Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When is a war not a war?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been a bit overly doom and gloom. Russia moving behind the old border and grumbling similar to the still current war between North and South Korea, that's a possibility - nothing resolved as such.

That said when's the last time sides were casually mentioning nukes, Cuban missile crisis?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:25 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yes, I've been a bit overly doom and gloom. Russia moving behind the old border and grumbling similar to the still current war between North and South Korea, that's a possibility - nothing resolved as such.

That said when's the last time sides were casually mentioning nukes, Cuban missile crisis?

Since you mention N Korea, Kim hardly shuts up about them, and regularly tests them and delivery new platforms.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is that Putin with all the posturing and the staged referendums and putting on a cabaret show on Red Square is psychologically preparing for tactical nukes. He's one of these ars'oles looking to get into the history books and a big mushroom cloud seals the deal.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Putain is a classic bully/dictator. You have to stand up to them unless you want to see further incursions into European countries over time.
I seriously doubt he would be stupid enough to opt for any kind of nuclear option simply because it would lose him any remaining credible support he has and would be quite an effective suicide note. I don't think he's a nihilist, just a blustering liar.

Putin might just be crazy enough if pushed into a corner, and Biden and the Dems certainly dumb enough to provoke it, through misjudgement if nothing else. That latter one is the biggest worry in my view. Leftist politics are rarely closely attached to reality.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Putin might just be crazy enough if pushed into a corner, and Biden and the Dems certainly dumb enough to provoke it, through misjudgement if nothing else. That latter one is the biggest worry in my view. Leftist politics are rarely closely attached to reality.

Bolloks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:27 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem toi think Democrats are left wing. They are more right wing than most right wing European parties.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You seem toi think Democrats are left wing. They are more right wing than most right wing European parties.

I think it depends on which segment of the party you are talking about. I see the top as greedy for power and self-interested wealth. That often applies to both left and right. The lower echelons seem to me to be radical lefties. The top has to garner votes (which if recent polls are anything to go by, they are signally failing to do), so they nod to the lefties, whilst not actually really caring about anyone but themselves. And sometimes, it also depends on the particular policy area too. But collectivism is definitely a lefty thing, and the Dem's policies seem to be based largely on this. This aligns with the current trends in globalist politics, which you also have to take into account, as it now drives much nation state policy.

Would you call AOC and Kamala Harris right wing? Gavin Newsome? Lori Lightfoot?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
collectivism is definitely a lefty thing, and the Dem's policies seem to be based largely on this

Utter tosh.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Left and Right Wing? (Sorry to have this discussion again!)

Bearing in mind the only difference between Fascism and Communism when you come right down to it is National vs. International. Basically the choice between oppressing the country or oppressing the world.

Right Wing? What's that?! Not seen it really.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What is Left and Right Wing? (Sorry to have this discussion again!)

Bearing in mind the only difference between Fascism and Communism when you come right down to it is National vs. International. Basically the choice between oppressing the country or oppressing the world.

Right Wing? What's that?! Not seen it really.

It's more than one thing, but I think collectivism vs individualism is one part of the difference, although there will be nuance even within that.

I don't think that Stalin and Hitler defined the two, and if those are your only points of reference then I won't be surprised if confusion arises.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think that Stalin and Hitler defined the two, and if those are your only points of reference then I won't be surprised if confusion arises.

Errr... I seem to recall at least Hitler wrote a book or two and I think Karl Marx and Giovanni Gentile would care to comment, if they were still alive Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Errr... I seem to recall at least Hitler wrote a book or two and I think Karl Marx and Giovanni Gentile would care to comment, if they were still alive Wink

So you think those people invented the concepts of left and right politics? Interesting.
This is quite interesting too:

Quote:
Today the terms “left wing” and “right wing” are used as symbolic labels for liberals and conservatives, but they were originally coined in reference to the physical seating arrangements of politicians during the French Revolution.

The split dates to the summer of 1789, when members of the French National Assembly met to begin drafting a constitution. The delegates were deeply divided over the issue of how much authority King Louis XVI should have, and as the debate raged, the two main factions each staked out territory in the assembly hall. The anti-royalist revolutionaries seated themselves to the presiding officer’s left, while the more conservative, aristocratic supporters of the monarchy gathered to the right.

Of course others than the Froggies may have added to the ideologies since 1789 Wink
Speaking of which, you...errr...appear to have a Frog in your throat Laughing

"All bad ideas are French" lol.

If you're going to get your definitions from the most extreme examples, it's no wonder everyone's in such a tizzy Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad ideas can usually be traced back to the French but it doesn't follow that all French ideas are therefore bad. Cheese and champagne for example Smile

But if we do go back to where they placed the chairs the revolutionaries were on the Left and the traditionalists (conservatives) were on the Right. The point is you can't, in good faith, call Mussolini or Hitler Right-wing but you might level such a label at Putin as he seems very much against progressive and revolutionary ideas. When the TV cameras are on anyway, I doubt he really cares one way or the other while his bank accounts are being topped up.

Are the Democrats in America collectivists? I don't think so if we're looking at the old Soviet pattern of Communism however they do seem to have a lot more in common with 20th Fascist Europe IMHO, the State and private enterprise operating hand-in-glove.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Are the Democrats in America collectivists?

I look at the Covid response, and particularly that around the vaccines, and also the cult of climate change, and all the things they try to railroad everyone into on the backs of those, although of course it isn't only the US that does those - more of a globalist thing, but definitely more extreme in the US than many places. Look at the Republican states, and it's not something they go for in such extremism. The motivations may be one or more things, but the desire seems to often be to force everyone into the same behaviour ("force", as opposed to encourage, or convince on the basis of reason, even resorting to suppression of information).

I think you have to be very careful about all these definitions though. They're useful when trying to get a handle on various things, but looking for absolutes is probably a road to nowhere in politics. I think that's why we have so much friction, and people get mugged by inflexible ideology.

The "all bad ideas are French" quote was just something I saw recently that tickled me. I'm English - of course I love a bit of French bashing, a national pastime - like the French Army Knife with just a corkscrew and white flag Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

California is the pinnacle example of democracy not working; an electorate unqualified to vote. How dumb do have to be to swallow "Larry Elder, white supremist!" In contrast the Labour conference denounced "the chancellor's not really black" as going too far.

But with regards to the masks, from The Babylon Bee:

https://youtu.be/HlDWzN6TW5Y

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. With Russia looking more and more likely it's going to get it's arse kicked in the end (according to the stories put about by the media) and Putin nutty enough to use WMD's. Do you thing the powers that be would tell us if he had used a tactical nuke? Could they keep it quiet, maybe to stop mass panicking and migration from around the war zone or would it be totally impossible to keep it quiet.

I'm sort of curious how much leverage governments have with media nowadays. Obviously in the past it was nigh on total control but now? could you cover that up?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a little nuke would trigger siesmic detectors the world over so it would be difficult to hush up.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Even a little nuke would trigger siesmic detectors the world over so it would be difficult to hush up.

Nuclear weapons are usually airburst - the idea is to keep the fireball off of the ground to minimise fallout. Seismographs wouldn't necessarily detect that but satellites would and so would radiation monitoring stations.

The NEMP effect might be a tad difficult to hush up as well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:11 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactical ones ren't normally air burst because if their relatively low yield.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tactical ones ren't normally air burst because if their relatively low yield.

They are. Apart from the fact that they're more efficient when airburst because the fireball and the shock front has a greater reach, you really don't want to be kicking a load of highly radioactive dirt and debris into the air when a change of wind direction could be catastrophic for your own troops or territory.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that tactical nukes make much sense against the Ukrainian forces in this war anyway, since I don't think Zelensky's forces will be deploying in mass concentrations. The only place I can really see them making sense for the Russians is for a well-defended urban area.

I think it more likely that Putin might let one off in a fairly open and empty area just to demonstrate his willingness to use them.

All speculation though, as they have never been used before, and so there is no tested scenario to tell how best to deploy them. I think their original intended use was to be against massed armoured forces, as that was the expected Soviet tactic in Europe. And even then it would have been a last resort if those armoured forces had broken through conventional defences, which were also always developing - the attack helicopter in particular becoming more effective in weaponry and tactics against the armoured threat.

For Putin I think they make more sense as a terror weapon than having any real tactical value.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm not sure that tactical nukes make much sense against the Ukrainian forces in this war anyway, since I don't think Zelensky's forces will be deploying in mass concentrations. The only place I can really see them making sense for the Russians is for a well-defended urban area.

I think it more likely that Putin might let one off in a fairly open and empty area just to demonstrate his willingness to use them.

All speculation though, as they have never been used before, and so there is no tested scenario to tell how best to deploy them. I think their original intended use was to be against massed armoured forces, as that was the expected Soviet tactic in Europe. And even then it would have been a last resort if those armoured forces had broken through conventional defences, which were also always developing - the attack helicopter in particular becoming more effective in weaponry and tactics against the armoured threat.

For Putin I think they make more sense as a terror weapon than having any real tactical value.

I think you've summed it up perfectly. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have a horrible feeling that if someone doesn't put a bullet in his head before it's totally obvious his army is going to get forced back completely he will use one. If only for the 'I'm willing to use these if you don't stop the fighting and come to the negotiating table' scenario. Stop the fighting whle he still has control of the areas he holds now and he can claim. at least internally, to have won, and at least achieved his objectives.

Will the US be willing to play brinkmanship with a loony holding the buttons of ICBMs?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ICBM threat only becomes real if sovereign Russian territory is threatened.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I think you've summed it up perfectly. Thumbs Up

I don't know. As I said, it's all just speculation. The one thing that is predictable about war is that it is unpredictable!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7