Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best “Bang for your buck” Engine?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Best “Bang for your buck” Engine? Reply with quote

Not a “What bike?” thread but a technical discussion. What do we think is the best compromise of practical performance and economy?

And if you had to design an engine with that in mind, what would it be?

Ok, you could just make it a 125cc and that would sort the economy but I doubt that it would satisfy the performance requirement.

I'm thinking something that most of us would be happy to commute, tour and play on.

Looking on Fuelly, it seems that the Honda CBR 250 is the overall winner with 600-700cc twins as the runners up.

What would your engine be? I'm thinking something like a 400cc single.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 400 single is probably the most underpowered inefficient engine available.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prevalence of in-line fours suggests they’re the ones.

Also they’re all I’ve ever known. Embarassed

I’m V/single/Wankel/parallel twin/triple-curious though. Wink I just don’t have the money, space or inclination to chop and change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:36 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Best “Bang for your buck” Engine? Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Not a “What bike?” thread but a technical discussion. What do we think is the best compromise of practical performance and economy?

And if you had to design an engine with that in mind, what would it be?

A liquid cooled 350cc horizontally opposed 2-stroke with crank induction mounted longitudinally. Let's make it fuel injected and supercharged.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something of a pointless question. Bike engine manufacturers really don't consider economy to be a big factor. If they did you'd not end up with stuff like the Multistrada V4 that drains it's enormous tank in 120 miles.

The only true answer to your question (I think) is an NC700, and that's because it's a Honda Jazz engine with a cylinder cut off. It'll do massive MPG and makes 70 odd bhp. It's not fun, characterful or interesting as I understand it, but it nevertheless does what you're asking.

Pretty much every other bike engine ever made is designed to do something other than economy as it's main selling point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:50 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Best “Bang for your buck” Engine? Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
compromise of practical performance and economy?

The problem right there. It's always a compromise nudging the needle one way or another.

Engine efficiency is not a single fixed quantity per engine. It varies depending on, primarily, engine speed and engine load. Something like NC700 is good on fuel because it's a fairly efficient overall design in the first place - largely a function of cylinder head design - and it's operating in the efficient sweet spot for the engine at commuting speed.

Unfortunately, these qualities also make it as dull as taking the bus.

I tend to ignore fuel burn when bike shopping. Much as I hate buying petrol, it's one of the smaller overall costs. I spend more on insurance each year.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 09 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want out of an engine. If it's just fuel efficiency then 125 all day but you'll be bored to death.

The CP2 in my bike does >NSL, accelerates from 0-30 nicely and does >70mpg on a long run. Not the best engine that's ever been but it ticks all my boxes.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best all around engine I have ever experienced has to be the 5th gen VFR 800 Fi. Where else can you find a motorcycle capable of 225 kph (140 mph) and when ridden conservatively, capable of over 21 km/litre (60 mpg)? I've achieved 400 km (250 miles) between fill ups on a regular basis when commuting. I'd be out with my VFR buddies on their VTEC VFRs; they be looking for petrol at 140 miles. I'd just laugh at them. Cool

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buick 350
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 450-600 cc triple might be interesting..

Better low down torque than a revvy UJM 4 IL so less gear changing in the country lanes, plus slightly lower VED and maybe some decent mpg.
Just so long as it doesn't look like that dreadful new XSR- perhaps
a sleeved down new Trident?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Best all around engine I have ever experienced has to be the 5th gen VFR 800 Fi. Where else can you find a motorcycle capable of 225 kph (140 mph) and when ridden conservatively, capable of over 21 km/litre (60 mpg)? I've achieved 400 km (250 miles) between fill ups on a regular basis when commuting. I'd be out with my VFR buddies on their VTEC VFRs; they be looking for petrol at 140 miles. I'd just laugh at them. Cool

I haven't managed quite that mpg yet, but an oil/filter service on my 800 has taken me from "110 miles to flashing empty" to "140 miles with 3 bars left", not riding conservatively mind. If I had to pick though, I'd choose the 4th gen 750 VFR engine. Same fuel economy (for me at least) but the carbed 750 has a bit more pep on the first touch of the throttle, the 800 feels more linear. Both have a fantastic balance of grunt/top end/smoothness/character.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:59 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
a
Just so long as it doesn't look like that dreadful new XSR

How can one person be so wrong? It's the best looking bike any manufacturer has made since the Z900RS.

I think with an early 90s yamaha GP style fairing it would look fricking awesome.

https://kojintekibikematomeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/ym2201-038-01-yamaha-xsr900-imagecg.jpg

I saw a better version of it mocked up somewhere but I can't find it for love nor money.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

How can one person be so wrong? It's the best looking bike any manufacturer has made since the Z900RS.

I think with an early 90s yamaha GP style fairing it would look fricking awesome.

https://kojintekibikematomeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/ym2201-038-01-yamaha-xsr900-imagecg.jpg

I saw a better version of it mocked up somewhere but I can't find it for love nor money.

Sorry MarJay, but i'm in agreement with A100man, the new one is goppingly awful

https://dd5394a0b8ca8e97ba29-abf76f3d91a2125517d6c7c409f095c7.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/content/common/Models/2022/80cc1334-fd5c-40f1-b783-9e025b2bce6f.png

It looks like a badly streetfighter'd Sportsbike, it looks totally unfinished around the front of the engine, that seat unit is horrendous, and that headlight is way too tiny

The old one looked way better

Agreed that the render you posted looks way nicer, but in standard trim it looks unfinished

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Best “Bang for your buck” Engine? Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Engine efficiency is not a single fixed quantity per engine. It varies depending on, primarily, engine speed and engine load. Something like NC700 is good on fuel because it's a fairly efficient overall design in the first place - largely a function of cylinder head design - and it's operating in the efficient sweet spot for the engine at commuting speed.

Unfortunately, these qualities also make it as dull as taking the bus.

I test rode an NC700 back when they first launched them and I think I basically fell asleep it was so dull.

I have an NC750X as a courtesy bike through insurance at the moment and I'm using it for riding site to site around London today. Honestly it has surprised me with how much I've enjoyed it. Granted I expected to hate it, so it was a low bar to overcome.

It has a rider modes that actually do noticeably change how it rides - sport mode is actually a bit of a hoot at town speeds. It feels a lot faster than it is actually going, it sort of surges forward through the mid range a bit like a big single.

I've not used a full tank yet so we'll see how it actually does MPG wise when being ridden like a bit of a prat all day, but so far I am unashamedly impressed at the bike.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Fair to say it looks a lot better with those clothes on.. Does that faired version actually exist? It's this pic (below) that was widely discussed before with the general agreement that it looks shite but not as shite as the 700..

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/186876/1440x960/2022-yamaha-xsr900-01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a twin of some sort. The 900cc parallel twin in my Bonneville was 54bhp (newer version 64bhp) but would easily do 70mpg and could do north of 80mpg if you're careful.

Fairly sure that lots of cylinders in a small capacity engine (thinking a small IL4) is less efficient; you'll have a revvier engine and presumably more friction for the capacity than with less cylinders as there is a greater surface area of parts moving against each other?

As above, NC series probably achieves the closest balance. It's not an appalling engine, but because it was developed on the brief of a super-economical commuting bike, it then got shoehorned into a budget, bland bike. If you put the NC engine into something lighter and livelier it'd probably be a lot more fun (albeit an odd experience with 6500rpm redline) and yet still return loads of mpg.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:24 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paralell twin with an eccentric firing order is probably a good way to go. Tempers the efficiency of the twin with some character.

The new enfields and the afore-mentioned TDM motors do this.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

High revving 250 4 cylinder. I like the older 400's as well, plenty sporty enough for your everyday rider.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 11 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything fitted with a CP3. 115 bhp+ and bags of instantly accessible torque.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:00 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: CG250 Reply with quote

China is making a CG250 that's basically just a bumped up CG125. I haven't seen the guts of one yet but if it's a reasonable CG125 clone it would be great. I'm using a Chinese heavy duty CG250 six plate, six spring clutch on my modified oddball CMX250 clone (basically just a Benly engine with knobs on) and it's a better clutch than anything Honda ever put on these engines.

Two strokes are always most poop to the pop by weight but they are temperamental and don't respond well to laziness and neglect.

Old Brit singles can plod away forever in their oily, stoic manner. Not exactly lightning fast but definitely long lived. I think my favourite Brit engine is something like a BSA or Triumph sidevalve 500. They're tractors but that's a good thing if you want cheap dependability and don't need speed.

Most four stroke twins of sub 500 size that don't use idiotics to squeeze power out of them are lazy, solid and long lived with the least attention. Think old Superdream or something like that. Boring, practical and cheap to fix.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CG250 Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
China is making a CG250 that's basically just a bumped up CG125. I haven't seen the guts of one yet but if it's a reasonable CG125 clone it would be great. I'm using a Chinese heavy duty CG250 six plate, six spring clutch on my modified oddball CMX250 clone (basically just a Benly engine with knobs on) and it's a better clutch than anything Honda ever put on these engines.

A CG250 would be an awesome toy! I've got to be honest - I don't ride motorised as much as I pedal, these days. But there's a lot I could do with a solid, pushrod, 250 single. It's just one of those little machines which you appreciate for being a nice little mechanism. In America, they get these things called Hawk 250 - absolute deathtraps from China which aren't allowed to be sold here as far as I know. Really awful bikes (not because of the engine but because of everything else) that need to be completely rebuilt as soon as you buy them. But a 250 4-stroke single is about the right size to get you to an offroad trail, and not demand a huge amount of skill when you get there. Just my opinion. The bikes the Americans get can hold about 55mph steady (once the downright dangerous bits of the bike are sorted) as the engines aren't the weakest link.

Just out of interest, what is your system for sticking a hitherto unknown engine into your bike(s)? I mean, do you fabricate mounting brackets and weld them onto the frame yourself, while the engine is in position? Do you change your swingarm, make spacers, etc.? Do you buy those sprockets which extrude, to make your chain line up?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats me why the Peugeot 1.9TD hasn't been shoehorned into a bike frame yet, they've stuck it in just about everything else to date.

Back in the day the XS1100 had a reputation for being indestructible and was the lump of choice for custom builds. Personally, for an all round general purpose lump I'd probably be looking at a twin, made by Honda.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mentalboy"]Beats me why the Peugeot 1.9TD hasn't been shoehorned into a bike frame yet, they've stuck it in just about everything else to date.

Back in the day the XS1100 had a reputation for being indestructible and was the lump of choice for custom builds. Personally, for an all round general purpose lump I'd probably be looking at a twin, made by Honda.[/quote]

Somebody should ask Mouse which diesels he's made into bikes. I'm pretty sure I remember a 1.9 something-or-other at some point.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:39 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: CG250 Reply with quote

"Just out of interest, what is your system for sticking a hitherto unknown engine into your bike(s)?"

Have you seen my bike? It's a true work of fart. In my instance it was simply look around for some cheap and easy to fix engine type that looked vaguely like it would fit in the available space and then get busy with hacksaw, hammer and welder. nothing fancy. Eyeball tolerances. Works good enough for me.

Of course the moment you so much as remove the transfer from a bike's tool box or (God forbid) fit a tyre not specifically approved by the manufacturer you seriously unbalance these complicated, rocket science contraptions and the upshot will be that you'll die in fireball when you smash into a busload of nuns and orphans because you tampered with perfection. At least that's what I keep jearing for the past several decades.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Beats me why the Peugeot 1.9TD hasn't been shoehorned into a bike frame yet, they've stuck it in just about everything else to date.

Its been done just not by a mainstream manufacturer.

My good friend mouse built a 1.9 NA with direct drive (so a 1.9 litre diesel moped). He then told me he'd found a turbodiesel lump on ebay nearby for 40 quid so i asked him why he was telling me and not fetching it.

The result is a 1.9 tdi with a gearbox capable of 110mph and 70mpg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUaAgYuFiE0
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2