Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Introduction. New to biking, 32 years old.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moonly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:53 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Introduction. New to biking, 32 years old. Reply with quote

Hello BCF community!

So my story is a bit crazy, but to be brief, I'm 32 years old and just bought my first bike. This month I moved from the USA to Greece, I've never done anything like this before. I wanted to get a car, but because I'm a foreigner I could not register a car in my name. In desperation for some form of transport, I was advised that a small 50cc bike would probably allow me to stay under the radar and avoid getting into trouble while I wait for my citizenship papers (about 6 months).

Being a desperate, stubborn rebel, I stretched this advice and got a 100cc bike that looks like it's 50cc. It's a Honda Astrea Grand, which is very popular in Southeast Asia. Has anybody heard of this bike? I would love some info/tips on it. Today I rode it for several miles, it is very fun and comfortable.

Finally, it seems that this forum is focused on the UK, so I apologize if me being in Greece is problematic. But I registered here because it seemed like a good community for me.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up

Being in Greece no bother. Most posters here are UK based but there's a few further afield.

Never heard of that particular model but have been a hardcore scooterist across Greek territories on a couple of occasions. There's some lovely roads and great weather of course.

What made you move from US to Greece??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Astrea Grand' looks a bite like the Honda Wave we get. Stinkwheel has one i think and may well have some hints and tips.

A handful of Yanks frequent this site and mostly make welcome contributions... Cheers.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonly, Welcome to the Asylum.
Like you, I am an expatriate. Unlike you, I have not applied for citizenship in my adopted country. Morocco, like Greece, prohibits non citizens from automobile ownership. However, legal residents (green-card holders) may own automobiles and motorcycles. I got my carte sejour (green card) in 2017, and have been motoring around on a Yamaha YBR 125 since 2019. I think that once your legal formalities have been sorted, a whole new world will open up for you. Hope that you will be able and willing to share some of your experiences motoring around Greece with your BCF friends.

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 11:17 - 25 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
A handful of Yanks frequent this site and mostly make welcome contributions... Cheers.

I like the way you phrased that. Cool

Moonly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
There's some lovely roads and great weather of course.

What made you move from US to Greece??

jeffyjeff wrote:
I think that once your legal formalities have been sorted, a whole new world will open up for you. Hope that you will be able and willing to share some of your experiences motoring around Greece with your BCF friends.

It's absolutely beautiful here, I'm near an town named Chalkida, pinched between mainland Greece and the island of Evia. Everywhere I go makes me glad that I moved, and glad that I have a scooter, because of the incredible scenery. I will certainly be posting pictures here on BCF.
I moved here for a lot of reasons, but primarily because I've always wanted to live outside of the USA, and I have family in Greece (my father immigrated to the USA). Aside from that, the social/political unrest in the states is tearing up friends and families everywhere, it's a sour situation and a good time to start fresh somewhere else.
Yes, it's been a gauntlet trying to start a life here before my citizenship and tax status has been sorted out. But my lawyer says it should be 6 months or less before everything is processed, and I certainly get the impression that the world (and especially the EU) will open up to me when this is all done! Very Happy

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Smile

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Introduction. New to biking, 32 years old. Reply with quote

Moonly wrote:
Being a desperate, stubborn rebel, I stretched this advice and got a 100cc bike that looks like it's 50cc. It's a Honda Astrea Grand

https://i.imgur.com/90NiHbh.jpg

Razz I've never heard of the Astrea Grand, not sure they were ever sold in the UK, so you might have trouble getting really specific detailed advice here. But on the other hand, it really looks like a variation on the Honda C90/Innova/Wave series of step through, semi-auto bikes, so most of the info relating to those will probably apply to your bike too. Welcome to the forum!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name aside, I reckon its basically a circa or early 2000's C100 with the leg shields removed.
I hope it has an air filter ( cant see one but it may be out of view)
and what's that cable dangling under the engine?
It should be a simple reliable runabout if the basic servicing is followed.

Mind you, if it's good enough for Marlon Brando
who are we to argue?

Moonly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Name aside, I reckon its basically a circa or early 2000's C100 with the leg shields removed.
I hope it has an air filter ( cant see one but it may be out of view)
and what's that cable dangling under the engine?
It should be a simple reliable runabout if the basic servicing is followed.

Mind you, if it's good enough for Marlon Brando
who are we to argue?

The leg shields are removed, the seller messaged me today offering to give them to me for an extra $20 along with what I believe to be the original exhaust. Is there a reason to buy these? I figure if I'm trying to pass as a 50cc moped, I want to appear less bulky.

No clue about the air filter, I'll post a pic of the one for my bike and maybe someone can tell me if it should be visible.

Finally, I'd love any tips on what "basic servicing" entails on this kind of machine! Embarassed In any case, I'm sure a little googling will go a long way for me.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd love any tips on what "basic servicing" entails on this kind of machine!"

If it were 'new to me'
I'd change the oil and spark plug plus air filter
as matter of course
Check and if needed, adjust the valve clearances
An inline fuel filter wouldn't hurt at all
Check and adjust chain and sprockets plus apply a bit of grease an them
Check the steering and swinging arm bearings
Check brake pads and shoes adjusting the rear brake accordingly
( after chain adjustment)
Check tyres for wear and pressure
Check lights and electrical system

All pretty easy and quick jobs

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just come back from a week on corfu and seen how well motorcycle helmet laws are enforced (not sure of the mainland are more hot on this but a quick google suggests not) I find it hard to believe the local police will give you more than half a glance.

The barman at the hotel we were staying at was telling me he’d had to respray his Ninja 1000 3 times because his 15 year old son keeps crashing it when he borrows it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - lots of banter and expect dry sarcasm at every corner, but on the whole a well meaning bunch. Thumbs Up

Your bike does indeed look like some variation on a Wave; probably a 3 or 4sp semi-auto. Agree looks a bit like the air filter is missing; if that's the case, I'd get one ASAP. Inexpensive. Change the oil too - if like my C90, it'll take a tiny amount (about 600ml in the case of my C90) and should be changed regularly. Other than that, keep the chain clean and lubed and you'll be good to go. They're very light bikes so the relative lack of power is slightly compensated for, plus they're very agile and will happily clamber over mild off-road stuff as well as the roads.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1