Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric Vehicle Economy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Electric Vehicle Economy Reply with quote

I realise I am not the standard case for EV use as the vast majority of my electricity has been taken from the ChargePlace Scotland network which costs £0.00 per kWh, so my cost to run is virtually nil on electricity.

I've had my Tesla Model 3 Long Range for a number of months now and put on her exactly 4,000 miles.

I drive mostly on motorways so my economy is pretty terrible as there's not much regenerative braking on motorway trips. I also fucking hoon it in the mornings because I am chronically running late. Driving back home in the evening is at a much more relaxed pace. The miles on the clock would have been higher but every day I don't need to take my kid somewhere in the morning I will get on the bike.

I charge the car from around 10% - 20% up to 90% and I average around 290 - 310 Wh/mi. Real world mileage from approx. 90% to 10% has been about 220 - 290 miles per charge, it genuinely varies a lot depending on the type of driving and weather conditions sometimes I get shit economy, other times I fucking hyper-mile, but, it's normally on the lower end because of my commuting habits.

So now I am interested in comparing the economy of driving electric to petrol in terms of energy usage and cost.

ENERGY:

We know the energy used by my car is about 310 Wh/mi.

We know the energy density of petrol is 46 MJ/kg.

SOURCE: https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Energy_density

We know that 1 litre of petrol is 0.74kg.

SOURCE: https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/resources/why-does-burning-1-litre-of-fuel-create-over-2kg-of-carbon-dioxide/#:~:text=One%20litre%20of%20petrol%20weighs,it's%20a%20potent%20greenhouse%20gas.

As such one litre of petrol has (46.00 MJ/kg x 0.74 kg = 34.04 MJ) 34.04 MJ/l of energy in it.

We know a UK imperial gallon has 4.546 litres in it.

SOURCE: https://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/uk-gallons-to-liters.htm

As such one gallon of petrol has (34.040 MJ/l x 4.546 l = 154.75 MJ) 154.75 MJ of energy in it.

We know the most popular car in the UK for 2022 is the Vauxhall Corsa.

SOURCE: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars-vans/94280/best-selling-cars-2022-uks-top-10-most-popular-models

Vauxhall state the average combined mpg of 54.4 for petrol engines.

SOURCE: https://www.parkers.co.uk/vauxhall/corsa/review/mpg-running-costs/

As such the energy used per mile in the Vauxhall Corsa is (154.75 MJ/ 54.4 miles = 2.845 MJ/mi) = 2.845 MJ/mi.

We know my Tesla uses about 310 Wh/mi, so we convert this to MJ/mi = 1,116,000 J/mi = 1.116 MJ/mi.

SOURCE: https://www.unitconverters.net/energy/watt-hour-to-joule.htm

Now we know the approximate energy economy of both vehicles in Mega-Joules per mile, we can calculate how much more efficient the electric car is over a petrol car in terms of energy conversion which shows us that the Tesla is 87.30% more efficient in terms of energy used per mile travelled than the Vauxhall.

SOURCE:
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-difference-calculator.php

PRICE:

We know that the average cost of petrol per litre is currently £1.86.

SOURCE: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/fuel-watch/

Therefore the cost per mile is (£1.86/(54.4mpg/4.546l)) = (1.86 £'s/l / 11.97mi/l) = £0.16 per mile.

We know that the average cost of electricity for at home charging is variable depending on the time of day, but I will assume the average at peak time of £0.19/kWh.

SOURCE: https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-electricity-kwh-uk#nogo

Therefore the cost per mile is (0.19 £'s/1000kWh / (1000W/310Wh/mi) = (£0.19 / 3.23 mi) = £0.06 per mile.

Now we know the approximate energy economy of both vehicles in cost of energy per mile, we can calculate how much more efficient the electric car is over a petrol car in terms of cost per mile which shows us that the Tesla is 104.0% more efficient in terms of energy cost per mile travelled than the Vauxhall.

SOURCE:
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-difference-calculator.php

Electric vehicles god stomp petrol vehicles in efficiency.

INB4 someone says "OH BUT DIESEL" (they're being banned mate) or "OH BUT HYBRID" (still more inefficient) or "OH BUT TESLA MORE EXPENSIVE THAN VAUXHALL" (nonsense argument, it's comparing economy on the most popular electric car versus the most popular petrol car in the UK).

The electric car is way heavier than the petrol one and still god stomps it on economy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Wear your EV badge with pride. Wink

Straight efficiency isn't always the be all and end all of choosing a power source whether it be cars, boats aeroplanes or whatever. We had this discussion with electric planes which I'm sure are way more efficient than a jet or turbo prop. Doesn't work though. You cannot just look at one aspect. An electric motor, even the ones we had on ships back in the days of steam power were well over 80% efficient from what I remember and I'm sure the modern ones are probably way better than that. Trouble is where the electricity is generated. Include the losses from a diesel generator and the efficiency drops way off. You are not including losses from the power generation whereas the ICE has those losses inbuilt.

And yes, the relative cost of the vehicle is a huge factor simply because -
1. A large number of people can't afford 50 grand for an EV like yours.
2. You spend 20 grand on a Corsa Puke you have another 30 grand to spend on dino poo power before you have broken even.

You can pick facets of everything to make the case for one or the other, You are going on cost per mile, fine, we know EV's are way cheaper. Do the same with government taxes removed and tell me which would be cheaper -

Rough figures using your formula without government fuel taxes. 50% used because I really cannot be arsed to look it up.

(0.93 £'s/l / 11.97mi/l) = £0.08 per mile

Not that huge amount of difference in actual costs then so the cost per mile is an artificial figure because of government intervention.

Saying that, I'd have an EV if you could buy a second hand one with a decent range for under 10 grand but you can't.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economy is one thing, but cost is another, what is the PCP difference between a Tesla and an Corsa???

Nobody is denying EV's are economical, but they are ludicrously expensive for anyone who doesn't have the luxury of company car ownership (ie about 97% of car owners)

I mean yeah, we all know an electric motor is going to way more efficient than any ICE engine, purely from the fact an electric motor has 1 moving part, and generates negligable heat as a by-product

Compare that 2 an ICE engine with many hundreds of moving parts, all generating friction and heat, not-withstanding the fuel being burnt also generating heat, that heat is mostly useless, and only ever used in cold weather, after that the energy in that heat is 'lost' to atmosphere

It's hardly rocket science

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 15:37 - 26 Jul 2022; edited 3 times in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good point and use of SI units but..

My home electric (Shell) is 29p /KWh which I don't think is unusual at the moment, also according to Pod Point cost for public fast chargers is 44p/KWh.

The efficiency sidetrack is somewhat irrelevant since there are too many wasy electricity is generated and they all have different enviro impacts.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVs? Never!

Did the dinosaurs go extinct for nothing? Crying or Very sad
#DinosaurLivesMatter
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factor in depreciation and maintenance.

A 50,000 mile, 5yo Tesla S ~ £40,000. List price new £95,000.

Corsa is a bit weak, a 2017 5-series BMW would be a little more equivalent, comfort-wise @ ~ £18,000. List price new £42,000

The Tesla still needs tyres, brakes, suspension looking at like any car. I'll assume the motors would need very little (compared to ICE) in 5 years. Batteries though? The BMW would obviously cost more, ongoing, but I doubt it's range and power would drop much over 5 years.

Apples versus Oranges.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, but the Corsa's fuel tank doesn't shrink with age Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough points in retort. Name me any petrol car that’s the same price and I’ll run the calculations again for it.

EDIT: just to point out this was to compare the most popular electric car against the most popular petrol car. Also didn’t look at depreciation.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

lectric cars?
Pah !

Poofterwaggons

drive a coarser like a real man

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Fair enough points in retort. Name me any petrol car that’s the same price and I’ll run the calculations again for it.

EDIT: just to point out this was to compare the most popular electric car against the most popular petrol car. Also didn’t look at depreciation.

But it's not about finding a car the same price, its about find an equivalent size/spec of car

Thats the whole problem

Corsa Petrol engine - from £17k (£225 per month)
Corsa EV - from £28k (£350 per month)

Thats a fuck load of difference to anyone in the market for a small cheap car

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely wonder what the future is going to bring for EVs; not the tech, but what the government does. As EVs get more popular, a massive source of revenue (tax on fuel) is being constricted. The govt can't afford to lose this revenue stream, so they'll need to get it from somewhere else. The question is, where, but if most people end up with EVs the chances are they'll swoop in. My guess would be a pay-per-mile vehicle tax as it'll be cited as "fair" as it proportionally affects users (how fair it really is of course is another matter as there are CEOs who hardly go anywhere and people on living wage having to trek all over the place, that's without including those professions that actually involve driving, taxi, courier etc..). I think the "EV is cheap to run" bubble is just that and it'll burst at some point. It's likely that ICE vehicles will be even more expensive though as they won't want people to slide back towards ICE.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical . . .

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price per mile? Okay, so people are gonna wear it that an EV Corsa pays the same as an EV BMW, that doesn't sound fair Smile

Could do more for the environment by crushing the rail unions and bringing down the cost of the alternatives to road travel.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Price per mile? Okay, so people are gonna wear it that an EV Corsa pays the same as an EV BMW, that doesn't sound fair Smile

Could do more for the environment by crushing the rail unions and bringing down the cost of the alternatives to road travel.

Hence I said "fair" not fair. Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
My guess would be a pay-per-mile vehicle tax

I think it will be a set yearly tax based on the model of EV you have which will then be based on the original price of the vehicle. Could literally see people with £50 - £100 a month extra road tax (or whatever it will be named) on the low end and £200 - £400 on the high end (or greater for really expensive luxo-barges) and then they can sell that to the plebs as taxing the rich more than the poor even thought a guy paying £400 a month to float around in his £200,000 EV Rolls Royce isn't even going to notice it when someone in their poverty-spec Vauxhall is struggling with the extra £50.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Hence I said "fair" not fair. Wink

Yes, now you put it like that they'll definitely bring it in Sad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a lower cost per mile becomes more important as you do more miles.
Bikes are a case in point as while some do thousands of miles a year a lot barely do 5000 miles so paying about 3x more for comparable performance makes no sense at all.

Both EV cars and bikes come into their own for commuting they are very poor if used mainly for occasional longer trips and even worse at the moment for much longer journeys or holiday touring when far too much time will be spent worrying about charging and waiting for charging.
There will never be enough charge points when it takes an hour or more to get a sensible top up.

For long periods most of our power is not coming from renewables and it never will. Gas and nuclear are the mainstays and wind is often under 5% because there hardly is any.
So gas is being burned remotely and power sent through lines with significant losses to charge all the cars which now run at higher efficiency on a small tank of fuel whenever you need to go somewhere
Adding 1000s more turbines won't help when there isn't any wind and solar panels are not doing much at night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see electric as a simple drop-in replacement for what we've got at the moment. If you take all the cars on the road at the present time, and imagine them swapped for EVs, are there even enough rare earth minerals that would be needed for the batteries? In addition, the power grid would have to be significantly upgraded. There is a single new nuclear power station that's been authorised in the south east, but that's not a substitute for decades of underinvestment. The railway network is well below par, compared with other western European countries, plus it's very expensive and unreliable. Therefore, for the past few decades, the obvious transport solution for everyone has been either the car or the bus. It has been the norm to learn to drive, and to commute using a car to places that are out of town. People are more mobile than in some European countries (such as Spain) because of the car, yet (apparently) 50% of car journeys are under 5 miles long. It's now reached that tipping point where urban overcrowding, limits on development, street design and planning, and environmental and climate concerns all together will cause something to give way. My guess is, the shopping-trolley-car paradigm will simply bite the dust. Someone in this thread mentioned the £200/month ICE hire purchase small car vs the £350 EV hire purchase small car being a big deal for a certain type of buyer. I don't think that sort of customer will be around for much longer - habits are already changing quite fast.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soy mate has a model 3 LR. I like it, very easy to drive and fair shifts. Loads of boot space too. I'd like one for the wife who commutes around 24k miles per year.

But...

Having done the calculations (before fuel prices went mad admittedly) it was still significantly cheaper overall to buy her the 3 year old cooper SD (cost £11500) which we will own outright soon than it was to get an electric car of any type with long enough range to cope with her commute (100 mile round trip with no charging facilities at work). The advantage would be less clear cut if you were instead buying a new luxury car on PCP however.

So the running cost benefits of the EV become more of an advantage with more miles travelled but here is another key factor - consider what 24k/year does to the cost of a PCP or lease deal. Much more expensive than the usual 5k offers and you still don't own it at the end.

I accept the situation is different if you have a company car but most don't.

I'd like to make the transition with one car but the purchase price and monthly payments are mental in comparison to a lightly used ICE car, the lower running costs of EV are nowhere near enough to offset that.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
stuff

I agree with everything you've said there. I don't think that the average household will be running EVs in the future. I think the average household will be priced out of the market and simply won't own a car. I think it's going to happen quicker than people might think too as interest rates go up and cheap PCP deals dry up.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's completely unrealistic to electrify the UK car fleet never mind change globally - and they know it - so they are more than happy to see private vehicle ownership becoming exponentially more unaffordable.
It is the only option when net zero is their only concern
Everyone is being rounded up for a big cull.
It is probably already too late because those making the decisions are not elected they appoint each other.

Look at our two candidates for PM they are both WEF lapdogs.
Well there is no alternative because even before the absurd covid spending rampage and money printing they were in an insane borrowing situation and the rug will be pulled on a whim.

It all went desperately wrong in 2008 but the sh*t only hit the fan when the fake pandemic was launched as an attempt to reset everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Bhud wrote:
stuff

I agree with everything you've said there. I don't think that the average household will be running EVs in the future. I think the average household will be priced out of the market and simply won't own a car. I think it's going to happen quicker than people might think too as interest rates go up and cheap PCP deals dry up.

The average household doesn't live in London though with its good public transport infrastructure and therefore will still need a car.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's completely unrealistic to electrify the UK car fleet never mind change globally - and they know it - so they are more than happy to see private vehicle ownership becoming exponentially more unaffordable.
It is the only option when net zero is their only concern

But I don't think net zero is their concern. I really don't think they give a fcuk about the ECO unless it pays. I bet the government wish 'net zero EV bollox' had never reared it's head and that Greta wasn't smothered at birth.

Green is like BLM, LGBQ and whatever. Driven by a few and difficult for mainstream to ignore or ridicule even though they want to.

I bet every western European government would rather go on taxing the ICE cars through the nose as they have everyone accepting that. Changing to taxing EV's is really going to piss off the EV owners who have got used to (relativly) cheap electric.

If chubby grunpy scotty just bought his 50 grand Tesla and the government then said sorry mate, £300 a month fuel surcarge, guess what, he wouldn't be happy as his calculations have just been totally fcuked up.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 28 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I think the average household will be priced out of the market and simply won't own a car.

That's the plan. Anyone who matters will be fine cos they'll be in cities/larger towns, I guess everyone else will have to make do with working from home and amazon drone deliveries.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:56 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Tesla Model 3 Longe Range company car and it’s boring to drive (like playing a video game at warp speed) and really poorly built for a £50k car. I much prefer my Abarth 595 convertible for weekend fun and touring as it’s a real scream to drive; like a 1980’s rally car Twisted Evil I had to change my bike from an R1250GS to an S1000XR as the Tesla made my GS feel a bit sluggish Laughing

The Tesla is very cheap to run IF charged at home overnight at 5p/kWh = £3.75 for 300 miles range. It’s not so cheap of I have to use a Supercharger on the road, but still cheaper than a diesel car. I also quickly learnt to seek out free destination chargers when driving around the country on business.

Mine is at its most economical on the motorway at 72mph on the speedo. Thrashing it around the Yorkshire Dales reduces the range by 50% to 200 miles.

Would I but one with my own money? Definitely not as they’re too expensive and the smaller ones don’t have enough range to get me to the Lakes or North York Moors and back without charging on the road. My M3LR does.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I accept the situation is different if you have a company car but most don't.

I actually disagree mate, I think company cars make up a significant minority, if not slight majority of all EV car sales at the moment. Certainly when it comes to Teslas in particular it will shift heavily to company cars.

People earning in the £100,000+ zone don't want to pay themselves more money which gets' taxed at the 45% rate, they want an electric car which they will only pay 2% BIK tax on each year. It's an extremely tax efficient way to pay yourself more. That means on the Model 3 Long Rage you get a £60,000 car for only £39.25 a month (Scotland income tax rate applied, it's £38.25 in England) in additional tax!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2