BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Retirement???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a new job in 2020 that was the absolute pinnacle of everything I could ever have hoped to achieve in my career. On paper it was so 'me' and should have seen me happily plugging away until I got bored of it then retire very comfortably - pension contribution was 25%.

The job didn't work out anything like it was on paper. I was bored within months and found it deeply unsatisfying.

My mindset changed from what it had always been - enjoying my career and work-life and wishing to retire only when that changed - to can I stick it out here another 10 years and then retire (very) early.

I've moved away from the role now and back in a decent company that I really enjoy working for. However, the experience has chastened me. I'm now very much a balance between the two approaches and have scaled down my retirement aspirations so that if my outlook changes again, I can realistically afford to retire and just do what I want for work - consulting 3 days a week, maybe.

Much like ThunderGuts - my hobbies aren't expensive. I can move from SE England and release some house equity, too.

The hardest part of all of this is having to balance the wife's expectations - she still seems to think we're going to be converting an historic building into a plush home with high end fixtures and spending 9 months a year abroad. Not for me thanks, I'd rather take the divorce early doors and save the quids in the long run Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:43 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Me,, I’m reducing my bikes, I only drive an old Ford Focus, and live in a smaller house than I used to.

Dibs on them please Laughing I like Hyosung and I am sure you had an odd Honley before...

I've already got rid of the car, which is a shame as it would have suited these roads, the wifes car does not! I've got my pottering around tool and my speed demon but other than that, I have almost zero outgoings and really want to relax more these days. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:45 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retiring at the end of this year at 55.

Lots of years in Power Stations and oil rigs mean I'll be well off when I finish up.
As much luck as judgement mibbe ?, who knows. Wee schemie from Tranent ends up loaded lol,

Selling up in East Lothian and moving to the Scottish borders, and buying a donkey.

Am trying to plan it that my pension also funds some sort of retirement for my two lads when I snuff it. Cause they;ll have fuck all in the way of pensions.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

The hardest part of all of this is having to balance the wife's expectations - she still seems to think we're going to be converting an historic building into a plush home with high end fixtures and spending 9 months a year abroad. Not for me thanks, I'd rather take the divorce early doors and save the quids in the long run Laughing

Hard!!?? Downright impossible I'd say. My wife was a fuckin' burden and still is until the kids are all 18, but knowing I don't have to give a tuppenny toss about her expectations now is what gets me up in the morning.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
I'm retiring and buying a donkey..

Shocked and what do you intend doing with this donkey? Tut Tut

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Retirement??? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

My plan is to buy a house this year or next (waiting on uncertainty over rates, etc at the moment) and then pay it off asap. I am a sole applicant looking for something 4 bedrooms in the £275,000 to £325,000 range here in Scotland.

Fuck me, that IS Scotland at that price isn't it?! Laughing

This is the type of thing I am looking at:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124123748

The things I like about it:

1. Large garage to put a couple motorcycles into,
2. Driveway close to wall so that I can mount a home charger for any electric cars,
3. 2 en-suite bedrooms (mine and my sons),
4. 2 other bedrooms (one guest room and one home theatre/ weeb shit room),
5. Separate laundry/ utilities room,
6. Downstairs bedroom (would use as a home office),
7. Very low maintenance rear garden with large outhouse (that I would turn into a sauna with an indoor jacuzzi).

I really like that house, I just don't have the deposit in place yet or I'd make a move.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pension took a sodding great hit in the 2008 debacle but I still retired when I did because the house was paid for, the boat(s) were paid for. Wifie still works so that's some of the bills paid for. Cool

I don't have a large income but then I don't have any large outgoings except marina fees (£1000 a quarter) so I don't need a big income and that is basically the key to retiring isn't it. If you want to travel the world, go on cruises and holidays then you are going to need some serious cash, I did all that when working and nowadays I doubt if my monthly outgoings ever hit £1500 except on rare big puchase times.

It's all I want in life now.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:17 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Retirement??? Reply with quote

This is the type of thing I am looking at:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124123748

To many people around for my liking Laughing but that is definitely some space. I went for external space rather than internal here, we still have 3 bedrooms/1 is my office but you know... its plenty big and we have something silly like 8 car parking spaces, a 3 car garage Laughing It was 220k and there is no one around to anger apart from old doris next door whos deaf as a post.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Diggs"]
Keithy wrote:

It is. Statistically those who make it to retirement age are guaranteed to die.

Hmm? I find that everybody dies and it can be quite deadly, especially for those that have retired Shocked Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I doubt if my monthly outgoings ever hit £1500 except on rare big puchase times.

It's all I want in life now.

Hmm that's still 18k pa net - which ain't half bad. Drawing state pension too?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Retirement??? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
To many people around for my liking Laughing but that is definitely some space. I went for external space rather than internal here, we still have 3 bedrooms/1 is my office but you know... its plenty big and we have something silly like 8 car parking spaces, a 3 car garage Laughing It was 220k and there is no one around to anger apart from old doris next door whos deaf as a post.

If you don't mind me asking, where about is that and when did you purchase it? Seems incredible for the price!

I can't go out with a certain radius of where I stay now simply so my son doesn't have to change schools.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:16 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Retirement??? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where about is that and when did you purchase it? Seems incredible for the price!

I can't go out with a certain radius of where I stay now simply so my son doesn't have to change schools.

I'm well out of your radius Wink butt fuck of nowhere, with zero internet capability via normal methods Laughing I would not recommend if you like to live in the now, I have wood stores, oil tanks and a pit of shit in the garden Mr. Green

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bona fide stable and long-term WFH job that pays reasonably and don't mind living like a hermit, there are some impressive pads around in the wilds of Scotland and other rural patches of the UK. Heck, even whole islands can be had sometimes for less than you think. But those are fairly significant constraints. I can imagine an author, poet etc. setting up shop there, but if you have family, want to go for a pint in the pub, don't want a 200 mile round trip to get your bike MOT'd etc.. then you're a bit stuffed.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I still cry, every time I receive paperwork back from the pension fund, about the expected annuity from my pot.....

Aye, what we on now 5% at 60 if you're lucky - was 8 or 9 not that long ago - makes a BIG difference.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our plan is for 'er indoors to retire when our last sprog is through University and we've downsized so don't have a mortgage any more. Hopefully that will be when we are both 61. I want to keep on working until I'm 67, albeit for 6 months a year only. At the moment I am lucky because I can do this easily in my line of work as 3 & 6 month contracts are common. The plan is for her to do pole-dancing, squid-weaving or whatever whilst I work, then for the 6 months I am not at work we feck off to the sun to spend the money I've earned. When our State pensions kick in at 67 I can pack in work completely and presumably sit in a pool of my own piss until I die... All assuming nothing goes wrong in the meantime Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:35 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
don't want a 200 mile round trip to get your bike MOT'd etc

I would just not worry about getting MOT'd at that point Laughing Sounds like few people around.

I am WFH on a pretty decent wage at a London based company, living 150-ish miles from Central London and theres no one here, I could probably never get my bikes insured and get away with that... fuck knows what would happen in the true north - but its definitely something I'd like to do!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel and I both work in the same field. Our plan is once the mortgage is paid off, she's going to quit her job and we're both going to do mine between the two of us.

Going directly into retirement kills some people.

That means we effectively have half the working hours we currently do and we'll have the extra time to ourself while the other is at work (they only get one or other of us). However, when we have time off, it will be together. When we're on call, it'll be shared between us and therefore half as onerous.

Work are quite into this idea because they get the benefit of a whole hell of a lot of experience and we are both good at different aspects of the job so they are getting a great package.

From our point of view, we both get a lot more time to do our own things and a lot more time together. Currently on call rotas tend to clash more than they don't. We'll also be paid more because there will be two tax-free allowances to use up and I'm pretty sure if the company car is shared between us, it can be classed as a pool car.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mrs stinkwheel and I both work in the same field.

Everyday?!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Mrs stinkwheel and I both work in the same field.

Everyday?!

Worzel Gummage and Aunt Sally join in too.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of people I know, who 'did the right thing' from day one and are now fucked. Some of whom I told, right on that day one, that they'd end up fucked. They called me a cynical bastard.

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it."

Bernard Shaw.

I screwed 'The Man' from day one and have absolutely zero regret. For me, it worked, like a charm.

Commiserations to those who thought they were doing the right thing; you were lead by hyenas.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
The number of people I know, who 'did the right thing' from day one and are now fucked. Some of whom I told, right on that day one, that they'd end up fucked.

A lot of truth in that. Young people would never believe it though.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I screwed 'The Man' from day one and have absolutely zero regret. For me, it worked, like a charm.

How?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:07 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how I'm going to retire, I dont understand pensions at all. Im paying into my work one, no idea if itll be worth anything. Probably gonna drop dead before getting it anyway with retirement ages increasing.

My biggest fear is renting all my life. Try as a might I just cant scrape together £30k+ for a mortgage deposit, so stuck renting forever more then coming up to retirement and having no home, so having the insecurity of renting as a retiree, and the only places you can afford to rent are some hideous council run "sheltered living" scheme prison block looking monstrosity, reeking of piss and unwashed old people, and having 80yr old Betty wandering the halls like a zombie banging on your door because shes riddled with dementia but not quite enough to be put in a care home.

Basically probably just gonna work til I die. Rolling Eyes

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 19:33 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearly 29 and have been unofficially 'retired' since 27, although technically I'm just unemployed until further notice. The 9-5 life didn't afford me any of my assets though.

I used to be up at night wondering how the fuck I'd ever own a property, even a little one, despite working 40 hours a week at a mind-numbing keyboard-monkey job. I never came from a privileged background, my family owned no assets and were in debt. With that in mind, I worked out that I'd have to spend decades just working very hard, even getting a weekend job ontop of my 9-5 and would need to go full hermit, no social life, no expenses, and no fun, just to own even a small property within proximity to somewhere I could work.

Anyway, fast-forwarding, I'm glad I broke the mould but I'm also very aware of the fact that it could've been wildly different, and that most people face the same reality that I did back then when it comes to retiring and being able to own their home.

Having said that, although I'm massively grateful for the privileged position I'm in, this 'retirement' shit has got very fucking boring very fucking quickly. It's been about a year where I've achieved not very much and I'm bored stiff. The novelty of doing whatever you want whenever you want with as many fun-coupons as you want has worn off a bit.

I've just got into a relationship with a lovely woman and she's such a well-adjusted individual. With that, I've felt the urge recently to get off my arse and get working again. Realistically I don't need to financially because I could sustain my lifestyle for many years, but my brain is completely understimulated these days and I kind of miss the buzz of being in a working environment.

I'm still very employable, as I've found out, getting interviews left right & centre, so I've at least got that to go off and it's motivating.

I've also adopted a world view that you can walk into absolutely any-fucking-thing and wing your way to the top. It feels good. Dunno what the future holds, but I definitely don't want to slowly decay over the next fifty years doing a lot of things but achieving very little.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Anyway, fast-forwarding, I'm glad I broke the mould but I'm also very aware of the fact that it could've been wildly different…

Aren’t you the fella who gambled on Bitcoin and got lucky?

Meef wrote:
I'm still very employable, as I've found out, getting interviews left right & centre, so I've at least got that to go off and it's motivating.

Getting interviews is easier than getting a job.

Meef wrote:
…I've also adopted a world view that you can walk into absolutely any-fucking-thing and wing your way to the top.

Good luck. Not an unrealistic expectation though, sadly. Future management material. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3