BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ballpark figure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Ballpark figure Reply with quote

A friend of mine is interested in a 62reg Hornet 600 that a customer of his has for sale. Problem is the bloke selling it won't say how much he wants for it. He just keeps saying make me an offer. My friend is having difficulty pricing it - doesn't want to insult the man but likewise doesn't want to pay more than he has to either.

There's nothing this late this this high mileage on the market, making it difficult to value.

Flat battery so can't confirm exact mileage at this stage but suspected between 70k and 75k (MOT showing 65k at last MOT in 2017 but rider had a full year's use out of it, before the MOT expired, commuting to London and back so suspected between 70k and 75k now).

Has sat for 4 years and not turned a wheel.

Bloke selling it is keen to point out two brand new Michelin tyres 4 years ago (literally only mileage they have done is home from the tyre shop and the bike has sat since then for 4 years) but my mate and I reckon they probably want replacing now anyway if they've sat for 4 years probably perishing and/or out of shape?

Needs a new battery

Needs chain and sprockets

Brakes are rusted and want attention.

Offered him £1,000 for it 4 years ago when it was on the road and the bloke turned his nose up at it. But time has moved on since then and clearly the bike isn't worth what it was then.

We think it's gonna be around £500 to get the bike in a condition my mate would be comfortable with riding.

Not immaculate but by no means tatty either.

Anyone care to give their opinion on its current value? We're thinking £750 to £1,000 max. But my mate reckons he's unlikely to accept £750.

It's the usual thing isn't it, everyone always thinks the bike they're selling is worth more than everyone else does.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what bikes fetch these days. Unless they're a real lemon most running bikes over 600cc fetch north of £1500, often over £2000.

I'd be trying for £750 too but honestly if it went on eBay I'd be surprised to see it go for less than £1000.

For comparison my K1300GT has a blown engine and is on eBay, granted the bike is a different kettle of fish to a Hornet 6 but I'm still expecting in excess of £1500 for it.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:25 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought TBH.

When he said to me about it my initial reaction was £1,000 to £1,500 but then he mentioned all the bits that need doing to it and I came round to agreeing with his gut instinct of £750 to £1,000. Just because you could go out and spend £2,000 on something half tidy so with all the work it needs doing to it makes it hard to justify paying more than £750.

Like you say finding anything for under £1,500 is a mission these days. Even lemons Shocked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

70k Hornet stood for 4 years? Thats spares or repairs territory IMO . My opening gambit would be 500 quid. If he thinks that an insult so be it. Unless you're set on that model there's plenty else out there MOT and running for less than that would cost 'all in'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:04 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally he's after a Bandit 1250 but does have a soft spot for the Hornet also. He doesn't want to spend more than about £2,000 tops but also wants something mint for that price.

Narrows the choices down a bit, huh?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:05 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think £750 is more than a fair offer?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I'd look at it, you say it needs a new Battery, Chain and Sprockets, brakes rebuilt, fresh tyres, and realistically it's going to want fresh oil and filter and an MOT too.

Battery - £50
C&S - £100
Brake rebuild - £100? Depends on what it needs but call it that
Oil and filter - £50
Tyres - c. £300 fitted for premium sports touring tyres
MOT - £30

I make that £630 not including your time.

I think you'd do well to get all of that done in a day, so call it 8 hours and let's say you're a cheap date at £20 an hour, so call it £160.

So we're at basically £800 not including the bike.

If you call it £1000 for the bike you're £1800 all in, and to me I'd rather go and buy a running bike for that money than spend the time and effort on a bike that's been sat 4 years and might not even run nicely after all that. Who's to say it doesn't have blocked injectors or something from sitting about?

At £750 you're at £1550 to have the bike on the road, and that's probably more like the point where it's worth your time, in my opinion. Just.

It's tricky because somebody will pay more for it undoubtedly, but that somebody would not be me.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Ballpark figure Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
A friend of mine is interested in a 62reg Hornet 600 that a customer of his has for sale. Problem is the bloke selling it won't say how much he wants for it.

I guess you cannot really say that it is "for sale" then, can you? Rolling Eyes Apparently, Mr. Bike Owner wants a premium for his 4 years of neglect.
He can set a price or stick it where the sun don't shine.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
So you think £750 is more than a fair offer?

Yep, more than fair IMO.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
70k Hornet stood for 4 years? Thats spares or repairs territory IMO . My opening gambit would be 500 quid. If he thinks that an insult so be it. Unless you're set on that model there's plenty else out there MOT and running for less than that would cost 'all in'.

That^^.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:47 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
This is how I'd look at it, you say it needs a new Battery, Chain and Sprockets, brakes rebuilt, fresh tyres, and realistically it's going to want fresh oil and filter and an MOT too.

Battery - £50
C&S - £100
Brake rebuild - £100? Depends on what it needs but call it that
Oil and filter - £50
Tyres - c. £300 fitted for premium sports touring tyres
MOT - £30

I'd say brakes are closer to £200, will need new lines. Callipers will need new seals and pads, maybe pistons corroded so a full rebuild.

Fork seals will need replacing with new oil, have the springs ever been replaced since new? What condition is the rear shock in, does it need replacing? Budget for new bushings for the swing arm/shock linkages, can you press these in or will you need new?

How good was the previous owner with servicing? Head bearings, wheel bearings? Has it sat with fuel in it for 4 years? What about the clutch? Valve clearances?

Way too many variables and unknowns mean you should only buy bikes like this if it's really cheap. This guy is only going to sell it for what he thinks it's worth. Which will always be way over what it's really worth. Don't bother wasting your time. £750 is probably too much once you add in your time/labour and purchase of any tools you need. Just buy a bike that is ready to go.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's never had a valve check, fork oil, linkage greased and needs chain and sprocket, plus all the stuff c_dug and irezumi cited, you're basically going to have to pay me to take it to the tip

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:38 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been said, some loon will probably pay a grand for this if it reaches eBay... just don't let it be you! I've bought heaps like this many times in the past, but only at a price that reflects the fact that it needs parts and (potentially) a considerable amount of work.

Based on the description of the nail in question, if the seller was holding out for more than £400 then I would keep walking.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you offer £750 the bloke can only counter offer higher than that.
Offer £500 and £750 would be a reasonable deal price where both feel they did well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a non runner unless he supplies a battery and proves otherwise. I suspect he doesn't want to go down that route because more problems will come to light.

£500 max but in reality I'd never touch it. I have a Yamaha 600 fazer in my garage that hasn't turned a wheel in two years. I know it was running fine the last time it was used and it's done under 30,000 miles. I wouldn't pay £500 for that either as a non runner. Laughing

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 01:28 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did buy it in the end, and he paid £750.

In the process of doing it up now. Just gonna need the basics like battery, tyres, brakes, chain and sprocket, full service etc. should be a decent bike for the price he paid. I know it's only a Hornet 600 but it's a very late model. It starts and runs nicely. He's a car mechanic so able to do the work himself in his spare time. It's got a full Honda service history but 70k+ miles.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 01:33 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
If you offer £750 the bloke can only counter offer higher than that.
Offer £500 and £750 would be a reasonable deal price where both feel they did well.

He didn't want to offend the guy as he's a good customer.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 01:36 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take what a lot of you guys are saying along the lines of "just go and buy a bike good to go for £1500 to £1800" but in reality any bike you buy for £1800 is going to need SOMETHING doing to it. E.g. a tyre or fork seals or something. To get a pristine bike like this abolutely ready to go, no work needing doing whatsoever I think you're looking more along the lines of £3,500? Especially as, despite the mileage, this is a late Hornet 600 2012???

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good price if I'm honest. Used old bikes are expensive these days! and they all need work doing to them. The trick is being able to see what needs doing and being able to do it yourself rather than paying someone else to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:48 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guy selling it is such a dick that he can't come up with a price I would look elsewhere. Stinks of hassle and regret.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 13:33 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
If the guy selling it is such a dick that he can't come up with a price I would look elsewhere. Stinks of hassle and regret.

It's a tactic people use to try to give themselves the upperhand. It would be nice if people would just be upfront and say what they want from what they're selling. On the other hand they always know that people are going to try to knock them down, and going high on the price expecting to be knocked down can often just put people off rather than getting them to bid you on it. So yeah, a valid tactic I suppose, if somewhat frustrating! As we have established; people always expect/want more for what they're selling than the people buying want to part with. In the end, something is only worth what the maximum someone else is prepared to pay for it - not what the seller thinks it's worth.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 13:41 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same subject - not really worth making another thread on the matter:

I have been offered a 51reg CB500 non runner as spares by a friend. It's his mum's bike, she lost interest in it. Sat in the garage for years and eventually wouldn't start any more - presumably fuel/carb issues. I've been told it was in good running order when it was parked up so engine probably good.

I wouldn't keep the bike, it would have to be a project with a margin in it for profit.

I have some very basic mechanical ability but anything like carb cleaning and balancing would deff have to go to my man up the road and part with £££ for the labour.

Tank and fuel lines are currently disconnected. Not sure what else it needs but can get more info later.

There's three I can find on AutoTrader:
£995
£1,600
£1,790

I have to be realistic and assume any finished project would fetch a maximum of £1,000.

Back to original question - what's it worth me parting with in its current state???

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Back to original question - what's it worth me parting with in its current state???

What's your time worth to you in £'s per hour?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 13:54 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're flat out at work at the moment I barely have time to do admin and open letters/emails.

I have to be realistic and say £45 per hour minimum.

I was kinda hoping it would be something I could do in my 'spare time' and so what I consider my time to be worth less relevant.

But when you don't have any spare time and would have to make time for it at the expense of something else, it's a pertinent point you raise!

Last edited by TravisBickle on 13:59 - 26 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 13:56 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's assume I have to pay someone else to do all the work for me LOL
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2