Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

whats wrong with my carbs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: whats wrong with my carbs? Reply with quote

trying to balance carbs.
1+2 and 3+4 are balanced as pairs, then the 2 pairs are balanced.
i backed the screw all the way out of 1+2 carbs trying to adjust them with a cheap gauge and finally managed to get the screw back in today, i superglued it to the screwdriver to get it started off!

the problem im having is the adjustment screw is having no effect on 1+2 carbs.
carb 1 is on the bottom of the scale(Morgan carbtune) and carb 2 is on the top. and turning the screw is having no affect.

what have i cocked up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nutty
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to gently "bottom" all the Pilot Screws and then bring them out 2 1/2 turns each and take it from there, that should be standard measurement, then carry on with the balancing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't have a leaky rubber or two? 8tll make it almost impossible to balance them.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Are you sure you don't have a leaky rubber or two? 8tll make it almost impossible to balance them.

That^^

Check for leaks.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the butterfly spindle is worn it'll leak air through the bushes but that will be obvious.

Have you done the vales and compression check? If one cylinder is low on compression or has tight valves it won't be firing as well as the next and if it's not firing as wll it will be producing less vacuum.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If the butterfly spindle is worn it'll leak air through the bushes but that will be obvious.

Have you done the vales and compression check? If one cylinder is low on compression or has tight valves it won't be firing as well as the next and if it's not firing as wll it will be producing less vacuum.

not done any of that Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i go about checking for air leaks?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 30 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
how do i go about checking for air leaks?

Get a mapp gas torch and turn the gas on low but not lit. Wave it around the carb inlets. If the engine note changes (increases, probably) then it's breathing in combustible gas. Obvously, keep away from any air intake.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ive isolated the problem. the butterfly valve on cylinder 1 is not closing fully. im able to push it down about 1mm when it should be fully seated Sad

does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? i cant see any obvious debris.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:41 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still a little free play onthe throttle cable or do you need to back it off a touch? Or back off the idle adjuster?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have just checked the cables and there is free play on both.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next step would be to pull the carbs and sort them on the bench. Get the carbs off, cables disconnected etc. Wedge up the four plungers (or if you're brave pull the tops and extract them). Hold all four up to the light and see if you can adjust them so that the crescent of light under each butterfly is equal.

If you're lucky all that's wrong is that you've got the adjusters too far out of whack. Set all of the balance screws to the tabs are dead centred between the two springs and go from there.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 31 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing the carbs from the bike is a scary thought, im worried ill do even more harm.

looking at the manual it seems quite involved. the coolant has to be drained before you can even start.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
removing the carbs from the bike is a scary thought, im worried ill do even more harm.

looking at the manual it seems quite involved. the coolant has to be drained before you can even start.

Access is usually quite tight hence the need to remove or move a lot of stuff. Be methodical, take loads of photos from many angles before you disassemble each sage and keep fasteners grouped together based on where they came from. Make notes if it helps.

It's not hard to do, it just needs a bit of care and attention. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:52 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thats scary don't ever try and reshim a genesis engine....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Then do your best with a torch and mirror or whatever. You need to find out what's holding that butterfly open.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite the bullet and do it properly. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Start from scratch. Carbs off the bike, valve clearances DO, renew any dodgy carb-to-engine rubbers (replace fuel line and any vacuum line at the same time, regardless of whether it's needed), then go through carbs and get them done. Valve shims first though.

1) Carbs clean and all passages that you can reach: clean.
2) Do you need to split carbs? Check by blowing down the fuel line tube while tilting it, for blockages (there will be resistance if there's dirt). If not, then leave it and don't split (more trouble than it's worth sometimes).
3) Float levels reset to factory spec.
4) Check jets and emulsion tubes are clean, especially pilot jets.
5) CV carbs: check diaphragms carefully, and replace where there are any tears.
6) Are your slides scored and are they sticking because of this? First things first: blast all your springs with carb cleaner, because return springs get clogged with dirt. After that, they should return smoothly. If not, then you MUST check if your main needle is bent. It should drop straight back into the main circuit. Is that OK? Then I (personally) don't have much of a problem with a dab of oil on the slides. See if that makes a difference. Beware though, that if it's wear in the throttle bodies (carb barrels) you will need new ones, or the problem will reappear in the winter.
7) Bench sync of carb bank.
8) Reinstall carb bank, get engine warm, then properly sync.

May take a bit of work but once it's done it's done. Just one of those things with bikes: a bodge/fix will do most of the time but not all the time. Sometimes you've got to go right through it. Good luck.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to do the valve clearances Bhud, but thats way beyond my capabilities Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:45 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
would love to do the valve clearances Bhud, but thats way beyond my capabilities Shocked

Erm.

He didn't mention valve clearances.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He didn't mention valve clearances.

Bhud wrote:
Start from scratch. Carbs off the bike, valve clearances DO, renew any dodgy carb-to-engine rubbers (replace fuel line and any vacuum line at the same time, regardless of whether it's needed), then go through carbs and get them done. Valve shims first though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

His fault for not adding it to his numerical list.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

You’ll surprise yourself. I have. Any job will take at least three times as long as you think it will, but do your research (forums, service manuals, parts microfiches), take photos of every little thing from different angles, make mental notes of the disassembly process and know it’s just a collection of bits bolted together in groups.

Having the right tools for the job helps, eg. Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) screwdrivers. Not all cross-heads are the same. Also a garage or roomy shed where you can abandon the job and come back to it after tea, or tomorrow.

The hardest part is the old connectors which won’t release, the corroded bolt/screw heads which round out, and the hardened rubber boots which won’t release and then wont accept the reinstallation. There’s always a way though. Also don’t over-tighten stuff. Lacking ‘feel’ I rely on torque wrenches.

It helps that I have two bikes so I can afford to take one off the road for an extended period and still ride. So get a second bike! Very Happy

I figure if it all goes wrong I’ll get my friendly local bike shop to pick the bike up and fix it, after all it’s already part-disassembled, but so far it hasn’t been necessary.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not need to drain the coolant so as to remove the carbs.

I found it easier to leave the throttle cables attached to the carbs.Just take the throttle apart at the handlebar and unthread the cables through the frame.You will thank me when you do this as the cables are a b'stard to reattach otherwise.

When removing the cam cover to check the valve clearances I found it a lot easier to drain the coolant so as to pull the radiator forward for better access to the cams,which need to be removed as and when the shims need to be changed.

The cost of doing shims on an engine like this will be upwards of £350-£500 if taking to a shop to be done.If you choose to go that route then remove as much of the bodywork as possible as you will be charged for this.

I have seen the post on the exup1000.co.uk forum Thumbs Up
I am on there as YAMAEXUP Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:52 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: whats wrong with my carbs? Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
trying to balance carbs.
1+2 and 3+4 are balanced as pairs, then the 2 pairs are balanced.
i backed the screw all the way out of 1+2 carbs trying to adjust them with a cheap gauge and finally managed to get the screw back in today, i superglued it to the screwdriver to get it started off!

the problem im having is the adjustment screw is having no effect on 1+2 carbs.
carb 1 is on the bottom of the scale(Morgan carbtune) and carb 2 is on the top. and turning the screw is having no affect.

what have i cocked up?

Just thinking more about this. I don't suppose there's a chance that you've lost the spring from under the tab that the balancing screw pushes on? Or perhaps it came out and you put it back in the wrong side of the tab?

If you look at this pic:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/EDQAAOSwRrFhcsS1/s-l1600.jpg

You see two springs. The tab goes between the end of the screw and the smaller spring on the right. If that spring on the right is missing or in wrong that might give you the effect you're seeing.

This first pic here shows it quite well:

https://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=672

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: whats wrong with my carbs? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Just thinking more about this. I don't suppose there's a chance that you've lost the spring from under the tab that the balancing screw pushes on? Or perhaps it came out and you put it back in the wrong side of the tab?

nope everything is present. i think im getting closer to the problem...

watching videos of people bench setting carbs last night, it seems that the idle adjuster (mine was backed all the way out)is used to adjust the butterfly on carb 2, then the adjuster screw is used to sync carb one to two. my adjuster screw is currently out of the bike so creating the gap in no1 butterfly i guess?

now im having the problem that when i put the adjuster screw back in
it wont go in far enough in to start making any adjustment, after a couple of turns it goes stiff Sad

the thread looks ok on the screw, but ive ordered a couple of m4 screws off the bay to see if they will screw in ok.

i really should learn to leave well enough alone!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2