Scottoiler advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
It is less hassle, but it's not £120 less hassle, to me at least.

£120 ! Shocked That's a pretty steep price to pay for the freedom from lubing your chain. Rather I should say a steep price to pay for avoiding the discipline of inspecting and lubing your chain once a fortnight. Some WD40 on a rag run over your chain before riding will keep your rear wheel clean. Personally, I'd prefer hands-on chain maintenance and spend the £120 on a set of heated grips.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can inspect your chain before every ride (I do) it's just that that's all that is ever required. It gets a periodic clean which is also easier when it's had scottoil on it instead of shitty chain lube.

The main thing is that it's lubricated whilst you're riding. Continuously.

You can pick them up for relative peanuts 2nd hand.

That said if the Z1000 had a centre stand i'd probably not have bothered but it doesn't.

It's not about skipping the basic checks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:29 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the 7 years I've had mine it works out at less than £20 a year and gets less as time goes by.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:
It is less hassle, but it's not £120 less hassle, to me at least.

£120 ! Shocked That's a pretty steep price to pay for the freedom from lubing your chain. Rather I should say a steep price to pay for avoiding the discipline of inspecting and lubing your chain once a fortnight. Some WD40 on a rag run over your chain before riding will keep your rear wheel clean. Personally, I'd prefer hands-on chain maintenance and spend the £120 on a set of heated grips.

It also helps your chain last WAY longer than doing it all manually. If it saves you the hassle of at least 1 chain/sprocket change, it's worth it.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
It also helps your chain last WAY longer than doing it all manually. If it saves you the hassle of at least 1 chain/sprocket change, it's worth it.

I'm not trying to be intentionally disagreeable here, but...
Are you suggesting that using a Scottoiler (instead of manually lubing your chain) will double the life of your chain and sprockets? I doubt it. Folded arms
Also, how much longer is WAY longer, like in km before failure? Way longer than no maintenance at all, we can agree on that. But way longer than a well maintained chain using gear lube in a pistol grip oil can?...prove it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, the lube only remains there until its flung off. With a scotoiler it's constantly replenished. What would be better? Oiled when stationary and then not oiled again until 2 or 300 miles or constant lubrication?

As I said earlier it's supposed to drip on the interface between the chain and the sprocket and not onto the link plates.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I'm not trying to be intentionally disagreeable here, but...
Are you suggesting that using a Scottoiler (instead of manually lubing your chain) will double the life of your chain and sprockets? I doubt it. Folded arms
Also, how much longer is WAY longer, like in km before failure? Way longer than no maintenance at all, we can agree on that. But way longer than a well maintained chain using gear lube in a pistol grip oil can?...prove it.

You'd be surprised ... With a Scottoiler, the chain will need much less frequent adjustment, and yeah I'd go as far to say it'll double the life of a chain (probably more if you ride hard and don't manually lube the chain yourself as often as you should).

Do you think that adding a constant oil flow on the chain wouldn't have this effect?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we can disagree and still be civil about it.

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
You'd be surprised ... With a Scottoiler, the chain will need much less frequent adjustment, and yeah I'd go as far to say it'll double the life of a chain (probably more if you ride hard and don't manually lube the chain yourself as often as you should).

Do you think that adding a constant oil flow on the chain wouldn't have this effect?

Sure, I believe a constant oil flow on the chain would have an effect, but not double. When I sold my first VFR, it had 49,000 miles on the chain and sprockets, and was still nowhere near wear limits as determined by 1) chain elongation and 2) looseness on rear sprocket. At one point, the bike went 13,000 miles between chain adjustments. I simply don't believe that autolube devices like the Scottoiler are all they're cracked up to be. I've experienced for myself the benefits of disciplined, fastidious attention to maintenance tasks. Are those benefits worth the effort? Well, every person has to make that determination for him/her self.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, YMMV for everything. For the great unwashed though (myself included), I think they're a great addition to any bike. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2