Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a helmet from Dutch company, any brexit surprises?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Buying a helmet from Dutch company, any brexit surprises? Reply with quote

Anybody bought a helmet recently from this company:
https://www.chromeburner.com/gb/en/

They are over £100 cheaper than UK retailers e.g. Shoei NXR2 is £539 across the board at all UK online helmet shops, they sell it for £427.11 (that's the price showing in £ in the UK section of their website not a conversion from Euros).

I asked them if I'd have to pay import duty and they said:

"Motorcycle helmets are exempt from VAT!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/protective-equipment-and-vat-notice-70123"

Still seems too good to be true, anyone bought a helmet from them?

Cheers
Nick

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:10 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I received a new helmet from them 2 weeks ago. An Airoh mathisse.

No problems, dispatched next working day, tracked all the way, no customs issues.

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:19 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yes. I received a new helmet from them 2 weeks ago. An Airoh mathisse.

No problems, dispatched next working day, tracked all the way, no customs issues.

Super thanks!

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:26 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew there was a catch, check out the small print here:

https://www.chromeburner.com/gb/en/shoei-nxr2-scanner-tc-5

"Due to manufacturer restrictions we cannot ship this item to the United Kingdom."

I think Shoei have got the market stitched up because, as I said in the OP, the price is exactly the same at all UK suppliers.

Crying or Very sad

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:

But VAT's nothing to do with import duty, surely?
In my experience it seems to be very hit and miss whether goods imported from overseas get hit with duty charges (at the low end of the value range, at least); so one order might attract the attention of HMRC and get clobbered, whereas another might not?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:

"Due to manufacturer restrictions we cannot ship this item to the United Kingdom."

I think Shoei have got the market stitched up because, as I said in the OP, the price is exactly the same at all UK suppliers.

Crying or Very sad

Yes, looks like shoei are gouging UK customers.

Chromeburner list over 3,200 helmets from 19 different manufacturers on their ebay page for export to the UK... but no shoeis.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having lots of issues trying to order bike stuff from eu. Most need orders over 150. Lots just aren't shipping to uk.

I've been hit loads of times by customs. So on top of the 20% vat, you may look forward to duty fee too. I try to avoid buying from eu, when I can. Its too hit and miss. Sometimes it's the only option though.

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:27 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
I'm having lots of issues trying to order bike stuff from eu. Most need orders over 150. Lots just aren't shipping to uk.

I've been hit loads of times by customs. So on top of the 20% vat, you may look forward to duty fee too. I try to avoid buying from eu, when I can. Its too hit and miss. Sometimes it's the only option though.

So Brexit was a resounding success! It's now a more attractive option to buy from UK than from EU, more money for UK businesses instead of sending it abroad, hooray! Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:00 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:

So Brexit was a resounding success! It's now a more attractive option to buy from UK than from EU, more money for UK businesses instead of sending it abroad, hooray! Wink

You do realise that the Brit company probably bought it from an EU supplier and has paid the duty already, pushing up the cost?

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:14 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might not pay VAT but will possibly pay all kinds of other import fees

I would never buy a helmet from a foreign company, what are you gonna do when it doesnt fit quite right ? pay £50+ to send it back ?

With helmets you need to go into a shop and get the fit perfect, it can take a while, I tried on a Shoei Glamster in Large, fitted well for the minute I had it on, bought one, but after having it on 10+ mins it was too tight against my forehead, ended up swapping it in the end for an XL, which was slightly too big, so replaced the liner to a thicker one, with thicker cheek pads, now its spot on, but was a lot of messing around to get it right

buying abroad now is largely dead since Brexit, the fees and returns hassle are not worth it

looking on that site, I paid less for my helmet than their prices, by a lot

if it helps, Motolegends will beat any UK price by 10%, so find what you want on sale somewhere, and price beat with Motolegends, get it even cheaper

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:

Absolutely not, unless its a very rare exception to the EU-UKtrade agreement.

Import VAT is correct but only the same as you would have paid in a UK store.. The catch can sometime be how the import VAT is collected. If the EU supplier has not registered with HMRC then the VAT is often collected by the courier who guess what wants to charge for this 'service'. that, I believe, is what you interpret as 'duty'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Absolutely not, unless its a very rare exception to the EU-UKtrade agreement.

Import VAT is correct but only the same as you would have paid in a UK store.. The catch can sometime be how the import VAT is collected. If the EU supplier has not registered with HMRC then the VAT is often collected by the courier who guess what wants to charge for this 'service'. that, I believe, is what you interpret as 'duty'.

Yep, fair enough. The charge isn't actually duty. It's the handling charge from the courier.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
Yep, fair enough. The charge isn't actually duty. It's the handling charge from the courier.

If there are no duties or VAT to pay there won't be a handling fee as they aren't handling anything for HMRC.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:

Crying or Very sad

There's only one company import helmets.

Its those phukirz who have it stitched up.

I can't remember the name.

Also, when you import you often void any warranty cover.

Unless you return to the retailer.

Its a bit of contract law.

Normally, your 1st port of call for warranties is with the retailer you purchased from.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
flimbar wrote:

But VAT's nothing to do with import duty, surely?
In my experience it seems to be very hit and miss whether goods imported from overseas get hit with duty charges (at the low end of the value range, at least); so one order might attract the attention of HMRC and get clobbered, whereas another might not?

Some shipping agents apply the duty for everything they ship. Some companies dont.
Fedex/DHL etc. will charge and add duty for that 'service'.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:03 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, anyway. I got a helmet from Holland from that exact company and there were no additional charges.

If it helps, I bought through their ebay site and I've found most international transactions via ebay go through very cleanly.

Their international shipping program is really good if you want stuff from likes of the US. The vendor ships to ebay in the country of origin. Ebay handle the import then dispatch it to you from the UK once it's been imported. This lets them deal with all the fees up-front at the point of purchase.

Normally when imports come into the UK, it's a bunfight as to which importer grabs it first, then they try to milk it for as many fees as they can get away with.

If they are trying to charge you import fees and VAT on a motorcycle helmet, call and tell them to do one. If they refuse, say you'll report them to HMRC.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NXR2 is new 22/06 standard like arai quantic. Shoei importers are tight on price for all dealers. Isn't the original nxr in a similar paint job?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2