seems Eastern Europe - the nation-orientated food stores tell a tale.

Not necessarily a bad thing in my view, once they've all settled in ( down) but that can take decades...

I think most people feel that way, they don't necessarily have an issue with them but the numbers over a short amount of time have been insane.

Poles are now Britain’s biggest migrant group - Poles have overtaken Indians to become the UK’s biggest immigrant group after 11 years of large-scale migration since Poland joined the European Union.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust the stats anyway. This is based on people who took the census, and migrants are probably the least likely to fill out the forms. Even many of the legal 1st gen migrants might not actually be able to read the form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you can get the form in any language you like, certainly if you did the online version (which was piss easy versus the paper version.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I don't trust the stats anyway. This is based on people who took the census, and migrants are probably the least likely to fill out the forms. Even many of the legal 1st gen migrants might not actually be able to read the form.

Obviously they under-estimate but they still paint a picture.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that net immigration has stayed about the same, but actual immigration has increased, but balanced out by more people leaving.

This is a worrying statistic because it is often the most able people who leave.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:02 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
This is a worrying statistic because it is often the most able people who leave.

Worse things are happening.

https://i.imgur.com/B5HQQ9i.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think that net immigration has stayed about the same, but actual immigration has increased, but balanced out by more people leaving.

Stayed at historically high levels yeah Wink

https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/283287/net-migration-figures-of-the-united-kingdom-y-on-y.jpg
[obviously 2020 is the coof]

The problem with 'net migration' is they use it to gloss over the fact we've had 500k+ immigrants arriving a year for the last 20 years, many of them with no intention of leaving.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:35 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we assmuing that all the people who emigrated from the UK will decide to come back then?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err no? I'm saying when you break down the data:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/640/cpsprodpb/07FB/production/_101134020_chart-imm_to_and_from_v4_640-nc.png

That year we gained 90,000 EU citizens (cos a lot do return), 205,000 non-eu citizens (cos new lyfe), and 'lost' 52,000 Brits. Extrapolate that over 20 years Pale

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of the British citizens who left were naturalised immigrants?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they record how many I doubt they'd publish it, it's probably not that many.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:12 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition only 80k more for the 'rest of the world' team? Tbh it looks like we are getting proportionally less than you would imagine. After all 2/5ths of the world don't live in the eu.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In addition only 80k more for the 'rest of the world' team? Tbh it looks like we are getting proportionally less than you would imagine. After all 2/5ths of the world don't live in the eu.

80k more? It was 285k in 80k out, so as I said above a 205k gain for RotW that year.

And no we're in the top 5 countries:
https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/26424.jpeg

Last edited by M.C on 21:16 - 13 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Net migration is a pretty pointless stat. An extra 100,000 doctors and engineers but loose 50,000 rapists? I think most ppl would be in favour of that. Shame it's the other way round.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

We are importing migrants from backward illiberal countries. So you want these immigrants voting on rights for women and LGBT in the UK then? Or else you wouldn't bring them in. And what are their views on these issues, lets look...

https://i.postimg.cc/kgHqXgpv/lgbtsyria.png

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:02 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

We are importing migrants from backward illiberal countries. So you want these immigrants voting on rights for women and LGBT in the UK then? Or else you wouldn't bring them in. And what are their views on these issues, lets look...

Maybe they want to leave that backwards illiterate country because of all those?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Maybe they want to leave that backwards illiterate country because of all those?

Maybe they don't. Luckily for you, you're a man and straight, so you don't really care either way? Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2