Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:05 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners? Reply with quote

Good day all!

I am planning to finally get my driving license and a motorbike by the end of this year, and was researching on various options of budget cruisers or scramblers.

One option which I absolutely liked in terms of aesthetics is Commando Renegade Classic by UM motorbikes. BUT!
Despite having a Wikipedia webpage, the history of this company is not very clear. The reviews are very very controversial, also very few of them are from real owners/users of UM motorcycles.

I know for sure that there are several UM dealers in UK, so I would like to ask if anyone here has encountered these motorbikes, and whether they are any good or bad.

For me the most important thing is that it does not start breaking down in the first years; speed, comfort and everything else is a secondary thing.

Oh, and also, would you please recommend any cruiser bike of the same kind within the same price range? Up to 3.500-4000 GBP or 4000 EUR.

See photo attached for reference.

Thank you!

https://umitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/um-commando-classic-panna-e-marrone-4-1024x597.jpg

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of UM Motorcycles, but a quick google seems to imply they are an American brand, "Born in America" (yeah right), but they only sell 125cc 'cruisers & scramblers'

They all look very much rebranded Far East 125s

If you are planning on getting a full licence, then you certainly don't want to by buying a 125cc

If but 'getting your licence' you mean getting a CBT (or equivalent in your country) then most on here you suggest buying a 2nd hand Japanese 125cc, as they will be far better quality than and Chinese bike, and hold their value far better

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:22 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont buy it, buy a 2nd hand jap 125 while you learn, which you wont lose much money on when you sell it once you have got your proper licence

if you buy one of those new, you will lose a LOT selling it on once you have done your tests and want something bigger

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had the Superlight I think there was someone on the forums with one of those. He seemed very happy with it. But unless you're aiming to keep it for >2 years I wouldn't buy new.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners? Reply with quote

KaDonowann wrote:

One option which I absolutely liked in terms of aesthetics is Commando Renegade Classic by UM motorbikes.

https://umitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/um-commando-classic-panna-e-marrone-4-1024x597.jpg

Because it looks a bit like a Harley?

'Commando Renegade'.. they know their market Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hand Honda Shadow VT125 is worth a look if you're after a cruiser type 125.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners? Reply with quote

KaDonowann wrote:
One option which I absolutely liked in terms of aesthetics is Commando Renegade Classic by UM motorbikes

Another selling point for their demographic is that there is loads of space inside those saddlebags for butt plugs, dildos, poppers and lube. Laughing

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:28 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Never heard of UM Motorcycles, but a quick google seems to imply they are an American brand, "Born in America" (yeah right), but they only sell 125cc 'cruisers & scramblers'

They all look very much rebranded Far East 125s

If you are planning on getting a full licence, then you certainly don't want to by buying a 125cc

If but 'getting your licence' you mean getting a CBT (or equivalent in your country) then most on here you suggest buying a 2nd hand Japanese 125cc, as they will be far better quality than and Chinese bike, and hold their value far better

They are not really American, the company appeared in South America, registered in the US an then left the market.
I'm mainly attracted to them due to the low price and how they look, but probably you are right.

That is why I wanted to know the real reviews of those who did have an experience, because maybe buying a not very qualitative, but new bike will require less commitment in repairments than getting a 2000s Honda for maybe lesser price but which probably has a lot of things to fix cyclically... just because it's old.

But you're right, I see UM motorcycles of two years old being sold for just half the original price...

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:31 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
KaDonowann wrote:

One option which I absolutely liked in terms of aesthetics is Commando Renegade Classic by UM motorbikes.

Because it looks a bit like a Harley?

'Commando Renegade'.. they know their market Wink

Hehe, Harley would be nice but I am not sure nowadays their bikes are worth the price. I have few friends with Harleys and every time we meet they complain that something is not functioning well Very Happy

Plus I am getting a B license and also I am a small girl, so managing a 300 kg Harley would be pretty much harder than a 153 kg 125cc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to these guys. Don't waste your money on that.

Category B is a car driving licence. Once you've got it, you will have knowledge of road rules, and that goes a long way towards your theory test for category A (motorcycles).

Save that money. Personally, I think you're absolutely crazy to consider spending £3500 to £4000 on a 125. Not because you can't afford it, but because you don't have a full licence and so you're about to splash real money on something that won't satisfy you, won't be enjoyable and won't be reliable. Get a full (motorcycle) licence. I don't think it will cost you more than £500 all-in. Then get any bike you like.

Don't spend time around Harley cultists. These people couldn't even run 100 metres without dying of a heart attack. When you ride a bike, or even push it around on the driveway, you are not supporting or muscling around the weight of the bike. These Harley types are just old dudes who believe girls should be on the back. That's their fantasy because it makes them feel more manly. I can assure you that unless you're disabled you can definitely ride a 300kg bike. There is no muscle effort or strain involved. If you spend time around people like Harleyists you will have the belief that you can't do anything because you're a woman. Maybe you can't win in a wrestling match but you can surely ride any bike they can, and better than them.

Just put that "UM" whatever it is out of your mind.

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:09 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Category B is a car driving licence. Once you've got it, you will have knowledge of road rules, and that goes a long way towards your theory test for category A (motorcycles).

Save that money. Personally, I think you're absolutely crazy to consider spending £3500 to £4000 on a 125. Not because you can't afford it, but because you don't have a full licence and so you're about to splash real money on something that won't satisfy you, won't be enjoyable and won't be reliable. Get a full (motorcycle) licence. I don't think it will cost you more than £500 all-in. Then get any bike you like.

Don't spend time around Harley cultists. These people couldn't even run 100 metres without dying of a heart attack. When you ride a bike, or even push it around on the driveway, you are not supporting or muscling around the weight of the bike. These Harley types are just old dudes who believe girls should be on the back. That's their fantasy because it makes them feel more manly. I can assure you that unless you're disabled you can definitely ride a 300kg bike. There is no muscle effort or strain involved. If you spend time around people like Harleyists you will have the belief that you can't do anything because you're a woman. Maybe you can't win in a wrestling match but you can surely ride any bike they can, and better than them.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Actually I'm getting B license as a shift from the one of my country of origin, so I'm already ok with road rules, etc. since I do drive a car.

I was just thinking that I personally don't run for super speed, I just would like a comfortable cruiser to move around the city and sometimes go to the countryside with no luggage. Also the one I can lift up in case I fall Very Happy

Many people write and say that 125cc is a good start for complete newbies in bikes; also I am planning to service it myself at least partially, so I guess more powerful and sophisticated motorbikes require more commitment in learning the details.

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:10 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions.
Actually I'm getting B license as a shift from the one of my country of origin, so I'm already ok with road rules, etc. since I do drive a car.

I was just thinking that I personally don't run for super speed, I just would like a comfortable cruiser to move around the city and sometimes go to the countryside with no luggage. Also the one I can lift up in case I fall Very Happy

Many people write and say that 125cc is a good start for complete newbies in bikes; also I am planning to service it myself at least partially, so I guess more powerful and sophisticated motorbikes require more commitment in learning the details.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Are UM Motorbikes any good - for beginners? Reply with quote

KaDonowann wrote:
I am a small girl, so managing a 300 kg Harley would be pretty much harder than a 153 kg 125cc.

Apologies, I just assumed you were the typical cruiser rider! Embarassed Silence

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:01 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 125 in the city is fine, but to get to the city, you will likely need to use 50/60/70mph roads ? same goes for getting to the countryside etc

doing those kinds of speeds on a 125 is, depending on the bike/weight of rider etc, either very hard going or impossible, I too once thought a 125 would be enough for me, I had one and was happy with how light and nimble it was etc, until i tried a dual carriageway/60mph road, then I realised a 125 isnt enough, for example i was behind a lorry once, pulled out to overtake it, and just couldnt, head wind, lack of power, my weight, meant the speed i was going was my limit

you dont have to go daft with speed, just dont get a sports bike, dont twist the throttle too much etc

A 125 is great for some experience, to help with learning etc, but its very limited, i enjoyed mine, using it in between lessons etc, but i could never have stayed on one

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaDonowann wrote:

OK, well I don't agree with the policy that allows you to do that (swap a foreign licence without a fresh test).
I couldn't tell you what half the road signs mean in Italy. I mean, I'd probably get away with it if I tried to wing it. But knowing the rules of the road in the UK doesn't mean I know the rules of the road everywhere else. This is a highly populated country and the roads are often busy around urban areas.

Quote:

Even just 40mph is super speed if you pick the wrong road. Bikes are different.

Lifting a bike is all technique and has nothing to do with strength:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-kw2zUkSI

Quote:
Many people write and say that 125cc is a good start for complete newbies in bikes; also I am planning to service it myself at least partially,

Doesn't make sense, since you're thinking about buying new. Invalidate whatever warranty you've got, and for what? To change the oil?

Quote:
so I guess more powerful and sophisticated motorbikes require more commitment in learning the details.

I don't agree. Bigger bikes are just better. Faster, more comfortable, more stable, etc. They are little bikes that are scaled up, with a different engine configuration than a 125cc single. They aren't more sophisticated and they don't require more commitment. Plus, the quality of the bike does matter. Electronic devices are complex, and they can go wrong. Parts availability and dealership network, etc. Let me ask you right now: the headlight bulb blows on your new UM 125. What sort of bulb do you need, and where will you get it? You need a new drive chain. What sort do you need, and where will you get it? You need a new indicator relay. What sort do you need, and where will you get it? You need to check your valve timing. How will you do that? You need to check your ignition timing. How? Etc.

For bikes that aren't complete junkers, you can look up the bike on www.cmsnl.com and find out every last detail of every part of the bike. Also, there is a manufacturer's workshop manual that explains maintenance. Is there one for that bike?

KaDonowann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:42 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
KaDonowann wrote:

OK, well I don't agree with the policy that allows you to do that (swap a foreign licence without a fresh test).
I couldn't tell you what half the road signs mean in Italy. I mean, I'd probably get away with it if I tried to wing it. But knowing the rules of the road in the UK doesn't mean I know the rules of the road everywhere else. This is a highly populated country and the roads are often busy around urban areas.

Quote:

Even just 40mph is super speed if you pick the wrong road. Bikes are different.

Lifting a bike is all technique and has nothing to do with strength:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-kw2zUkSI

Quote:
Many people write and say that 125cc is a good start for complete newbies in bikes; also I am planning to service it myself at least partially,

Doesn't make sense, since you're thinking about buying new. Invalidate whatever warranty you've got, and for what? To change the oil?

Quote:
so I guess more powerful and sophisticated motorbikes require more commitment in learning the details.

I don't agree. Bigger bikes are just better. Faster, more comfortable, more stable, etc. They are little bikes that are scaled up, with a different engine configuration than a 125cc single. They aren't more sophisticated and they don't require more commitment. Plus, the quality of the bike does matter. Electronic devices are complex, and they can go wrong. Parts availability and dealership network, etc. Let me ask you right now: the headlight bulb blows on your new UM 125. What sort of bulb do you need, and where will you get it? You need a new drive chain. What sort do you need, and where will you get it? You need a new indicator relay. What sort do you need, and where will you get it? You need to check your valve timing. How will you do that? You need to check your ignition timing. How? Etc.

For bikes that aren't complete junkers, you can look up the bike on www.cmsnl.com and find out every last detail of every part of the bike. Also, there is a manufacturer's workshop manual that explains maintenance. Is there one for that bike?

Ah well actually it's not a swiping of license, it's a real full test. With which I am more disappointed, because the rules of my country of origin and Italian ones are exactly the same, so it makes me spend around 700 EUR for something I already have. But well, c'est la vie.

Regarding your following comments, I am happy for them and do value your opinion. I think at this point you are right.
One of few things stopping me from getting a "proper" bike is the price, but I checked and apparently I can find even decent Honda or old BMW for the price of a new UM... I'll keep researching.

Thank you for your commitment in the discussion! I just hope I will make right choices at a right time Smile

P.S. Sorry, I just got reminded of this after your comment on Harley riders: https://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/wpmnpk/south-park-the-f-word-season-13-ep-12
(not sure if you appreciate this animation or not Very Happy)

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I wish you all the best. Motorcycles are a great source of joy in life and I want everyone to know about how awesome they can be, before it's too late and they're gone forever. I just want to say, the licence is worth a lot more than the world of 125s, at this stage. This is the end but also, because of that fact, this is also a very exciting time and you can pick up any style of bike, one with awesome power, or one with the exact style you crave, or the sound you like, which will serve you well and give you great happiness.
I have been down the 125 route - I was probably there for far too long, and while there's absolutely wrong with a 125, it doesn't open up the joy of motorcycling in the way that bikes styled like that UM thing promise. A long journey, flat out, doing 60 mph on a 125cc bike, can be quite stressful. You can do it. But the frames, suspension, etc. are all grossly inferior to bigger bikes. Keep it as an economic option around town by all means, but if you can take a big bike test, definitely go for it because it's one of the greatest things in life, if not the greatest.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
KaDonowann wrote:

But wasn't the road sign combined design change of the 60's supposed to remove these differences and unify the continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
But wasn't the road sign combined design change of the 60's supposed to remove these differences and unify the continent?

I've drove in Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Canada and never had a problem knowing what signs intended. Apart from Canada, all the European countries are extremely similar (if not identical) to ours for the most part.

The only thing that fucked me a little was getting used to the fact that if the red light flashes in Canada you treat it like a stop sign here. Also, stop signs are rare as fuck here in the UK but fucking everywhere in Canada. Plus Canada has shite low speed limits.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

The only thing that fucked me a little was getting used to the fact that if the red light flashes in Canada you treat it like a stop sign here. Also, stop signs are rare as fuck here in the UK but fucking everywhere in Canada. Plus Canada has shite low speed limits.

The only time i've had problems reading signs were because they're in another language...

Reminds me every time I go to North Wales and the Welsh is first instead of English, so by the time I've read a few lines and realised I don't know what in hell it means, I've already passed the sign Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Reminds me every time I go to North Wales and the Welsh is first instead of English, so by the time I've read a few lines and realised I don't know what in hell it means, I've already passed the sign Laughing Laughing Laughing

I get what you mean, they put signs in gaelic up here in Scotland as if anyone outside the Islands actually fucking uses it. Even then every cunt on the islands speaks English.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't automatically discount a Chinese 125 nowadays
Yes, many of the early bikes had a well deserved bad reputation
but bikers can be terrible snobs at the best of times so
do some research and make your own mind up

This guy is quite impressed by the commando

here's a test ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLlO4AZwVMQ

top speed 70 -ish or 110Kph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ykjPTYaCgQ

Last edited by WD Forte on 14:24 - 19 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I wouldn't automatically discount a Chinese 125 nowadays. Yes, the early bikes had a well deserved bad reputation but bikers can be terrible snobs at the best of times so do some research and make your own mind up

I absolutely stand by my little Chinese 125. It's been driven thousands of miles through two winters as a commuter, washed irregularly and I've not been the kindest to her and she still looks fucking mint other than some screws with rusted heads.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of Skoda who in the 70's produced some utterly shite cars
due to the communist production methods
later after the wall came down and they were taken over by VW
they still had and possibly have that taint about them
A Skoda Octavia is a VW Passat but some folk wouldn't touch them because of the name.

I'm not an expert on the many Chinese bike makers but know some have upped their game and it will take them time to overcome the stigma

Meanwhile there are probably some bargains to be had

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clocks in the tank of any bike are a negative point for me
When riding we know we're exposed and vulnerable so anything that
takes our attention away from watching what's going on around us
is form over function bollox and not helping.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2