Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
whats wrong with leather these days?

Nothing. I have an Alpinstars Octane jacket that I picked up off the discount rack. Glad I did! It is made of perforated leather with CE rated armor on shoulders, elbows, and back. Cruising around Moroccan roads, it's been up to 45C this summer. The jacket breathes so well it feels like I am wearing a tee shirt at speed. I've had the opportunity to crash-test a leather jacket (First Mfg.) and blistered from the heat of friction sliding over the tarmac. But the leather held up; no rash. For me, leather is the gold standard. Cool

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:38 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
will textiles hold up against leather in a crash? ive always thought not.

if you get some that are AA or AAA rated then yes, still lots of stuff on the market only A rated which will only save you at residential speeds

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:39 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

is any of that actually safety rated ? no mention of it in the listing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is, no. It feels quite well made though. I've seen Rukka textiles that have had zips fail and which look more worn with fewer miles on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Rukka jackets and trousers are far, far better - but they don't actually look or feel as good as I expected when I had a close at friends' stuff.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:30 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive recently got a Klim Marrakech, and its by far the most comfortable jacket i own, but its a summer jacket really, the idea is that you wear a rain over jacket if its gonna rain, and if its too cold from all the air coming through the jacket they do a windproof under layer which turns it into more of a spring/autumn jacket, AA rated too which is very rare for a summer jacket

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great contributions, thanks. I’ve been looking at Motolegends’ YouTube channel which has lots of honest advice too. The Halvarssons brand is currently floating my boat (Karma BRUN) but it occurred to me that I’ve developed my own system of layering when required (thin Merino jumper underlayer, PVC waterproof overs) so I don’t need one main or mid-layer jacket to do it all, albeit that might be nice at a price, as long as it’s vented.

Halvarssons also sell under the Lindstrand moniker (different range) and I’m looking at the Zagreb jacket. Trying to decide whether I’ll continue to like the brown version which is almost £100 cheaper in some places (so £205). As I understand it the fabric is AA-safety rated, but the armour only A (?). I don’t think there is sleeve or waist adjustment but it either fits or it doesn’t.

I’m off work next week so I’ll visit Bike Stop and OnYerBike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:00 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
All great contributions, thanks. I’ve been looking at Motolegends’ YouTube channel which has lots of honest advice too. The Halvarssons brand is currently floating my boat (Karma BRUN) but it occurred to me that I’ve developed my own system of layering when required (thin Merino jumper underlayer, PVC waterproof overs) so I don’t need one main or mid-layer jacket to do it all, albeit that might be nice at a price, as long as it’s vented.

Halvarssons also sell under the Lindstrand moniker (different range) and I’m looking at the Zagreb jacket. Trying to decide whether I’ll continue to like the brown version which is almost £100 cheaper in some places (so £205). As I understand it the fabric is AA-safety rated, but the armour only A (?). I don’t think there is sleeve or waist adjustment but it either fits or it doesn’t.

I’m off work next week so I’ll visit Bike Stop and OnYerBike.

Motolegends will beat anyone elses price by 10%, ive done it many times, also their service is 2nd to none, their YouTube channel is great, are you far from the shop ?

If your all about the layers, consider the Klim Marrakesh, but you will probably want the Klim Zephyr for underneath in early spring/autumn

Also, Halvarssons have just brought out new armour, a bit more like D30 ghost though not quite the same, and its pretty cheap, so dont let the armour put you off, also IIRC armour is rated as level 1 or 2, not A, AA etc, i might have this the wrong way around but i think level 1 is obviously more comfortable but not as impact absorbing, level 2 is better but sacrifice a bit of comfort, if you buy any Halvarssons item with the original armour you will want to swap it out anyway, its pretty stiff

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Let's be real, they are only a face mask away from being a gimp suit Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Let's be real, they are only a face mask away from being a gimp suit Laughing

I had to look this up. This is disgusting! Where do you come up with this stuff? Shocked

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
This is disgusting! Where do you come up with this stuff? Shocked

Glasgow.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:
This is disgusting! Where do you come up with this stuff? Shocked

Glasgow.

https://c.tenor.com/k1wghCDPMRgAAAAC/pervert-bunny.gif

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Motolegends will beat anyone elses price by 10%, ive done it many times, also their service is 2nd to none, their YouTube channel is great, are you far from the shop ?

…if you buy any Halvarssons item with the original armour you will want to swap it out anyway, its pretty stiff

That last point would grate if I’d just paid their upmarket prices. I’m near Cambridge so Guildford wouldn’t be too far. Bike Stop in Stevenage is close though.

What’s with these small, soft-style back protectors? I thought they were supposed to stop your spine twisting. I have an Alpinestars back protector in a cupboard somewhere which you wear like a rucksack under your jacket, it’s like a flippin’ toboggan, segmented like a woodlouse. It never fitted my back (too long) and I quickly stopped using it. It was quite rigid though. The D3O back protectors are completely different. Is suppression of blunt force impact now the aim, not twist-prevention? Or did I misunderstand the whole thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it was all about air vests now

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The D3O back protectors are completely different. Is suppression of blunt force impact now the aim, not twist-prevention? Or did I misunderstand the whole thing?

I don't know, but I share your observation. My leather jacket came with a spongebob back protector, which I immediately converted to a toolbox drawer liner and fitted the jacket with a forcefield back protector. Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of 3DO. I have it some of my gloves, one pair of casual riding trainers, several jackets and one pair of strides.
I often look out for 2nd hand 3DO armour pieces on ebay so I can upgrade other clothing I have.
I believe it's designed to spread initial impact force over a larger area, all I know is it's really easy to get in and out of armour
pockets, doesn't split like some hard shell armour can and is so flexible that it means I can wear kit that fits SNUG without
discomfort. It's literally the only knee armour I've ever been comfortable wearing for over an hour. I've done the FORTNINE hammer
test, yes you know you've been hit by something but you'd never guess it was a hammerhead. I have a rucksack style forcefield
back protector too. Not rigid as such and slightly better once warm but I've only worn it twice, too much faffery.
3DO and Pinlock are the two best kit innovations in decades IMO.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
BRUN wrote:

…if you buy any Halvarssons item with the original armour you will want to swap it out anyway, its pretty stiff

That last point would grate if I’d just paid their upmarket prices. I’m near Cambridge so Guildford wouldn’t be too far. Bike Stop in Stevenage is close though.

What’s with these small, soft-style back protectors? I thought they were supposed to stop your spine twisting. I have an Alpinestars back protector in a cupboard somewhere which you wear like a rucksack under your jacket, it’s like a flippin’ toboggan, segmented like a woodlouse. It never fitted my back (too long) and I quickly stopped using it. It was quite rigid though. The D3O back protectors are completely different. Is suppression of blunt force impact now the aim, not twist-prevention? Or did I misunderstand the whole thing?

their near rukka quality gear for half the money or less, replacing elbow armour for another £20 isnt that much of a big deal

and yea the armour your talking about is off road/race stuff by the sounds of it, most of the stuff for on the road is impact absorbtion, they are soft and flexible but upon impact stiffen up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like richa with the 3d0, just don't care about 'waterproof', just wear cheap waterproofs over my gear. Rukka may be amazing, but does not dry out quick enough for everyday use.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I like richa with the 3d0, just don't care about 'waterproof', just wear cheap waterproofs over my gear. Rukka may be amazing, but does not dry out quick enough for everyday use.

My Richa jacket is plenty waterproof. Wore it through two winters now and never let any water in.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current shortlist:

Arrow RST Pro Series Paveway £280.

Arrow Lindstrands Zagreb Waterproof Textile Jacket (in black), £299.

Arrow Halvarssons Vansbro (in black), £529 (Mad money but I do enough all-weather miles to justify it.)

I’ve been fretting about whether side-slash pockets are a secure place for my house keys compared to top-opening pockets.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Would be my pick of the bunch.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:58 - 15 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would watch these if you havent already

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Choosing-the-perfect-commuting-suit

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Motorcycle-commuting-touring-outfit-for-under-2500-pounds-2020

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Motorcycle-commuting-touring-outfit-for-under-1500-pounds-2020

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Motorcycle-commuting-touring-outfit-for-under-1000-pounds-2020

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Ultimate-touring-and-commuting-motorcycle-outfit-money-no-object-2020

if you do a lot of all weather miles i would definitely go laminate

the top Oxford laminate is supposed to be very very good so thats probably worth a look too, might be the Hinterland but check

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop didn’t have my first two short-listed jackets in stock or in my size and I was there to try and buy so I bought the Halvarssons Vansbro jacket. Nice fit and quality feel. It gets noticeably more air through it than my old Wolf jacket. That might be partly due to small cuff vents but also because the central chest vents are clear of rucksack straps. It’s lighter than the old jacket too.
Very Happy

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revit jacket, Armadillo trousers.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Motolegends makes engaging videos, they are commercially-driven. Chris sounds knowledgeable, but his “facts” can be incorrect.

In contrast, I have far more trust in Bennetts BikeSocial reviews:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products

Usually, Bennetts’ reviews are well-researched and thorough. And Bennetts’ motivations (e.g., reducing rider injuries because it’s an insurance company, not selling gear) are better aligned with ours.

Frappawotsit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I read about this recently and interestingly the outcome is that if you're riding high speed areas with plenty of safe run off areas (think tracks) then leather for sliding distance is great, however the reality for road riding is, if you keep sliding, you're likely to hit something hard (curbs, lampposts, walls, etc etc) which will cause you severe damage.

Textile clothing is designed to address this problem, it specifically "grabs" the surface and brings you to a stop as quickly as possible. It doesn't wear as well in a slide as leather, but it's designed to stop you quickly and therefore not need to slide so long, whilst at the same time hopefully stopping you before you've run out of space and collide with the hard obstruction.

Leather is perceived as "better" because we see all the super speed racers wearing it, however, they are riding in an environment that is suited to leather, specifically designed to keep sliding without colliding with obstructions! But for the road environment, it's generally the case that textile clothing of decent standard (AA or AAA) are more suitable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3