Remortgaging

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Remortgaging Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

OK so our current mortgage product is about to end, so to avoid going to the SVR, we want to secure another rate. All good and well. However, there's a crucial bit of understanding I'm trying to get my head around and to be honest, it's quite difficult to put into words so here we go.

Assuming no overpayments, changes to loan value etc.. and a 25 year mortgage. It's entirely possible I've got some or all of this totally wrong by the way!

With a repayment mortgage, at the start of the term almost all the payments are going towards paying the interest. As the mortgage progresses it follows a curve with progressively more capital repayment making up where the monthly mortgage payment goes, until the end of the mortgage where it's almost entirely capital and minimal interest payment.

This next bit is just illustrative for simplicity (!); let's say on year 1 of the mortgage the monthly payments are 95% interest and 5% capital, by year 10 they're 75% interest and 25% capital. If it's a 25 year mortgage and we get a new product with a good interest rate with the current provider (i.e. it's the same mortgage still), then in year 11 it'll carry on where it left off, i.e. roughly 75% interest / 25% capital. However, if we switched to a new mortgage provider, with a 15 year term, the outstanding balance transfers across, so we still owe the same amount and we're still repaying over the same period in time. My question is:

Do we then start out again at the top of the curve, with 95% of the initial monthly payments going into interest, 5% on capital, therefore ultimately paying more in interest if the rates were equal, meaning that any improved rate on offer from another mortgage company would have to be offset against the fact that a greater amount of interest would potentially be paid over the remaining term of the mortgage?

Reading that back to myself it sounds pretty confusing, but I will see if anyone can digest my garble first before attempting to re-write it! Laughing

Cheers Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is 'yes', however I am happy to be corrected.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it's pretty much irrevelent

All you want to do is get the mortgage paid off as soon as bloody possible, and the best way to reduce the amount of interest you pay, is to overpay, as that is coming directly off the balance

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

All you want to do is get the mortgage paid off as soon as bloody possible, and the best way to reduce the amount of interest you pay, is to overpay, as that is coming directly off the balance

I agree, but that doesn't affect what happens in earlier part of the mortgage, hence the question. Overpaying just erodes capital faster, but the bulk of the interest is still in the first half of the mortgage (which is where my query is focussed on). What overpaying does do is reduce the LTV and opens up better rate options (but we already have access to good rates).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

I agree, but that doesn't affect what happens in earlier part of the mortgage, hence the question. Overpaying just erodes capital faster, but the bulk of the interest is still in the first half of the mortgage (which is where my query is focussed on). What overpaying does do is reduce the LTV and opens up better rate options (but we already have access to good rates).

And i'd agree with that, but i'd still say it is pretty much irrevelent what happens at which point of the repayment curve

The best way to pay less interest is to pay it off sooner, simple as that

The nice thing about overpaying though, is if you do ever get into a sticky wicket and need some funds, you can take a payment break and free up some funds quickly, its a win-win all round

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:57 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the curve doesn't change unless you change the term or balance outstanding.

Changing the term will alter the monthly payment (as does an interest rate change) and taking out more or overpaying will chang ethe balance outstanding.

All things being equal, if you don't change the term or outstanding balance, the amount you paid off the balance last month will be fractionally less than the one this month whether or not it's a new deal or the same old one or even Standard Interest Rate. The only change to the amount would be the interest paid.

I knocked up an excel spreadsheet a few years back (cause I used to calculate mortgage interest payments when I was a benefit clerk so know how to do it) to demonstate to a collegue how much overpaying reduces the term more than you expect.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's changing the term is where I'm at, i.e. if I've done 10 years of a 25 year mortgage, but stay with the current provider, then sure the term hasn't changed. If I remortgage, I'd do so with a 15 year term so I've effectively got the same balance to repay over the same time period, I guess the point I was circling was assuming that resets the curve back to scratch, does that mean that all things being equal I'll be paying more interest, so I'd have to actually get more than a marginally better new interest rate to offset that . . .

I suspect in reality the difference is massive in the scheme of things, but like anything related to mortgages, tiny percentages can be significant sums of money if it's in cash and it's on the desk in front of you!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

The best way to pay less interest is to pay it off sooner, simple as that

The nice thing about overpaying though, is if you do ever get into a sticky wicket and need some funds, you can take a payment break and free up some funds quickly, its a win-win all round

Yeah we're fortunate in that we already do that and yes, as Nobby says too, it makes a massive difference.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:24 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Yeah it's changing the term is where I'm at, i.e. if I've done 10 years of a 25 year mortgage, but stay with the current provider, then sure the term hasn't changed. If I remortgage, I'd do so with a 15 year term so I've effectively got the same balance to repay over the same time period, I guess the point I was circling was assuming that resets the curve back to scratch, does that mean that all things being equal I'll be paying more interest, so I'd have to actually get more than a marginally better new interest rate to offset that . . .

I suspect in reality the difference is massive in the scheme of things, but like anything related to mortgages, tiny percentages can be significant sums of money if it's in cash and it's on the desk in front of you!

No, it will be a new 15 year loan whether you stay where you are or go somewhere else. It will be as if your 25 year term was still continuing so you are in eactly the same position on the curve of repayment if you are at the beginning of a 15 year term por 10 years into a 25 year term.

Incidentally, every time you make an overpayment you should tell them that you want to reduce the term and not reduce the payments you are making.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, what your looking at here is amortisation.

The loan, irrelevant of what it is or how much its for, will have its interest calculated in exactly the same way, over the lifetime of the agreement ( 2 year fix, 5 years, 10 years etc.).

What is being discussed here, is the fact that any lender, irrelevant of the product, will try to recoup the interest charged first, then begin to make inroads into the capital repayment.

You take out a mortgage at Year 1 of 25, your total debt it higher, as is the interest. Over a 5 year product, as much as the first 18 months repayments may be effectively interest.

On years 5 to 20 ( when you remortgage), you have less debt, so less interest, so the next provider picks up less risk, and charges less interest (As a notional sum, amongst other risk variables). He will also charge the interest first, then capital repayment second.

Long story short - interest is always charged upfront, but the amount of interest remains aligned to the prevailing interest rate, based upon the total debt owed.

I fixed 10 years at 2.09% in December ( 6 months before my current deal expired) ..... I wish I had also sorted my bloody fuel bills at the same time....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:54 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proportion of interest gets smaller as time goes on because you are paying off more and more of the capital.

Make it very simplistic. Say I had a loan of £100 at 10% annual interest and my payment was £20 a year.

In the first year I'd be paying £10 interest and £10 off the capital.

The following year I'd only be owing £90 so I'd be paying £9 interest and £11 off the capital.

Year 3 I owe £79 so £7.90 interest and £12.10 off the capital.

Year 4 is £66.90 so £6.69 interest and £13.31 off the capital

I decide to swap providers for year 5. I now owe £53.59 so any interest (depending on the deal I get) will be calculated based on that.

As you can see, the more you can pay off the capital, the quicker it will be payed off.

I've been overpaying mine to the point if I pay any more extra in just now I'll have to pay a fee. So I'm bunging the surplus into a savings account until my current deal is up. When the current deal is up, I'll throw the contents of that account into it then take out another deal.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:27 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interest charged in any given month is 1/12 of the % interest due on the balance due and is done in real time each month. Its that simple.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The interest charged in any given month is 1/12 of the % interest due on the balance due and is done in real time each month. Its that simple.

I haven't worked in the mortgage industry since 2008, but some of the products lenders at the time were offering had annual capitalisation, so regardless of what you paid off the capital in any year, it wasn't taken into consideration on the interest amount until the next repayment calculation cycle.

Bandits.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:00 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume they were subprime lenders and had people over a barrel.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crude mortgage chart ahoy.

Might need a bit of sodding around with but it'll give you an idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate enough to have paid off my mortgage some time ago now, but one bit of info I can pass on is that don't assume that just because you've been voluntarily been overpaying your mortgage payments each month that gives you carte blanche to take corresponding 'payment holidays' if times get tough. It might sound a no-brainer, but at least when I was last remortgaging about 20 years ago it was definitely a 'thing' - do check the T&Cs carefully before you start overpaying if you think there's a slightest chance you might ever want to take a payment holiday in the future.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to have paid off my mortgage some time ago now, but one bit of info I can pass on is that don't assume that just because you've been voluntarily been overpaying your mortgage payments each month that gives you carte blanche to take corresponding 'payment holidays' if times get tough.

Indeed.

One of the best ways to get around that is to have an offset mortgage. Best thing I did really. Can use it to make the monthly payments if needs be, but attracts no interest having it there. So I've got all my savings and the equity of the house ready to rock at minimal interest rates if I need a war chest. Admittedly it means my savings don't earn a lot, but then they wouldn't do particularly well elsewhere anyway.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:47 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stability of a fixed rate mortgage is also under-rated. I personally go for 5 year ones

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The stability of a fixed rate mortgage is also under-rated. I personally go for 5 year ones

Yup, my offset 5 year is just over 2% and an absolute godsend.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offset mortgage is pointless for me. If I have that level of savings I'd rather just reduce the balance I owe and pay a lower interest rate. A couple of grand (now we've bought the car we were supposed to buy a couple of years ago) doesn't really make a difference but no shits given cause 30 grand in 8 years time.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Offset mortgage is pointless for me. If I have that level of savings I'd rather just reduce the balance I owe and pay a lower interest rate.

The advantage is that, unlike just paying off a standard mortgage, you can access the money at any point and pull it back out again. You're paying no less or more interest either way, as the balance is offset on the 'savings' pot.

So, if the economy does happen to crash (you know, just on the off-chance Laughing ) and housing prices take a dip, I could by rights just decide to release all the equity I have in there and buy another property outright, with no product fee, and a guaranteed locked in low interest rate.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Trying to work out the fomulae to work out how much you have pay a each month on a given amount of mortgage payments for a given interest payment, at the exact midpoint of the mortgage term you shound be paying half interest and half payment off the balance.

So, prior to that you have paid 1/4 of the balance and 3/4 of the balance in the second half of the term.

So you can then work out the outstanding balance on the mortgage and thus the interest payment for that month.

Add those together and thats the monthly payment.

I'll have to knock out a spreadsheet in the morning to check.

Edit: The above is all bollocks.

Offset mortgages have a higher interest rate.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 10:53 - 27 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Offset mortgages have a higher interest rate.

Was comparable for me, and had a lower product fee. Other people's situations might differ, of course.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fascinating reading here, thanks everyone. Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 27 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here.... https://www.themoneycalculator.com/mortgages/calculators/mortgage-overpayment-calculator/#!/dealfinder/mortgages/

Put your balance, term and interest rate and it will show you the curve (remember to take off the overpayment, i.e. make it zero). I use it when trying to sort out mortgages or when considering a bigger one.

Also first post from me in about 8 years or something!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2