Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Triple.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Street Triple. Reply with quote

Hello, I'm in need of a do everything road bike with upright riding position, fuel gauge, gear position Indicator. and almost flat footed for 5ft8 and comfortable and easy to ride at a good pace on longer runs (all day)

I've got two old sportsbikes for fun but they are not really the best on long runs out or as an everyday bike. I read everywhere that the Street Triple would be a good option. I'm wanting a bike sub 900cc but >600cc. Looking for more than 100HP. Street Triple seems to tick all the boxes. Only problem is I've set my budget at £3k.

Any other options that you'd consider that meet my budget? 650's like the CB/CBR 650 or the Z/Ninja 650 just don't do it for me.

I have had a test ride on a Street triple about 7 years ago and it felt just ok. Fair enough only a 20 minute ride so no way could i draw conclusions but had my heart set on a VFR1200 back then.

Thanks, Love it when I'm thinking about buying a bike Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I think the Street Triple can be used as an everyday bike, I don't think it would be my choice for that.
Since your budget is only £3k, that limits you to earlier models, and I had a 2012 one, so I'll talk about the bike I know.
The standard seat was bloody uncomfortable for anything other than short trips. I replaced it with the Triumph comfort seat, and that improved it a bit. There is an even plusher option available.
In the end, I found I couldn't go anywhere on it without caning it. It just cried out for it. That's obviously not ideal if you just want to get from a to b, especially as the fuel tank isn't huge (no fuel gauge on that model either - I'd usually fill up at the 90-100 mile mark to be safe). Although that may be more about me Laughing
You say you already have bikes for fun, and for me, that is what the ST is about, although a bit more versatile than some.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2011 version. A wonderful bit of kit. I couldn't fault it for what it did, handled well, comfy (I found it so anyway), fast enough etc.

My biggest gripe about it was the paint seemed soft. Maybe that was just mine, the omly gloss STR of the range at the time, the others were that matt finish. I strapped a tent to the seat fairing and damaged the paint so bought Ventura system for it which worked OK but then, as I was doing a lot of touring at the time, I decided to trade it in for my Trophy.

I loved it for fun but wouldn't particularly call it practical but there again, how often do we buy practical bikes. That's what a car is for.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will suggest a bike they know so consider an XSR700 Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
People will suggest a bike they know so consider an XSR700 Razz

I like that but out of my budget.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about an early Yamaha Fazer 600 or a ZZR600. both seem to be well regarded by owners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:25 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Kawasaki Z750 or 750S if you want a half fairing.

Fairly standard UJM, nothing spectacular but they work. BMWF800ST or S if you want something a little more sporty, though it's a relatively unexciting twin which you say you want to avoid and down on your 100bhp a bit. VFR800's are within that budget, though may just feel like a step down from the 1200. Honda also have the CBF600/1000, good if you want something that just works but pretty uninspiring.

Unsure of fuel/gear indicators on all these bikes so have a rea up.

Left field option of a Ducati Multistrada 1000ds. Only 90bhp and again not sure on indicators, may also require tip toes or one flat foot from memory but it's a slim bike so seat height is negated a little. I'm 5"7 and had no problems with one foot down. Have to be able to like the look of it though.

Had a 2010 Street Triple when new. Great bike but short tank range, got blasted at higher speed/on motorways and wet. If you're going to use it as an everyday bike in all weathers there are better options out there. Turning circle is annoyingly large as well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
what about an early Yamaha Fazer 600 or a ZZR600. both seem to be well regarded by owners.

I have a Fazer 600 as a hack and I owned a ZZR1100. Neither remotly get close to a STR in any sense.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Street Triple. Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Hello, I'm in need of a do everything road bike with upright riding position, fuel gauge, gear position Indicator. and almost flat footed for 5ft8 and comfortable and easy to ride at a good pace on longer runs (all day)

Agree with everything chickenstrip says, the Mk1 street triple is a great bike, but not an easy bike, or an all day bike. Later versions have apparently had some of the sharp edges sanded off, and may be better as an all rounder, but they're out of your price range.

But reading your requirements, I'm not going to suggest the obvious (VFR750/800FI) as you've had the 1200 and I'm guessing you've considered them. Instead, I'm going to suggest chickenstrip's favourite, Mk1 Fazer 1000. A bit over your CC limit and no gear indicator (and I'm not sure about the seat height), but otherwise fits, and loads available in your price range.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very specific criteria . . . but I'd say at least go and test ride a VFR800. It's the power you want, the capacity you want, it has the features you want, fairly sure you'll flat foot it and it'll be comfy all day. It's no ST on the twisties as it's carrying 50-60kg at least over the Trumpet, but the Viffer is a bona-fide mile muncher and it's still great fun and while a different tune to the triple, the V4 is a lovely sound, esp with aftermarket pipes.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy these, never ridden one mind you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374169338729

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:11 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have another in a heartbeat, it isn't exactly the most upright comfy bike, so an all day ride etc, but I had no issues riding to France and around for a few days.

I loved it. I almost bought another, but I lucked out and got a Daytona at half price Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I fancy these, never ridden one mind you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374169338729

I've heard (no direct input) they are pretty gutless and suffer from quite a few gremlins so I certainly wouldn't be looking at them as an everyday steed.

Pretty bikes though.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:43 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you sat on a Street Triple ?

the wife has one, I wouldnt call it sat up myself, I am 6ft 2" on a good day and although its not full on sports bike lean forward, its enough to put pressure on my lower back

seeing as you want a bike thats more of a tourer/commuter/work horse, what about something like a V-Strom or similar ? maybe NC750x, might be too slow but also the CB500X

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I've now bought a Street Triple.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Good choice, but you clearly didn't need much persuasion Wink

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 15:57 - 26 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Good choice, but you clearly didn't much persuasion Wink

I get the impression this was much more of a "I'm buying a street triple, you've got less than 24 hours to stop me!" thread. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:00 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

White, round headlights, loud cans, all you need. If its not white, send it back.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested both. The Street was a revvy little nutter, fun for short hoons but not for longer mixed-pace rides. The Speed was superb.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strumpet has the same engine as the Speed. Just saying....

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The strumpet has the same engine as the Speed. Just saying....

The 1050 in the Sprint is its best feature by far. I've ridden a Speed (and indeed the engine is what made me buy my Sprint as the Speed wasn't really an option for what I needed at the time) and it's night and day from the Sprint.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:13 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use in for commuting and its perfect. I don't do touring and can't do sports bikes any more.

As.g says sports bikes are the.perfect commuter so this is the best compromise.

If I wanted to tour I'd get a pan.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
struan80 wrote:

White, round headlights, loud cans, all you need. If its not white, send it back.

It's the cheapest Speed Triple I could find Paddy. So happens to be white with round headlights, not sure if the pipes are noisy yet. Stupid question but can you see from the picture whether it is the standard or aftermarket exhaust? Nope I never thought to ask. Will now though
Hope I've done the right thing, another random moment of madness
It's coming up from Hertfordshire on Monday

Link to the ebay add with more photo's and for a look before he takes it off.

Seems on the surface a decent bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225086761684?hash=item3468376ad4:g:8FYAAOSwOzpizHau

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/s-l500.jpg

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you up your budget? This looks decent. Did a search for GSR 750 as it ticks the boxes and I quite like mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325273130676

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet 900, and +1 for gsr750.

Gear indicator not on Hornet!
Shiver 900 a better version of a great 750!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5