Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking tickets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Parking tickets Reply with quote

Every now and again I need to park in Sheffield city centre, but rather than use a car park further away I put the bike in a bay on the side of the road outside the office I need to go into.
The bays need paying for via ticket machine, which also has a phone app location on the side.
You also get 20mins free, by printing out a ticket and sticking it in your 'windscreen'.

I only need to be there for 10-15mins but with my luck that'll be when the traffic warden comes round Rolling Eyes . I don't see why I should faff around with a parking app, and there's nowhere to put a ticket on my bike.
What would you do with a ticket/proving you've paid or have been less than 20mins?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:11 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the paper ticket, take a photo of it stuck to your bike before you leave. If it blows off, gets rained on or a scabby barsteward pinches it, at least you've got proof to counter any fines. Could be yet more faff defending a fine, but what else can they expect you to do with a paper ticket?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Parking tickets Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Every now and again I need to park in Sheffield city centre, but rather than use a car park further away I put the bike in a bay on the side of the road outside the office I need to go into.
The bays need paying for via ticket machine, which also has a phone app location on the side.
You also get 20mins free, by printing out a ticket and sticking it in your 'windscreen'.

I only need to be there for 10-15mins but with my luck that'll be when the traffic warden comes round Rolling Eyes . I don't see why I should faff around with a parking app, and there's nowhere to put a ticket on my bike.
What would you do with a ticket/proving you've paid or have been less than 20mins?

I wouldn't bother with a ticket. Get my registration plate on wing-nuts and take it off when I park up and take it with me or put it in the top box. Pretty hard to ticket someone with no registration or easy to locate VIN (like a car). I've also done it and just put the rain cover over the bike. Yet to find a traffic warden yet who's willing to faff about and un-clip the cover, etc to get a registration reading.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to worry, your bike will probably have been half inched by the time you return to it, Sheffield is fast becoming a no go area for motorbikes

I'm so glad i moved down the road to Chesterfield, so much nicer here, but the stories i hear/read about my home town make me not want to visit on 2 wheels (even though my paretns still live there)

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61jeXmobdbL._AC_SX466_.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you can buy stick on tax disc holders pretty cheap these days, you could slip it into one of those.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful ideas there, thanks. After reading I also came up with the idea of using a large peg or clip - but then someone is bound to nick the ticket at some point for themselves.
I ended up taking a photo of a ticket with the bike in the background... Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having your reg plate on is asking for trouble - nice idea in theory, but in practice it'll probably get reported as stolen / dumped or plod will take it away anyway, not to mention the wrist slapping you'll get when you go and get it back.

I do appreciate the issue - if it's an app, your ticket will be logged in the app against your registration, so the warden will see that your vehicle is ticketed appropriately, irrespective of if the ticket is physically there or not. Likewise, of little use to anyone else if the reg doesn't match up (doesn't stop some dimwit trying it on of course).

Parking without the ticket is clearly in contravention though, so you are asking for a fine if you do that. Just get the ticket in the app, stick it on the bike, photo it (as said above) for extra evidence and crack on. Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Not having your reg plate on is asking for trouble - nice idea in theory, but in practice it'll probably get reported as stolen / dumped or plod will take it away anyway, not to mention the wrist slapping you'll get when you go and get it back.

Rode my bike for months without a plate on, got stopped one time, told to put it back on and let go again. My current go-to is putting the rain cover on. So far I've found that nobody can be arsed un-clipping it to check a plate.

Actually I pretty much never pay for parking on the bike, even in multi-stories you can normally go through the gap as the barrier doesn't fully stretch across the whole lane.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Rode my bike for months without a plate on, got stopped one time, told to put it back on and let go again. My current go-to is putting the rain cover on. So far I've found that nobody can be arsed un-clipping it to check a plate.

Actually I pretty much never pay for parking on the bike, even in multi-stories you can normally go through the gap as the barrier doesn't fully stretch across the whole lane.

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just quite surprised. Around here a bike without a plate is assumed to be nicked and acted on accordingly. A lot of car parks around here (most I'd say) are ANPR too so sneaking past a barrier won't help (unless you don't have a plate on that is Laughing ).

We seem to have particularly militant "CPE officers" in Manchester (from what I observe from my office window at least); leave a vehicle unattended and if it's in contravention, within 5 minutes it'll be ticketed around here. It does create a lot of entertainment when someone comes back protesting they'd only been gone 10 minutes

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just quite surprised. Around here a bike without a plate is assumed to be nicked and acted on accordingly. A lot of car parks around here (most I'd say) are ANPR too so sneaking past a barrier won't help (unless you don't have a plate on that is Laughing ).

I think it very much depends on the local authority

Here in Chesvegas, all the Town centre carparks are free for bikes, and any with barrier entry systems actually advise bikes to bypass the barriers on entry and exit

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Here in Chesvegas, all the Town centre carparks are free for bikes, and any with barrier entry systems actually advise bikes to bypass the barriers on entry and exit

Similar to here in Glasgow. The bloke that supervises the Buchannan Galleries car park (which has a barrier that goes all the way across the lane) told me to just bump over the kerb coming in and going out to just go out the John Lewis ramp which bypasses the barriers from the inside-side.

Set off a lot of car alarms taking my 650 in there though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1