Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

comment, more comment, and review Mitas MC7 motorcycle tire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: comment, more comment, and review Mitas MC7 motorcycle tire Reply with quote

In 2019, I purchased a Yamaha YBR 125 for exploring the rural roads here in northern Morocco. I have found the YBR to be pretty well suited to this environment; indeed I have found great enjoyment wringing out that little motor - dodging farm animals, dogs, two-wheel, four-wheel, and foot traffic in town (so far with 100% success, knock on wood!)

Although I never really gave it much thought when I bought the bike, I have been mildly disappointed at the lack of respect my YBR gets in general; dare I say more like borderline disdain. Even the dealer where I purchased the bike, MIFA Motors in Casablanca, wants nothing to do with me. I need tyres. The sales department can’t be bothered, the parts department doesn’t stock - and won’t order - tyres in the size I need. "There are many, many bike parts shops in Casablanca", the guy says, “go find one.”

My problem is that, so far, it has been impossible to find the correct tyre for my YBR. Chinese Cub clones are ubiquitous here; Docker, Rymco, Falcon, the list goes on and on. They’re probably all made in the same factory, and the importer puts the sticker onto the bike to make it into his brand. Lightweight cheap Chinese bikes need lightweight cheap Chinese tyres, and nobody but nobody is going to pay for quality. At first, I foolishly thought it would be cool to upgrade to a nice tyre like the Michelin Pilot Street… Shit. I can’t even find a generic Chinese tyre that meets the minimum standard requirement for my bike.

Which brings me round to the Mitas MC7 90/90-18 51R. It is the correct size, the speed rating is 20 kph higher than recommended. But the load rating is 35kg less than recommended; 195 kg vs. 230 kg.. After 40+ hours trying to find the correct tire, I gave up in disgust and mounted the Mitas. It’s not like I ride with a pillion, ever.

Gress what? The Mitas grips! It performs! No chicken strips! (Sorry, Chickenstrip.) Aside from the substandard load rating, I really like this tyre. I don’t know how it will hold up against the washed-out, degraded tarmac and potholes that litter some of the roads around here, but on improved road surfaces, it is head and shoulders above the Cheng Shen OE tyre that came with the bike. I like it! I may even consider a front tire to match. Cool

Problem is, I'm so anal when it comes to standards, especially safety standards, that my enthusiasm for this tyre is dampened somewhat. I'm absolutely confident that the Mitas is a safer tyre than the 8 year old Chinese POS that it replaced. By my calculation, using the Mitas within its load range rating will reduce my safe load by about 15% (195kg vs 230kg). As long as I avoid pillions and wheelies... OK, pillions.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Mitas trail tyre for the GS 500 'Dual Sport' project I have on the back burner - never ridden more than around the yard on it though..

With respect to the load paranoia I say 'forget it' It's a small bike tyre for a small bike - why would you even care?

More interesting to me is how you came to be in Morocco, where you go and what you do there! I'm quite fascinated since the area is part of Africa you can visit from here by land and sea.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:48 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 3 weeks to get a pilot street for the wifes Honda Wave in the UK. They are in short supply.

The ebay sellers who list them in stock are actually liars.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the cheapest tyres I can, most of the time on-line and that leads me with very interesting companies and models of tyre.
Mitas aren't bad at all for the competitive price, I have had many varied selections as I say of cheap tyres and these days you needn't fear so much.

One thing I have noticed though is on Mitas rear tyres specifically with semi/multipurpose application tread square off quite quickly. But that's the case with most (what they call 'classic') treads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
With respect to the load paranoia I say 'forget it' It's a small bike tyre for a small bike - why would you even care?
I admire your fortitude. As the kilometers accumulate on the Mitas, I am becoming increasingly comfortable with the tyre. About 800km on it right now, and counting..

A100man wrote:
More interesting to me is how you came to be in Morocco, where you go and what you do there! I'm quite fascinated since the area is part of Africa you can visit from here by land and sea.

My first job out of college was field engineer in the Atlas mountains east of Marrakech, working to bring clean, potable water to the mountain villagers. This is the Province d'Azilal, 1987.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52196293148_68c47651e5.jpg
Also in 1987, I got engaged to my wife, so you could say that I married into this country and culture. We returned to California in 1988, where I pursued my career. Always maintained close ties to family and friends in Rabat. Upon retirement in 2015, I cashed out my deferred compensation fund to acquire a small olive grove in Khemisset province 90 km east of Rabat. Now I grow olives and want to learn to press my own olive oil. That is, when I’m not riding the wheels off my little YBR.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52202019747_cb3a1ba5f0.jpg
Here is a map of the area that shows where my main riding roads are. I have become very well acquainted with many of the smaller single lane roads around here. Just this week I took a trip up to Tetouan and M'diq up on the Mediterranean coast (reminds me a lot of southern California). Also attached are a few video clips I took along the way. You can really see a difference between north-central Morocco and the Mediterranean coast. The last clip ends in the far north, looking over the straight of Gibraltar toward the south coast of Spain.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52203061173_ec2fdaa348.jpg
https://youtu.be/i74o02Td46A
https://youtu.be/krr7u7bxEBQ
https://youtu.be/gtPhnGCqeJ8
https://youtu.be/m2fDe77QX9Q

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story.. I have ambitions to visit teh Atlas mountains once my home responsibilities are less. hopefullybefor too many more years pass ..

I look forward to trying the Olive oil Wink

Cheers!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pic shows the bike in its usual riding load state
ie small tank bag and top box, I wouldn't fret over the tyre much.

Hows the spares situation in Morocco?
I have a pukka Yamaha YBR EFI stator and pulser in perfect condition here you can have for postage.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
If the pic shows the bike in its usual riding load state
ie small tank bag and top box, I wouldn't fret over the tyre much.

Hows the spares situation in Morocco?

Ha ha. It's a gym bag cargo netted to the rear seat/rack. A100man has pretty much set me straight regarding the rear tire. Anxiety over the Mitas is diminishing daily.

No idea what the spares situation is here, but if it's anything like the tyre situation, I'm probably best off ordering from UK suppliers, shipping parts to California, then taking them over to Morocco in my checked luggage. I'd like to take you up on your generous offer. PM coming. Thanks.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

23 July 2022: 2150 km on the Mitas. A100man pretty much nailed it with his sage advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1