BCF: Bike Chat Forums

why no belt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: why no belt Reply with quote

why are belt drives not more common on bikes? id imagine that they are a lot less faff than a chain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost I'd imagine. Chains and sprockets are really cheap.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They go from working to broken without any warning. Complete bastard to change too on most bikes.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
They go from working to broken without any warning.

As any 17 year old will tell you, so do badly maintained chains. Well, for a given value for working anyway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:44 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are cleaner and less faff. But race bike have chain.

A well oiled plain roller chain is more efficient than a belt. I strongly suspect a waxed x-ring chain is not.

Enclosed chains are another good idea you don't see a lot of.

The cost and difficulty changing is more than made up for in my oppinion by their longevity. Would I rather replace a chain and sprockets 2-3 times (and adjust and lube it between times, and clean the lube off the rest of the bike). Or do a belt and pulleys once, but have to drop the swingarm to do so? I'd go belt every time.

People say they go with no warning, but so do chains. I wasn't expecting any of the several chain breaks I've had over the years. It's not exactly straightforwards to replace/repair a broken chain at the side of the road anyway. In the unlikely case you are carrying a spare splitlink, it's probably broken somewhere you can't use it, or the chain's gone missing, or broken some other part of the bike too. (and, would you want to continue riding on a chain that's already snapped once?) You're most likely getting recovered in case of a broken belt or chain.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pete. wrote:
They go from working to broken without any warning.

As any 17 year old will tell you, so do badly maintained chains. Well, for a given value for working anyway.

That is true but a badly maintained is easily apparent, a tired belt shows no distress until it parts.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

That is true but a badly maintained is easily apparent, a tired belt shows no distress until it parts.

That's why there are service schedules.

A lot of the belt hatred goes back to the GPz305 but when you look into it, it wasn't OEM belts that were failing prematurely, people were getting cheap industrial belts and fitting those.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley seems to like them, reason enough to stay away Wink

Seriously though not just swapping is a pain. Adjusting the slack requires a torque tool to deflect the belt with a pre-set force bit like using a torque wrench Sad

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pete. wrote:

What I've never quite understood is why the service life of bike drive belts is relatively short.

It's essentially the same tech as an automotive timing belt and, for example, on the VWs I work with at the moment, they have a service life of 125,000 KM.

OK, timing belts are generally much shorter than drive belts and they aren't usually as exposed to the elements/road debris, but they do go through much more severe heat cycles, plus they have to deal with substantially more torque input, typically measured in hundreds of lb/ft.

Apart from the need for greed leading to an imperative to sell spare parts, why can't bike manufacturers make their belts last more than 20,000 miles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pete. wrote:

True, but how many people change their bike's fuel lines after 4 years or whatever the particular interval is? I never heard of anyone ever changing them as part of scheduled maintenance.

People don't change stuff if it doesn't look knackered. They should, but they don't.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have a belt when you can have a shaft.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Wink Very Happy Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed my mate on his Thunderbird, and the constant fucking squeaking from the belt sends me batshit.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I've followed my mate on his Thunderbird, and the constant fucking squeaking from the belt sends me batshit.

Tell him to put some oil on it, that'll sort it

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:07 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Apart from the need for greed leading to an imperative to sell spare parts, why can't bike manufacturers make their belts last more than 20,000 miles?

It was my understanding they belts do last quite long. Plenty of anecdotal evidence from US harley forums, including tuned big twins, that belts last ages. Some of them seem upset to get less than 100k miles out of a belt.

Age would be a factor though. Rubber, UV light, sadness.

As for the OP's original question, I assume the reasons are cost and customer acceptance. OEMs must get incredible deals on chains with the volume they purchase, belts seem to be more pricy and less common. People also think of belts as things for low power bikes and cruisers, it would be odd to see a belt on a litre class sportsbike.

I'm sure that someone is now going to correct me and tell me about a really popular sportsbike with a belt.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:16 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

I'm sure that someone is now going to correct me and tell me about a really popular sportsbike with a belt.

Subjectively, Buells? Popular may be up for debate but they were hardly shrinking violets in terms of power and torque output..

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Shaft wrote:

It was my understanding they belts do last quite long. Plenty of anecdotal evidence from US harley forums, including tuned big twins, that belts last ages. Some of them seem upset to get less than 100k miles out of a belt.

Age would be a factor though. Rubber, UV light, sadness.

Harleys might be OK, but Buells less so and BMW F bikes seem to struggle to get past 30K.

I was very interested in a Hyosung Aquila 650, but the belt drive seems to be a problem on them, not least because it's a stupid amount of money, like £200+.

Then there was the fully enclosed drive belt on my Silverwing, which has an official service life of 16K (they can last longer) but is around 70 quid for something which is nothing more than a glorified fan belt.

Doesn't work well for me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:01 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high-end chain and sprocket set for a 600 supersport costs in the £150-180 ballpark. So a £200 belt, which I'd expect to last longer, isn't all that outrageous.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Not quite right. My old GPZ305's had drive belts, I went way beyond their expected useful life on my last one. It was frayed, there were chunks missing out of the sides and it eventually acquired a tear that went through a third of the belt. I used to keep spares from the ones that I'd scrapped but didb't change it out. It went on for several thousand more miles after tearing and I eventually changed it out before I sold it.
I was more curious about just how resilient they were and what kind of abuse I could give it, as I'd been skeptical from the outset about rubber belts (long before I worked on a car with rubber timing belts). A fellow biker at the time had said the belts would take some proper abuse and keep going even if half of it was missing. Any normal person would have changed out the belt long before I did.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

my shaft has gotten me into a lot of trouble over the years Mr. Green

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:26 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 Buell's with belts. The reason they aren't employed more is that the belt wheels need to be machined extremely accurately and finished with some kind of hardened finish. You might argue the same as a sprocket, but everybody and their dog produces thousands of sprockets every day, whereas that is not the case with belt pulleys.

The Buell pulleys were powder coated which could flake off with age, and then the belt would wear through. I had a couple of high mileage bikes with their original belts over 20,000 miles, but a single stone getting in between the belt and the pulley could snap the belt.

One advantage nobody has mentioned is that when it goes, it generally doesn't take the crankases out, or your toes off. It just falls to the floor and you lose drive. A belt also works like a cush drive absorbing power pulses, and is generally engineered so you never need to adjust the wheel alignment and also always have a consistent wheelbase. Also when you replace the belt you don't need new pulleys unless they are worn for other reasons. I think the Buell belts at one stage were about £60 which is a lot cheaper than a chain and sprockets. Buell quoted 12000 mile life on them though, although as I mentioned I had a couple that lasted 20,000 miles. Replacing the belt wasn't too bad either as my bikes had aftermarket springloaded tensioners.

More downsides though... the pulleys are heavy and compared to sprockets I Mean HEAVY. This is of course counteracted by the lightness of the belt itself. Also the stretchiness that provides that beautiful cushioning effect means that big power can stretch or break them, although the Buell 1125R had 170 odd BHP and worked OK. The race bikes had chain conversions though.

I like a belt for a road bike, and I'd have another with a belt, but it would never be a deal breaker not to have one, or a deal breaker to have one.

Chains are so ubiquitous

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc my mate's xb12 belt went @ 30k

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekoz Hardley Dae Anything fit them to their bikes and Harleys are Ghey.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a belt drive system for a bicycle too.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You can get a belt drive system for a bicycle too.

Pics or it didn’t happen! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2