Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which bike do you regret not buying?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Which bike do you regret not buying? Reply with quote

Well, since I am so new to biking, I don't have anything to contribute to the "which bike do you regret selling" thread: but I have regretted not buying a bike.

When I was doing the initial rounds of buying my first big-boy bike I really wanted to get an MT-09 and I am glad that I didn't go ahead with it, and that I took the BCF advice of buying an older second hand one cheap.

I got my 2009 ER-6F for £2,500 after test riding it once. I loved the sound of it with its' obnoxiously loud exhaust and it just felt nice. I had my eye on a 2016 SV650 but is was about double the price at the time and I guessed that since it was so much closer to price new that I would just go with the ER-6F.

To be fair to the ER-6F I have put more miles on her in my single year of ownership than she had put on her in the previous 7 years combined. I have not been kind to her, I've looped her once and she's been knocked over by a scumbag driver who drove away without leaving a note. I've probably spent as much on her in parts and fixing her as I did buying her in the first place. I am not bothered by that though it's part and parcel with buying an older bike.

Then today comes around and a mate who got into biking after me bought an SV650 and I just got a little ride on it and it's way nicer than my ER-6F. OK it is 7 years younger than my ER-6F but it just felt so much better.

In retrospect, I now kinda wish I had went for an SV650.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RG500 in 1998 for £1650.00 pounds.

I will take that to my grave.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might depend on which model of SV650 too. My missus has a 2007 SV and one of my mates had a 2013 (I think) ER6F, and of the two, I'd take the ER6 every time.

I don't really have any individual bikes I regret missing out on. I wish I'd bought a 250 two stroke in the early 2000s when you could get a nice one for about £1500, but I just didn't have the money. I've missed out on loads of bikes by procrastinating too long, but that's probably been for the best. The last couple of bikes I've bought I didn't procrastinate, because I knew what I wanted, recognised it when I saw it, and pulled the trigger.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i regret not getting an rgv/tzr 250 when i passed my test in 91.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i regret not getting an rgv/tzr 250 when i passed my test in 91.

Me also, RGV 250. There was an article on them in performance bikes shortly after I passed my test. The article finished "The RGV250, buy it before it's banned.".

I should also have bought one of the MZ 1000cc twin streetfighters, I was about ready to push the button on one when they went bust.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gsxr600 as my first bike, but I stand by that it would have killed or seriously injured me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Gsxr600 as my first bike, but I stand by that it would have killed or seriously injured me.

Pfffft, ZX6R at 17, TL1000R at 18, not dead. Razz

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:26 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ650 (the early '80s one - in the early '80s).

Hesitated a week, was sold and the new model was even further out of my price bracket (and not available just then).

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Which bike do you regret not buying? Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

In retrospect, I now kinda wish I had went for an SV650.

I almost bought and SV(S) and ended up with an early instead. My mate bought the SV so I rode it a few times.

I was glad I bought the ER6. More comfortable for me (SV might suit taller riders better) and I preferred the handling of the ER6. It also had a more interesting engine I feel. SV was a decent enough bike don't get me wrong, but I was happy with my choice.

MT09 is a whole other animal. I'm likely going to buy the latest gen next year, big improvement on the gen 1/2.

I don't have any specific regrets but I REALLY want a Husky 701/KTM 690 SMCR. Can't bring myself to do it though. Too expensive for me to buy as a second bike, just a little too impractical for my main steed. But I want one.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008: My teenage son was ready to upgrade from the 4 speed vespa that I taught him to ride on. We went to check out a 1989 Honda VTR250. They called them "Barbie-cycles" in the states because Honda made them with a godawful white-teal-pink paint job. Only imported them for two years, probably because Honda blew the paint scheme so badly. "No way I'm ever riding that thing!" says junior.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52219670523_148b09ab03_w.jpg

OK, well, we came all the way out here, lets at least take it for a ride... HOLY MOLY this thing can fly! Faster than any 500 I'd ever ridden, I had it over 90mph with more on tap. Junior was non plussed, but Dad was smitten. Let's check this thing out a little more carefully. What!? No oil in the sight glass! The owner was really embarrassed. "I, I, I, don't know what to say. I never saw it get this low before." Needless to say, that was the end of that.

But Dad tasted the Kool Aid. I went on a year-long mission to find a decent, roadworthy VTR250. I found 3 in total; every single one of them had a low oil level. Two of the owners didn't even know how to check the oil. How can that be? How can anyone put a bike up for sale without checking the basic maintenance items that a prospective buyer would look at (cable adjustment, chain tension, tire condition, oil level?) How? Eventually I lost interest in the prospect of being a VTR250 owner. Sadly, to paraphrase Pink Floyd, "the child has grown, the dream is gone."

Best 250 Honda ever made, in my opinion, but they really missed the mark in the marketing department. Honda binned the Barbie look and continued to sell them in the Australian market until 2018, lucky bastards. Even today, fourteen years later, when I see a VTR250 on the street or online, I wistfully think to myself.. "what if...". Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there has been one for me. Most of the time, I was able to buy the bikes I wanted at any given time, inasmuch as if something took my fancy, I got it (including an RG500 Mr. Green ).

My "regrets", if there have been any, are more to do with not being able to afford some of the bikes I would have liked to have tried, which mostly boils down to Italian stuff, from the days of the Jota, early Ducati 900SS, Montjuic etc, up to more modern fare.

Oh, and I never did get around to putting a turbocharger on a nicely modded muscle bike back in the day. The bike I bought to do it with got wiped out (along with the rider I let have a go on it) before I got a chance.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Laverda Jota in for £1500 in the late 90s.

Dammit!

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd of liked an rgv250 but in my 13 years of riding they never have really been that well priced , silly now

do have a tdr250 which i could probably swap for one though...
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Dammit!

You had to have them in their time. Even if you had the money for one now, there's too much chance of tainting those rose tinted specs, or wrecking the legend. There are very few, if any, older bikes I'd be interested in actually owning today, certainly as far as pre-90s goes. I would imagine that if you've had the pick of the crop later than that, that would extend to later still.
But what post-90s bikes have had a legend built up around them? Maybe the Street Triple? Any others? Anything out there new now, that might be looked back on with the kind of awe that some bikes used to inspire? Any that folks might regret not trying if they leave it too long?
Most of the top end bikes now seem a little too 'same-y' to me, nothing absolutely outstanding for one or two to rise above the crowd.

The best of the old 2Ts I think will always be worth a go now they're almost extinct, just for the novelty if nothing else.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Dammit!

You had to have them in their time. Even if you had the money for one now, there's too much chance of tainting those rose tinted specs, or wrecking the legend. There are very few, if any, older bikes I'd be interested in actually owning today, certainly as far as pre-90s goes. I would imagine that if you've had the pick of the crop later than that, that would extend to later still.
But what post-90s bikes have had a legend built up around them? Maybe the Street Triple? Any others? Anything out there new now, that might be looked back on with the kind of awe that some bikes used to inspire? Any that folks might regret not trying if they leave it too long?
Most of the top end bikes now seem a little too 'same-y' to me, nothing absolutely outstanding for one or two to rise above the crowd.

The best of the old 2Ts I think will always be worth a go now they're almost extinct, just for the novelty if nothing else.

I had actually ridden a friend's Jota in the 70s so I would have been going into the deal with my eyes wide open. Plus the seller was a friend who's also a very competent mechanic so it would have been in tip-top condition. C'est la vie Laughing

I do agree that with a few notable exceptions most of the post 90s bikes are a bit 'meh' and far too similar appearance wise. I'm a huge fan of naked classic styling although we do have an NC23 that never fails to elicit a huge grin.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I had actually ridden a friend's Jota in the 70s so I would have been going into the deal with my eyes wide open.

Would you own one today? For the bike itself I mean, assuming you had the money spare and didn't care about the current values, i.e. not bothered about one as an investment (and of course assuming you could get spares when needed)?
They were definitely on my wishlist once upon a time, and maybe I'd like to ride one if offered the chance, but not bothered about ever owning one now.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I had actually ridden a friend's Jota in the 70s so I would have been going into the deal with my eyes wide open.

Would you own one today? For the bike itself I mean, assuming you had the money spare and didn't care about the current values, i.e. not bothered about one as an investment (and of course assuming you could get spares when needed)?
They were definitely on my wishlist once upon a time, and maybe I'd like to ride one if offered the chance, but not bothered about ever owning one now.

It would depend on the circumstances I suppose, I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Also, I'd never buy a bike as an investment - they're meant to be ridden and enjoyed, not polished and guarded. There's a chap here that has a nice old Ariel and an equally nice old AJS. They're never ridden, just driven to the various vintage show days, bike meets and agricultural shows. They're displayed on the trailer they arrive on and hitched up and driven home at the end of the day. Utterly pointless and a complete waste IMO.

Honda434
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to buy a 1990 Honda rc30 for you guys across the pond vfr750r. New in the crate. This was in 97. I bought a ducati 748 instead and still have it. If I would have bought the Honda for 9,000 us it would be worth 40,000 now.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'd never buy a bike as an investment - they're meant to be ridden and enjoyed, not polished and guarded.

I'm absolutely in agreement with you on that one as far as personal ownership goes.
I would however like to see a motorcycle museum in this country that had good examples preserved for posterity, of all the bikes we have ridden after the days of the old Brit iron of the 50s and 60s (which seem to be fairly well represented in various places).

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I've had this conversation so many times, about bikes and cars.

I'm lucky enough, via various jobs and contacts, to have ridden/driven and/or owned a lot of the stuff that is now considered a 'classic' and, TBH, most of them I wouldn't want again.

Technology has moved on so much in the last 40 years, the vehicles of yesteryear really can't hold a candle to what's going on today.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:36 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I've had this conversation so many times, about bikes and cars.

I'm lucky enough, via various jobs and contacts, to have ridden/driven and/or owned a lot of the stuff that is now considered a 'classic' and, TBH, most of them I wouldn't want again.

Technology has moved on so much in the last 40 years, the vehicles of yesteryear really can't hold a candle to what's going on today.

There are a few that I would like to ride again (not necessarily own), that still stand out as having been different/special. The experience of riding them would still be fairly unique - GPz750 Turbo, RG500 spring to mind. As long as you didn't expect modern bike handling, although with the RG, if you upgraded the suspension they'd probably still be fun.

With the turbo, I'd probably want a little more oomph, but they're never going to be much more than a straight line bike. It's just the character of the power delivery that I haven't felt in anything else since.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Triple. Last of the round headlights. Nice colour. Nice spec.

Was on way to Finchingfield and stumbled upon a Triumph dealer. Went in just on curiousity.

Salesman was expecting the new Speed Trip the week after so were desperate to offload the old stock. The long and short of it is he'd give me 1250 part ex on my CBR that I'd only paid 1200 for and the bike would come with me for 6 grand. It was an absolute bargain.

Mrs Arry put her foot down and I listened. Shouldn't have.

Would have saved me a whole bunch of cash because chances are I'd still have it. When I went looking for the R NineT the Speed was on the list of potentials but I couldn't stomach paying more for one than I'd have needed to back in 2009.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'new old stock' Kawasaki H2 750 (triple, not IL4) I saw sat at the back of a bike shop 30 years ago. Only wanted £2,999 for it. Would be worth 18k today in that condition.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
2008: My teenage son was ready to upgrade from the 4 speed vespa that I taught him to ride on. We went to check out a 1989 Honda VTR250. They called them "Barbie-cycles" in the states because Honda made them with a godawful white-teal-pink paint job. Only imported them for two years, probably because Honda blew the paint scheme so badly. "No way I'm ever riding that thing!" says junior.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52219670523_148b09ab03_w.jpg

OK, well, we came all the way out here, lets at least take it for a ride... HOLY MOLY this thing can fly! Faster than any 500 I'd ever ridden, I had it over 90mph with more on tap. Junior was non plussed, but Dad was smitten. Let's check this thing out a little more carefully. What!? No oil in the sight glass! The owner was really embarrassed. "I, I, I, don't know what to say. I never saw it get this low before." Needless to say, that was the end of that.

But Dad tasted the Kool Aid. I went on a year-long mission to find a decent, roadworthy VTR250. I found 3 in total; every single one of them had a low oil level. Two of the owners didn't even know how to check the oil. How can that be? How can anyone put a bike up for sale without checking the basic maintenance items that a prospective buyer would look at (cable adjustment, chain tension, tire condition, oil level?) How? Eventually I lost interest in the prospect of being a VTR250 owner. Sadly, to paraphrase Pink Floyd, "the child has grown, the dream is gone."

Best 250 Honda ever made, in my opinion, but they really missed the mark in the marketing department. Honda binned the Barbie look and continued to sell them in the Australian market until 2018, lucky bastards. Even today, fourteen years later, when I see a VTR250 on the street or online, I wistfully think to myself.. "what if...". Wink

I had a jap import one of them in a much nicer red & whitecolour scheme. Bought it in the mid-90's off a guy in Stratford who could have been Sickpup's twin.

Stonkin' bike for a 250. Peaky almost like a 2 stroke with decent mid-range and a wicked hard cammy sounding engine. My dad rode it for a while and even though he (at the time) had no time for non-British bikes he fell in love with it too.

Glad I owned that one I'd have one again but they are rare as hen's teeth and the engines have a million moving parts.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any that I regret not buying. Usually bought them if I liked them. Laughing Addictive personality. That makes it not my fault.

Would have loved an RD350LC. I fell in love when I was younger after I saw someone wheelieing for the first time, I was about 14, never forget it. Was so impressed. Guy was in the local motor gang, badder minehof. Laughing I liked Lambretta and Vespa scooters back then as I was a mod. In 1983.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2