Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki AP50 : oil mix pump priming?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

marc426
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:39 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Suzuki AP50 : oil mix pump priming? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

For a reason unknown to me, my google search of a suzuki AP50 board/owner club led me here and for another reason, I decided to stay and try BCF! Laughing

I'm a vintage bike/cars (XT125, Motobécane LT2, Honda CB125, BMW E21, Mini, Dodge...) enthusiast and I recently acquired an old suzuki AP50 in quite good shape!

Problem is the following : I cleaned the oil tank (it's a separate lubrication 2stroke) and filled it up with some blue 2stroke synthetic oil.
I then undid the oil fittings at the crank bearing to check if any oil was leaking but...

Nothing... it got a bit greasy at one point but no proper flow to speak of (I was making the engine turn with a drill and a socket).

And though I realise the flow will be very little (2% of the fuel consumption isn't much...) but the oil hoses won't even turn blue of the new oil I put in.

Did I miss a part where I have to prime the pump or something?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marc

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the the motor not have to be running to draw 2T in?

marc426
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed!

But I figured turning it at enough RPM for a certain amount of time would have the same effect (it's a positive displacement oil pump as far as I can see).

I did have it at 5-600 RPM for about 10seconds.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Yamaha autolube pumps there is a priming screw that you have to remove and wait for oil to flow through before the pump will work. Does your bike have a screw on the oil pump?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

marc426
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:56 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does have quite a similar screw!

And I did remove it trying to prime it. Some oil leaked but it wasn't "flowing".

I'll try it again tonight.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the small strokers I'm accustomed to, it can take some little time with the motor running for the oil to make its way up to the carb. Hence using generous amounts in the bore etc being necessary when putting a top end together. It would certainly need to be running to draw oil in, I think.

Re the prime screw, it can often take a few minutes for the oil to emerge in a constant flow.

Nice bike, BTW. One of the classic tiddlers. Though thankfully not reaching the insane prices of the Fizzies as yet.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc426 wrote:
Well it does have quite a similar screw!

And I did remove it trying to prime it. Some oil leaked but it wasn't "flowing".

I'll try it again tonight.

It doesn't 'flow' out of the prime screw, it just sort of dribbles out. If it dribbles out with no air bubbles then it should be primed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-mix with half a gallon and go around the block a few times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stonefly
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ^
You should always pre-mix a 2t after a rebuild to give the engine lube while the pump does its thing.
Did you leave the oil filler cap off while turning the engine over? It may help to do so while the oil finds its way through the oil pipe.
Previous....Yamaha FS1E, Honda SS50, Suzuki AP50, BSA Bantam D14, Honda CD175, Honda CB250N, Kawasaki Z250A3, Yamaha RD250E, Kawasaki Z400, Kawasaki Z500, Kawasaki GPz550, Honda NTV600, Kawasaki GT750, Kawasaki Z1000R, Kawasaki GPX250

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you premix, you're going to be running weak and the chances of a seizure/holed piston increase considerably, IMHO. I have never premixed a bike with a pump and never had any issue.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have bled the pump....hold the oil pump cable fully open to speed up the oil delivery UNTILL you have purged the old oil out of the lines.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
If you premix, you're going to be running weak and the chances of a seizure/holed piston increase considerably, IMHO. I have never premixed a bike with a pump and never had any issue.

We're not talking about forever, just until the pump has managed to get a solid flow of oil through the pipes to the head/carb.

When the oil has reached it's destination, you can fill the tank to dilute the oil inside, or just drain and put neat fuel in. Whichever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:53 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Once you have bled the pump....hold the oil pump cable fully open to speed up the oil delivery UNTILL you have purged the old oil out of the lines.

This sounds a better idea than attempting to run premix.

Remember that most petrol is now E5 5% ethanol now too which will make the bike run leaner anyway...

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most workshop manuals advocate a mix of bleeding the pump and running pre mix. My gp125 had oil fed to the big end bearings and the manual suggested priming the pump, as pre mix doesnt get oil far enough on disc valve two strokes apparently.
My piaggio 2t has no provision for bleeding the pump, the pump is a throwaway item that lasts about 15000km, and the workshop manual advises to run 2 litres of pre mix at 50:1 if air has enterd the oil lines, but the oil is simply admitted after the carb. I have since removed the oil pump and run premix. I had to upjet as it would not run well with oil in the fuel.

If you can bleed it you should and maybe 100:1 as well?o
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 95 days between these two posts...

Fat bloke
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:42 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Oil pump priming a50 models Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I have an oil pump problem of my own and found this post and thought I would add my two penny's worth. The Suzuki A50P / other A50 models have an oil pump without a bleed screw. To bleed the system you need to prime the two feed pipes first. The way I did it was to disconnect them from the pump then put a nut and washer on the union, then use a seringe to push 2 stroke oil into the pipe until the pipe is full. Then immediately take the nut and washer off the union and reconnect the union back on the pump. The 2 stroke oil is thick enough not to run out before reconnection. Once this is done put some oil in the oil tank (don't over fill at this stage in case you spill a lot) disconnect the oil in pipe to the oil pump and allow the oil to gravity bleed down to the pump and then connect the union to the pump. Job done. A couple of warnings: Some people are advocating premix, this is dangerous because you are weakening the petrol and therefore making the engine run week which could cause overheating and possible engine damage. There is no need to remove the oil tank cap, the tank has a breather. Make sure you have lubricated the engine internally because there will be some bubbles in the system because the pump itself will have some air in it. Before starting make sure the oil strainer in the oil tank isn't clogged.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1