Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental health and guns

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Mental health and guns Reply with quote

I'm talking Europe now as we all know any lunatic can get a gun in the good old US of A.

I would say there is a lot of using mental health tags to mask the fact authorities don't want blame attached to ethnicities or religiuos groups but in some cases, like this one in Denmark, it looks to be true.

I'm presuming that as the Danish are saying Soeren Thomassen said police do not believe the attack was an act of terror and that the suspect has a history of mental health issues. that he got the guns illegally but then they say Police say the shooter was armed with a rifle, a pistol and a knife, and while the guns are not believed to be illegal, the suspect did not have a licence for them.

So someone gave them to him or he stole them? Is stealing even feasable as I presume guns have to be kept in a very secure location?

I wonder when the knee jerk reaction to one of these attacks in Europe will be 'Ban all guns in private ownership' because it will happen at some point. Think of the children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-62031793

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member Hungerford and Dunblane?
No race or religous aspects to these, just crazy shit

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe guns are about as redundant as cigarette lighters. Even if you have a valid use, e.g. gamekeeper shooting vermin, the animal rights ppl pop up to say how cruel it is (these being the same ppl who set mink free from pelt farms.) And we certainly have no God-given right to defend ourselves against an oppressive government.

Get rid of all the guns then the crossbows, hunting knives and so on... they'll get to the point were special teams comb the woods and forests for particularly pointy sticks! All to avoid talking about the real issue Sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Mental health and guns Reply with quote

I don't understand how mental health is a justification, people are always going to snap, the question is what weapons do you want them to have access to when they do.

Polarbear wrote:
Police say the shooter was armed with a rifle, a pistol and a knife, and while the guns are not believed to be illegal, the suspect did not have a licence for them.

It's almost as if when you have guns in circulation they find their way into the hands of those who want to do harm.

Polarbear wrote:
So someone gave them to him or he stole them? Is stealing even feasable as I presume guns have to be kept in a very secure location?

I presume like everywhere there's a black market. Farm houses here are targeted by thieves looking for firearms.

Polarbear wrote:
I wonder when the knee jerk reaction to one of these attacks in Europe will be 'Ban all guns in private ownership' because it will happen at some point.

I feel we've got the right balance with our gun laws. You have to consider your population and whether or not they can be trusted with guns, I can't see cities like London becoming better places with more guns in circulation.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case they were feeling left out, America delivers.....

Illinois shooting: Six dead in 4 July parade shooting near Chicago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62042636

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Mental health and guns Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I can't see cities like London becoming better places with more guns in circulation.

A bit more gun violence to add to the knife crime, might discourage... outsiders Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Mental health and guns Reply with quote

My problem with all the US mass shooting coverage is it's not exactly rare there. I get when there's a bigger one or a kindergarten shooting, but as harsh as it sounds I'm kinda sick of hearing about it now.

The one in Copenhagen (first in seven years?) or the one we had in Plymouth (first in eleven years) that's unusual/newsworthy.

Easy-X wrote:
M.C wrote:
I can't see cities like London becoming better places with more guns in circulation.

A bit more gun violence to add to the knife crime, might discourage... outsiders Wink

Nah they like it.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banning guns does not work. If you want a gun then there are plenty of good options for getting one for mass murder. Cops have guns, so just knife one and take the pistol. Whatever the penalty is for gun ownership it is always less than mass murder. Or just go to another country and get a gun there. Guns aren't even the most lethal option so it may have the downside of pushing people into even more lethal routes. Vehicles or JCBs are incredibly dangerous. They may also move away from the big dramatic event to the much harder to prevent sequence of less dramatic events e.g serial killer style. Imagine someone misusing a pickup truck to kill pedestrians and cyclists at night, a couple at a time. Or they start to poison baby formula. Guns were only restricted originally because they are unique not in their ability to kill but their ability to reliably kill a specific individual in a position of power and authority from a safe distance. Protecting us is just a byproduct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns do have a bit of drama about them: loud bang, intricate mechanical design (not many female mass-shooters BTW.) Shipman murdered hundreds maybe a thousand ppl and yet it doesn't have quite the same impact as a guy in a tower block shooting ppl right now "...live from Channel 9 News!"

The stats are always interesting. The largest proportion of gun related deaths in the USA are suicides followed closely by murder. The number of State sanctioned deaths (police, army, national guard etc.) are trivial in comparison. Also worth bearing in mind cancer takes ten times as many ppl as guns every year.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is that the NRA and other pro gun lobby in the US are trying to use the mental health argument but it was their demi-god Reagans administration that cut back on public mental health services back in the eighties.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Banning guns does not work.

We've not had any school shootings and two mass shootings since the 1997 firearms act, both with legal firearms so I'd suggest it does?

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
If you want a gun then there are plenty of good options for getting one for mass murder. Cops have guns, so just knife one and take the pistol.

Ours don't Laughing I don't know how far you'd get trying to take a gun off a US copper, the autistic British guy who wanted to kill Trump failed.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Whatever the penalty is for gun ownership it is always less than mass murder. Or just go to another country and get a gun there. Guns aren't even the most lethal option so it may have the downside of pushing people into even more lethal routes.

I made that point in the BLM thread that illegal possession of a firearm in the US is usually a misdemeanor. You saw that with the Bataclan theatre attack where they smuggled in AK-47's from Eastern Europe iirc., although we've not seen the same thing happen here maybe cos we were not in the Schengen zone.

I disagree with your last point, our stabby jihadi attacks have had a much lower body count than mass shootings, and jihadi bomb making is usually a bit shit as in for everyone that works, you seem to hear about multiple ones that don't detonate properly. The plots often bring attention as well, determining what day a gun owner is going to go on a rampage seems more difficult.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Just in case they were feeling left out, America delivers.....

Illinois shooting: Six dead in 4 July parade shooting near Chicago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62042636

The lad from Stranger things did it...

https://www.reuters.com/resizer/UN8HXW1tiHbl4TW-GTkA7oBNrZc=/960x0/filters:quality(80)/cloudfront-us-east-2.images.arcpublishing.com/reuters/QNITV7N3BZNV7CX55XQ5XI65DU.jpg

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that another one of those mentally sound trannys?
they seem to be becoming a bit over represented in the mass shooting statistics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
they seem to be becoming a bit over represented in the mass shooting statistics.

He's just emo

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:57 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guns are banned in the UK, there use is restricted that's all. By that I mean all types of guns. There are machine guns in private ownership in the UK. Quite a few actually, you can also be sure you live close to someone who legally keeps a handgun.

Handguns are banned in Japan, so the assassin made his own. Killers will find a way to kill, so banning doesn't work.

In the UK they have made a doctors cert a requisite of FAC issue because as has been said, guns are not the issue, mental health and incorrectly issues FAC's are.

The UK is also flooded with illegally held guns, so, you know, criminals have guns, law abiding people aren't allowed them cause guns are bad etc etc.

I'm all for gun ownership for home defence and self defence.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the desire to kill en mass? Regardless of what kind of weapon is used. Is the US a culture which promotes that desire in individuals more than other cultures? If so what can we draw from such a conclusion?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I looked into it a little when it happened but got distracted by his hot sister and mum Smile

https://gossipnextdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Meet-Highland-Park-Robert-Crimo-Siblings-Lynette-Sammy.jpg

I heard some say the guy was a leftist/antifa type, yet there are photos of him with a trump flag and at a rally dressed as where's wally Confused

The fact the media seemed to have ignored this suggests he wasn't a genuine Trump supporter; maybe he was at the rally trolling and being 'edgy', otherwise you'd think they'd be all over it?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Handguns are banned in Japan, so the assassin made his own. Killers will find a way to kill, so banning doesn't work.

Sorry but that is straight up moronic. You know full well Japan has an extremely low murder rate and that shootings are virtually unheard of, "durr they had a shooting" does not nullify this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Weisse Schlange wrote:
The UK is also flooded with illegally held guns, so, you know, criminals have guns, law abiding people aren't allowed them cause guns are bad etc etc.

Cos we had and still have major loopholes, years ago it was easily converted replica firearms. Now the most popular are apparently antique guns, as I believe you can still fly out to Vegas and visit the Pawn Stars store, buy any of the 'antique' firearms they sell and legally bring them back. Not to mention stolen firearms which as I mentioned above, thieves target farm houses looking for.

Weisse Schlange wrote:
I'm all for gun ownership for home defence and self defence.

This is the problem, you don't get to decide what guns are used for. In the US they use the same home/self-defence argument, when in reality they're mainly used for suicides and homicides:

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/FT_22.01.26_GunDeaths_1.png?w=200

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but handguns absolutely banned in the uk unless military or police.

Same with automatic weapons.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

Para 5 is the relevant one.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What about the desire to kill en mass? Regardless of what kind of weapon is used. Is the US a culture which promotes that desire in individuals more than other cultures? If so what can we draw from such a conclusion?

shall we just pretend moslems arent mass murderers then?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ppl talkin' shit bout the ease of gettin guns in Europe. Rolling Eyes

It is extremely difficult to gedagun in European countries (including the U.K.)
I dare anyone on here to produce a gun they got from 'someplace' that obviously is not registered to them.
(Borrowing a gun from your mate for the bet doesnt count.)
Having a beef with someone/something and pulling a gun to resolve the beef is not so simple in civilised countries

We have very very robust arrangements in place for gun ownership and gun use.

In the states they sell guns to Joe Public in supermarket chains. WALMART to be precise. The only reason I could not buy a 9mm Glock at Wal-Mart was coz I wasn't a U.S. citizen.

So yes.... there is little to zero realistic gun control Murica. And the country is awash with firearms and crazy bastirts.
Very easy way to begin to control it is to have gun control like U.K. and Europe.
Put things in the way to control access.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

They're not, they're just very very restricted. They're mostly used for humane dispatch of injured large animals. Single shot target pistols for competition are also permitted IIRC.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

They're not, they're just very very restricted. They're mostly used for humane dispatch of injured large animals. Single shot target pistols for competition are also permitted IIRC.

And antique single shot muzzle loaders. Not meant to have gunpowder though. Whistle

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No single shot target pistols allowed, but they definitely should be. Personally target shooters don't worry me one bit, cops and criminals are the real concern as both admit to being happy enough to kill people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5