BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Monkeypox!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Monkeypox! Reply with quote

No, I have no idea what it is, whether you catch it from shagging chimps or whatever but the WHO seem to think it's the next thing to cull the human race.

WHO declares monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

Perhaps Boris should have a party now, before they are banned.

In seriousness

The latest figures show that more than 16,000 cases of monkeypox have been reported to the WHO

Should we be worried?

https://www.politico.eu/article/who-monkeypox-outbreak-global-health-emergency/

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it can be sorted using a smallpox vaccine, so not really the end of the world. Perhaps not the best time to shag and cuddle a monkey though, should one be that way inclined...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very puzzling to hear them say that although it is generally very mild, that isn't the case in Europe. What's that supposed to mean?
I have a feeling we're not going to hear any real facts about this one. I leave you to design your own conspiracy theories, but I just think the media are so far removed from bothering to try to get any that they might as well just be totally ignored.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. WHO declares monkeypox outbreak a global emergency.
[quote]In an unusual move, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the declaration even though a committee of experts he had convened to study the issue did not advise him to do so, having failed to reach a consensus.

Though the committee does not formally vote, a survey of the members revealed that nine thought a ‘public health emergency of immediate concern’ (PHEIC) should not be declared and six supported a declaration. When the group met in June, the breakdown was 11 against and three for.

“Nine and six is very, very close,” Tedros said in a news conference called to announce the decision. “Since the role of the committee is to advise, I then had to act as a tie-breaker.”

https://www.statnews.com/2022/07/23/who-declares-monkeypox-outbreak-a-public-health-emergency/#comments

Before the conspiracy-theory nut jobs start kicking off about Bill Gates, the WEF and The Great Reset I’d say this is just an unwise, risk-averse decision by Tedros. However, it does seem like the whole world is moving away from consensus politics and a few are making high-handed decisions because they think they know best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that all these international organisations are worse than useless, and should be ignored. There is no doubt that politics plays a big role among their ranks, and they seem to be inept at best.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Before the conspiracy-theory nut jobs start kicking off about Bill Gates

What IS your obsession with this guy?! Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mad man with a knife is dangerous enough but a sane man with money and power... Shocked

BTW 16,000 cases, 5 deaths. And if you're not into bare-back-bumming probably nothing to worry about. As you can't allude to ppl's sexual preferences or even basic morality then the WHO have no choice but to label it a potential catastrophe.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It was very puzzling to hear them say that although it is generally very mild, that isn't the case in Europe. What's that supposed to mean?

Not sure, maybe we aren't 'used to' the disease? I believe there's two variants; the West African and Central African/Congo Basin, the latter of which is meant to be more severe. We have the West African variant apparently.

Anyway stop asking questions and get your fcuking vaccine... https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/monkeypox-vaccination-resources/monkeypox-waiting-for-your-vaccination

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
.bare-back-bumming.

I’ve just spat my tea out laughing at that one Laughing Thumbs Up .

Is that the same as a ‘shit on the knob job’? Shocked

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's racist to call them monkeys

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its gay sex, but just that gay people tend to have sex with a lot more people than most straight people.

Vax is mostly being offered to people eligible for PrEP.

chickenstrip wrote:

What IS your obsession with this guy?! Laughing

A thousand words

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/El1a_rZXEAEUR44?format=jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Not sure, maybe we aren't 'used to' the disease?

I don't like to guess. Nor do I think anyone else should. For now, I will dismiss the comment, and say that as yet, I have no reason to believe it to be the case, since no reason was offered where I heard it. That was actually the main thing that struck me. Why would anyone say such a thing, and then not explain it?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It takes something for even Blair to look at someone as though they're a nut case Laughing

Btw: Bill Gates: From Big Pharma to Big Farmer?
Dunno, couldn't place it in a funnier context but like the phrase Laughing
I think I came up with it, don't recall seeing it elsewhere Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
And if you're not into bare-back-bumming probably nothing to worry about. As you can't allude to ppl's sexual preferences or even basic morality then the WHO have no choice but to label it a potential catastrophe.

TBF the government are:
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) currently recommends that MVA is offered to:
- healthcare workers who are caring for and who are due to start caring for a patient with confirmed monkeypox...
- gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men* (GBMSM) at highest risk of exposure. Your doctor or nurse will advise vaccination for you if they consider you are at high risk – for example if you have multiple partners, participate in group sex or attend ‘sex on premises’ venues...
- people who have already had close contact with a patient with confirmed monkeypox...

*Confused
chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Not sure, maybe we aren't 'used to' the disease?

I don't like to guess. Nor do I think anyone else should. For now, I will dismiss the comment, and say that as yet, I have no reason to believe it to be the case, since no reason was offered where I heard it. That was actually the main thing that struck me. Why would anyone say such a thing, and then not explain it?

Oh I think I see your point now, a bit like how the South African variant was said (by S.Africa) to be mild, yet we panicked and re-introduced masks.

I was thinking how generally you're more susceptible to getting really sick from illnesses in/from a different region, or how for example a Vitamin D deficiency* played a role with covid, so maybe (I don't know) being melanin challenged makes you more susceptible... yes I'm guessing Cool

*'If you have dark skin – for example you have an African, African-Caribbean or south Asian background – you may also not make enough vitamin D from sunlight.'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I speculate about these things, I'm really no better than the media.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If I speculate about these things, I'm really no better than the media.

They don't even speculate, now they knowingly push false narratives whilst pretending to be truthful.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
They don't even speculate, now they knowingly push false narratives whilst pretending to be truthful.

The pretence has pretty much been dropped Sad Some recent interviews I've seen with old skool traditional journalists pretty much confirmed that the media is just staffed by activists at this point.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
M.C wrote:

The pretence has pretty much been dropped Sad Some recent interviews I've seen with old skool traditional journalists pretty much confirmed that the media is just staffed by activists at this point.

The activists control the type of stories they run, daily racisms and other social justice topics, but they don't normally publish a story and say oh btw its bollocks Smile

Although hilariously the BBC can effectively do that with their two line, 'see we's impartial' alternative viewpoint they have at the end of the article.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
As you can't allude to ppl's sexual preferences or even basic morality then the WHO have no choice but to label it a potential catastrophe.

'The World Health Organisation (WHO) is advising gay men to limit their number of sexual partners in an effort to slow the spread of monkeypox.'
https://news.sky.com/story/monkeypox-gay-men-advised-to-limit-number-of-partners-to-slow-disease-spread-12660346

They've only gone and done it Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the start of the epidemic it was reported it was predominately gay men that were catching and spreading it. Not sure why you've all only just realised this.

From May...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61557154

"A notable proportion of recent cases in the UK and Europe have been found in gay and bisexual men so we are particularly encouraging these men to be alert to the symptoms," she said.

Andy Seale, an adviser to the WHO, said: "While we're seeing some cases in men, this is not a 'gay disease' as some people and social media have labelled it.

"It seems clear it's linked to close contact, whether through social contact or possibly sexual contact," he added in a social media session that was set up to answer questions from the public.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Not sure why you've all only just realised this.

Most of this topic has been about bumboys Confused

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
From May...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61557154

"A notable proportion of recent cases in the UK and Europe have been found in gay and bisexual men so we are particularly encouraging these men to be alert to the symptoms," she said.

She being Dr Susan Hopkins from the UKHSA, which I linked to above twice...

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Andy Seale, an adviser to the WHO, said: "While we're seeing some cases in men, this is not a 'gay disease' as some people and social media have labelled it.

"It seems clear it's linked to close contact, whether through social contact or possibly sexual contact," he added in a social media session that was set up to answer questions from the public.

A bit different to what's being said now no?

This, he* said, included for men who have sex with men "for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners, reconsidering sex with new partners, and exchanging contact details with any new partners to enable follow-up if needed".
*WHO Director General

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he also went onto say...

Dr Tedros said: "The focus for all countries must be engaging and empowering communities of men who have sex with men...

"Stigma and discrimination can be as dangerous as any virus, and can fuel the outbreak."

Although 98% of cases so far are among men who have sex with men, anyone exposed can get monkeypox.

Eh?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Although he also went onto say...

Dr Tedros said: "The focus for all countries must be engaging and empowering communities of men who have sex with men..

I love the buzz words

"Stigma and discrimination can be as dangerous as any virus, and can fuel the outbreak."

You what? How?

Although 98% of cases so far are among men who have sex with men, anyone exposed can get monkeypox.[/i]
Eh?

And that still isn't a 'gay' disease?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:13 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of the people in Africa who get it get it from monkeys, so maybe a bestiality plague.

If you don't get that it's not to do with homosexuality but to do with promiscuity theres a fault in your thinking.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see what all the fuss is about myself. It doesn't seem to be killing many people. 5 worldwide so far, something like that? Seems to be getting a lot of attention for such a mild disease.

I think what it does highlight is one of the problems of globalisation and free movement around the world.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3