Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental health and guns

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If we start arming the UK populous, maybe under the pretence of self-defence after a wolf re-wilding campaign goes wrong, and get everyone used to guns again.

One packed Channel Tunnel train of armed citizens and we could probably take Calais in an afternoon. The government will send over troops, ostensibly to help the French retake the town, but in reality as reinforcements. While that little sideshow is going on crack troops will be parachuted in to capture all the nuclear plants.

With the power literally in our hands we can start dictating to the EU.

How'd ya like Brexit now? Twisted Evil

Im in Laughing

I would follow up with retaking the US.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Knives Are Deadlier

According to FBI fatality stats from officers killed in a fight, 10% of those who were shot died from their wounds.

But 30% of those who were attacked with a knife were killed as a result of being cut and stabbed.

In a close quarters attack, you could be stabbed 3-5 times in a single second.

And FBI stats also reveal that only 1 in 4 bullets ever hit their mark – even at ranges as close as 3′.

https://warriorlife.com/featured/tactical-firearms-training-vs-a-knife/

And yet... https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2021

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 633
9/11 related illness 12
Assault 6
Automobile crash 24
COVID 454
Drowned 3
Duty related illness 3
Fall 1
Gunfire 62
Gunfire (Inadvertent) 2
Heart attack 22
Motorcycle crash 3
Stabbed 4
Struck by vehicle 14
Training accident 1
Vehicle pursuit 3
Vehicular assault 17
Weather/Natural disaster 2

So last year more police died of an assault, which I assume means hulk smash, than were stabbed? And obviously gunfire was the most common cause of death behind... covid Confused

Val wrote:
M.C wrote:

Using your logic the US with over 400 million guns is significantly safer than the UK when it comes to gun crime Neutral I think we made a mistake keeping you Val.

I have not said that though.

I literally said: Death per capita gives you what is probability to be killed. Number of deaths per gun gives you how safe is gun ownership per gun.

Yes US gun owners are better in gun safety, but probability to die is bigger, because you have more guns.

You'd already replied you spastic... https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4808088#4808088 Laughing

Val wrote:
M.C wrote:

Using your logic the US with over 400 million guns is significantly safer than the UK when it comes to gun crime ownership Neutral I think we made a mistake keeping you Val.

Yes it is. US gun owners are more safe. There are more deaths in the UK with a lot less guns available.

In the UK with 0.5m guns you have 30 deaths per 100 000 guns, in the US with 400m guns they have 5 deaths per 100 000 guns. That is US gun owners behave 6 times better the UK ones.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What about how motivated and aggressive the weapon user is? Maybe knife users are more motivated to do harm and more aggressive so more likely to use the weapon and deploy it more effectively?

True. Or maybe in high school you can have easily access to knife but not a gun.

After watching Crocodile Dundey I have used to walk around with the same knife for „protection“.

When I was 16 group of confronted group from another school coming to our park. We were winning and some loser produced a knife and stabbed friend of mine in the leg. Luckily missed important bits.

I do stopped walking around with knifes.

Young people are stupid - fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It wasn't on the main TV news for multiple days or had people supporting banning large cars or calls to shutdown CNN for inciting it.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 348 days between these two posts...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a top tier first post for a motorcycle forum Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as this has been bumped (bot or no bot), I came across another stat for gun advocates...

In England and Wales in 2021/22, the police recorded 28 gun killings.

About eight-in-ten U.S. murders in 2021 – 20,958 out of 26,031, or 81% – involved a firearm.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/b4c90780886bfd11b0753765ccfec531/09ea2acfd242e2f6-ea/s400x600/b0b647c8dc08abb356603872982abde903bae2f2.gifv

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many of those 28 were suicides, how many were illegal firearms?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
how many of those 28 were suicides

I'm not sure (it doesn't say), I assume they're just murders.

The US stat I gave doesn't include suicides:
In 2021, 54% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (26,328), while 43% were murders (20,958)

to v or not to v wrote:
how many were illegal firearms?

Not sure. I know generally it's a combination of stolen (legal) firearms, antique/obsolete calibre and converted replicas... if they haven't all exploded.

I'd guess that's part of the reason why the amount of firearm homicides are so low here (shit guns basically).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth pointing out mass shootings in the UK, the three biggest death tolls this century:
Plymouth - 6 dead
Cumbria - 13 dead
Horden - 4 dead

All legal firearms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_Kingdom

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that in America a huge number of guns aren't officially firearms too. Like anything that fires black powder, is not breach-loading, uses obsolete ammunition or was made before 1898.

So this brand new black powder revolver is not a firearm.
https://capandball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/img-0659.jpg

Not a firearm:
https://images.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/11478/195816/FullDetail/189-4.jpg

Also not a firearm:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Machine_gun_%28AM_775501-3%29.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything under 125cc is also not really a motorbike in some states.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:08 - 23 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also worth pointing out mass shootings in the UK, the three biggest death tolls this century:
Plymouth - 6 dead
Cumbria - 13 dead
Horden - 4 dead

All legal firearms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_Kingdom

The people that created that article sound like little turds that should end up on it.Not just for the article which attempts to confuse random killings and shootings but because they've manipulated the numbers to make them look higher.

The plymouth dead should count as 4 and a few should get knocked off cumbria's too.

* It also reminded my that labour mp luke pollard is a dirty little c*nt for exploiting those shootings, smearing others, attacking peoples property rights and then whining his area should get lots of cash due to the incident for reasons while other less well off areas suffer this and worse because of his party's policies.

stinkwheel wrote:
Also remember that in America a huge number of guns aren't officially firearms too. Like anything that fires black powder, is not breach-loading, uses obsolete ammunition or was made before 1898.

So this brand new black powder revolver is not a firearm.

I'm pretty sure up until recently in more than a few European countries you could buy those old fashioned revolvers without a licence.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:57 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief it’s pretty difficult, but not impossible, to buy an unregistered firearm in the UK. Criminals pass them about between each other. There was a documentary made about it a while ago, Gun No.6 or something similar.

Hand guns with a barrel under a certain length are pretty hard to own legally in the UK and you can’t have anything semi auto except a .22 long.

It’s rather a shame because the reason they were banned, Dunblaine, would not have happened if the local police had operated the licensing requirements properly and terminated Hamilton’s right to possess his guns. The ban was a typical knee jerk political reaction by politicians desperate for a good headline.

Operated correctly the UK system is incredibly safe and allows those who have good reason to own and use what they need.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5