BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2Ts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100 - cos it was like my Fizzy but a fraction of the cost (£165 6/7 years ago) and can do a genuine 60-65 (hill/wind dependant) - keepin it since vague plans to load it on the tail-bar of a (camping) van and tour Europe.

GT250 - cos it was a gift! In a parlous state mind you but I've cobbled it back together - used for local (15 mile ) trips not sure I dare go much further..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
blurredman wrote:
They can be fun in their own way. But all my riding is commuting. At the minute the one that does mid 70's mpg average is my main machine for economy purposes.

What do you find to be their main downsides for commuting? Do you think it could be fixed with a new, modern design?

I'm not sure the question is right. My bikes were designed as commuter/every day machines. Laughing

The one bike, the main downside may or may not be the four speed box. I mean, it's got torque and it took some time to get used to, but it's very tempermental trying to get it in gear. Not smooth at all- it's like trying to drive a car without synchromesh on any gears. Momentum can be lost easily just trying to change gears. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What do you find to be their main downsides for commuting? Do you think it could be fixed with a new, modern design?

I'm not sure the question is right. My bikes were designed as commuter/every day machines. Laughing

The one bike, the main downside may or may not be the four speed box. I mean, it's got torque and it took some time to get used to, but it's very tempermental trying to get it in gear. Not smooth at all- it's like trying to drive a car without synchromesh on any gears. Momentum can be lost easily just trying to change gears. Oh well.

Yes, but as you note, that doesn't mean the design worked as intended Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Yes, but as you note, that doesn't mean the design worked as intended Laughing

True, but that's the fault the world that has changed around the machine... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a vintage 2 stroke - been there, done that. They were good at the time but I've grown used to reliability, handling and all the other things that modern bikes offer. That being said I rode relatively modern KTM 2 stroke enduro bikes for 10 years and loved every minute of it. They would happily chug along in a high gear and take off like a scalded cat when on the pipe.

I often wondered what a modern 3 or 4 cylinder 750 or 1000 with power valves direct injection etc would be like if some company was bold enough to go down that road.

Would I buy one? That is a good question Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I don't want a vintage 2 stroke - been there, done that. They were good at the time but I've grown used to reliability, handling and all the other things that modern bikes offer.

I think I would have another classic if it was well sorted, but agree with you that I'd much prefer modern bike handling and reliability.

Quote:
I often wondered what a modern 3 or 4 cylinder 750 or 1000 with power valves direct injection etc would be like if some company was bold enough to go down that road.

Completely nuts I would imagine Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be three in my lotto win garage, a very late RD400 in white, a candy blue 350LC with fairing and belly pan and a disc braked GT750.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the RD400, never got to try one of those. The GT range never appealed to me for some reason. And I never tried an RD500LC, but don't think it would be better than the RG. They look gorgeous though.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a women that makes me take longer than my normal 2-strokes.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved all my old smokers.
Off road , my old Bultaco Pursang was my favourite, for a 250 it was bat-shit mental and as strong as an ox Smile .
On the road my rd 250 lc always performed well and in my opinion punched above it’s weight.

I’m trying to have less bikes ,not more and I’m skint!
So sadly no new addition to my garage, even a smoker Crying or Very sad .

Last edited by pepperami on 05:45 - 23 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm with you on the RD400, never got to try one of those. The GT range never appealed to me for some reason. And I never tried an RD500LC, but don't think it would be better than the RG. They look gorgeous though.

I didn't own a 400, but I did have a 250F with a 350 top end and I absolutely loved it, in fact I probably prefer them to an LC, but there's something about the look of the later bike that really does it for me.

As for the GT750, it was the first really big bike I ever rode and I thought it was superb, but they don't perform in the same way as most strokers, so they tend to be rather frowned upon by the boy racers.

Plus there's nothing that sounds like a kettle (standard pipes only please, none of your crackly old spannies) in the same way there's nothing as good as the deep burble of a heavyweight UJM with a shorty Harris.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:18 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY old GT185 used to be good for a shit eating grin. I'd happily give my left nut for an H2 widow maker, the rest of me would possibly be reunited with that nut shortly thereafter. Laughing

As for MCN's point, anyone still daft enough to think that politicians have the mettle to do what it takes to stop us killing the planet is living in cloud cuckoo land. Face it, we're fucked, we might as well enjoy it before we burn to a crisp.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted an Aprilia RS 125 in Harada colours (still do) but ended up with a Suzuki GP100, great fun bikes but also slightly dangerous, good for accidental wheelies with a tiny wheelbase.

Would still love an RS125 but even a few years ago people were asking silly money for something which needed a full restoration!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
.. good for a shit eating grin.

what a curious expression. Neutral

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Face it, we're fucked, we might as well enjoy it before we burn to a crisp.

That Kool Aid tastes good, huh? Laughing

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d have one again, even if they are peaky grenades on wheels. The RGV250 was going to be my first “big” bike when an air cooled Divvy 600 came along at half the price. Polar opposite of the Suzuki. What was I thinking?

I do own a 429cc twin cylinder two stroke, but it’s an outboard. Still gives me my 2 smoke fix and it goes like stink.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

I do own a 429cc twin cylinder two stroke, but it’s an outboard. Still gives me my 2 smoke fix and it goes like stink.

Is it a relatively new model? I think I read somewhere that this was an area where 2T development had continued?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2005 Mariner Marathon built by Tohatsu so it's got solid Japanese build quality, but not exactly new tech.

You can't buy new two stroke outboards for private use any more. You can only buy them for commercial use. Saving the planet, etc...

2nd hand is fine, but because of the power to weight ratio of the smaller engines they really hold their value.

The four strokes are catching up though. There's still a weight penalty for an equivalent power, but they're quieter and sip petrol.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
.. good for a shit eating grin.
what a curious expression. Neutral

You are right, it is a curious expression. If you were American, you'd probably have heard it so many times as to not give it a second thought. I think I first heard it in the early 70's in the Air Force; that was my introduction to working and interacting with people from all parts of the country.

Rather than take it literally, I always thought "shit" was a euphemism for cannabis. You know, marijuana. But a quick google search suggests that I am full of shit. If you never heard George Carlin's monologue on "shit", it's hilarious. I looked for a YouTube link, but couldn't find it. Shit.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
Face it, we're fucked, we might as well enjoy it before we burn to a crisp.

Says the bloke stuck in the middle of record high heats. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Says the bloke stuck in the middle of record high heats. Rolling Eyes

It has been nice where I am. You must be thinking of that dump for the dregs of humanity, London. Have you forgotten that London isn't all of the UK?
Let's get more two strokes on the road, then maybe London will just melt into a puddle and we can be shot of it Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 23 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It has been nice where I am. You must be thinking of that dump for the dregs of humanity, London. Have you forgotten that London isn't all of the UK?
Let's get more two strokes on the road, then maybe London will just melt into a puddle and we can be shot of it Laughing

I'm happy for you, it has been more mild here than usual. Generally speaking, once spring is done here, summers have recently been 90+, high humidity and low rainfall from about June, we are just hitting summer temps now but have both occasional rain and low humidity. Yay for 2 strokes. Laughing

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:25 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First bike was an Aprilia RS50 which definitely wasn't derestricted with a race pipe on it.....

Second was an Aprilia RS125, actually passed my A2 on it (could do that in 2008 when you were 17). Got it legally derestricted the day after.

Loved both of them but people are wanting silly money for them now and they require SO much maintenance and cost.

However, yesterday I just bought a 1988 Jawa/CZ125..... Will need a bit of work but hugely looking forward to leaving a trail of blue smoke everywhere again. I'd have preferred a 350 but they're also getting silly money now for what they are. If I could justify the money though i'd definitely buy one of the "new" 350's (same bike as the one in the 70s but with disc brake and electronic dash/ignition).

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get a hard on for this sort of stuff.....

This is a pretty bike:

https://imgx.motorplus-online.com/crop/0x0:0x0/360x240/photo/2021/07/06/aprilia-rs250-loris-reggiani-rac-20210706045428.jpg

This is also a pretty bike:

https://new.productuploader.nl/media/catalog-models/Aprilia/318-aprilia-rs-replica-1992-tm-1994-125.webp

everyone was at it, at one stage:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/a4BN5Xr2BTw/hqdefault.jpg

I commuted (for a short time) on the 250 .... I wouldn't recommend it..... it was "frantic", at best ...... the 125's are perfectly capable beasts, but you have to let this stuff warm up.... which could actually take the same amount of time as a 4T would take, to get to the destination you need to be at ......

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:55 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a bright purple Suzuki GT750. Early one with the drum brake.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3