Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

am i BCFs biggest DIY cowboy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: am i BCFs biggest DIY cowboy? Reply with quote

today i made a 2nd attempt at carb balancing. after getting everything up and running, carbs 1 and 2 were out by a huge amount (due to my previous attempts).
on my bike you balance 1 and 2 carbs as a pair then the same with 3 and 4, the match the 2 pairs.
after spending about 20 minutes just trying to get a screwdriver onto the adjusting screw, i finally managed it and proceeded to back the screw off so much that it fell out!
tomorrow im going to have a real fun time trying to put it back in the carb Evil or Very Mad

is anyone else on here as useless as me, or am i alone in my misery?
what cockups have you made?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you are fine. I can’t take a nut off without wondering which way on it goes when putting it back.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:29 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! Not by a long way!
I used to think that mole-grips was an adjustable spanner Shocked Wink .
I’ve broken screwdrivers by using them as chisels Shocked
I repaired fairings with the plastic parts of an old window frame Shocked

I used to think Gaffa-tape and cable ties were a gift from God Smile

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to look at a friends 125 Kawasaki and check he'd replaced the brake pads correctly as the wheel was hard to turn.

When I looked he had somehow managed to get both pads on the same side of the disc.

I asked how he had changed them and he said he had removed the front wheel to do it, then put the wheel back on rather than remove the caliper.

He's a fully qualified and chartered civil engineer.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connected the battery terminals the wrong way round. Blew main fuse. Embarassed

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my KH250 (when they were worth peanuts) with a jubilee clip around the throttle, holding the throttle cable on because the end of the cable had broken off and I couldn't afford a new one. It stayed like that for many months. I won't mention how long I ran it for after the middle piston seized either !

I also managed to crack the top of a carb on an IL4 trying to get a seized bolt out. "yeah, I'll just stick a spanner on it and bash that with a hammer". I then took it to get it welded and the weld lasted about an hour before the crack re-appeared, it did however still run so I left that as well.

I could also mention the time I added some spot lights to one of my bikes, using a switch and only brown wire attached directly to the battery. No connectors, just wrap the bare wire around whatever it was being connected to and then lots of insulation tape.

Or the time a friend bought his AR80 to me as it was barely running, it turns out that the carb floats were split so we found a set that almost fit and bodged them on by wrapping a bit of wire around the pin to make up the difference in width (float height? What's float height?) and off he went

These were all some considerable time ago and I hope that I am a bit better now though Very Happy

Last edited by Blah blah on 12:22 - 31 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever spot-welded the front sprocket onto the output shaft? Then no, you're a long way from taking that title.
Come on BCF veterans, what have been the worst examples on this forum? Remind us, I could do with a laugh!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Have you ever spot-welded the front sprocket onto the output shaft? Then no, you're a long way from taking that title.
Come on BCF veterans, what have been the worst examples on this forum? Remind us, I could do with a laugh!

I doubt if anyone can better a good sprocket yarn. Laughing
How do feel about house wiring? Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Who did that? Laughing link maybe please? Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Fish fingers?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

That account had several aliases over the years - I never really quite believed it was genuine tbh. Regardless, it was always pretty funny.

Most enduring name of the account was Warped, iirc.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:14 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't Warped.

Warped did the shit geezer In the fish finger factory.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - true, and welding to a hundred thou

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the guy who welded his sprocket was the guy also who shat on someone's lawn at a bbq Thinking ... erm, I dunno, I was not there at either event Laughing
But is that the same guy as the one who likes to do fat old Essex hags up the poop shute in the back of his car ? Eh? Thinking

Last edited by hellkat on 22:47 - 31 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot think of a single incident in which I have fucked up doin some diy on the bike, because I almost never attempt shit like that.

Although on the couple of occasions that I have had to attend to such matters, it has come out surprisingly better than I had expected it to.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

He's had a lot of different names notable ones are bodyguard, jivebunny and milfhunter.

Well known for posting photos with strangely screwed up proportions, shitting in laybys and various other amusingly unsavoury activities most of which are complete fantasy.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
No, the guy who welded his sprocket was the guy also who shat on someone's lawn at a bbq Thinking ... erm, I dunno, I was not there at either event Laughing
But is that the same guy as the one who likes to do fat old Essex hags up the poop shute in the back of his car ? Eh? Thinking

The lawn shitter was someone different - the name escapes me for now. Covdude?

The second description is on the money though - although the claims are pure fantasy IMO. Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah lawn shitter was covdude - that was the '12 bcf bbq iirc

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Isn't that like 30% of people on here?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the rest

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've snapped more bolts than I can count, on the basis of "well it's not moving, but if I apply just a BIT more force.... oh it's snapped". Confused I'm getting better at drilling them out and cutting new threads though...

I am actively trying to be less of a bodger these days, mainly by taking more time and ordering the proper tools for the job where needed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:45 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/tECFFf7.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I can’t compete with that but I did once install front brake pads with the friction material facing the pistons. Only on the left calliper, I’m not a complete idiot… The ‘clack-clack’ sound as I pushed the resto out of the garage in what should have been a triumphal moment gave the game away.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the dude who lost the keys of his 125, found them again but - for reasons best known to himself - continued to dismantle his bike, leaving it on its side on the pavement (pissing oil out) from where it was towed? That one one of the best threads ever IMO.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 03 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Thankfully I can’t compete with that but I did once install front brake pads with the friction material facing the pistons. Only on the left calliper, I’m not a complete idiot… The ‘clack-clack’ sound as I pushed the resto out of the garage in what should have been a triumphal moment gave the game away.

I bet that rubbed you the wrong way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2