Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorway riding..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Motorway riding.. Reply with quote

HI All

Had cause to ride up the M1/M6 recently for 200 odd miles and it was sheer misery.

Smart motorway messages saying obstacles/debris where there is nothing, closed lanes for no reason, reduced speed limits (which were catch people on those yellow SPECS cameras on the opposite carriageway, dared not exceed teh speed liit.. etc.. etc..

So what's the generally accepted strategy here..? Hit indicated 80 and sit there (like some I saw) or abide by all the rules and suffer a longer than necessary miserable ride..

My FZ750 has a flat post at 5K in top /70mph which made matters even worse as it burbled and stumbled.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strategy for motorways? Avoid wherever possible Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days? Follow the rules. That's why a lot of new bikes have cruise control now. I got flashed by speed cameras in the car twice a few weeks ago. I was just about over the limit but not by much and I think I got away with it on that basis. But it shows you how sensitive those SPECS cameras are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
These days? Follow the rules. That's why a lot of new bikes have cruise control now. I got flashed by speed cameras in the car twice a few weeks ago. I was just about over the limit but not by much and I think I got away with it on that basis. But it shows you how sensitive those SPECS cameras are.

Hmm, interesting, was that in a default 70 mph zone or reduced speed due to some 'incident'.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have not noticed a very dirty number plate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:02 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Hmm, interesting, was that in a default 70 mph zone or reduced speed due to some 'incident'.

It went from a 70 zone into a 40 and I got flashed at the interface between the two zones, either side of it, which may well be how I got away with it. The 40mph sign had just appeared, and I slowed at a sensible pace rather than stomping on the anchors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
A100man wrote:

It went from a 70 zone into a 40 and I got flashed at the interface between the two zones, either side of it, which may well be how I got away with it. The 40mph sign had just appeared, and I slowed at a sensible pace rather than stomping on the anchors.

Yeah, I'd guess that was it, there must be a time allowance after changing the limit to allow for deceleration.. the system is deeply flawed all the same and changes seemingly randomly and without purpose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:50 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the M6 in my van at the weekend and that smart motorway is fucking retarded. It was like a bastard car-park. There were three incidents with a stationary vehicle in an active lane. They closed two lanes for a good 5 miles on the approach to each one and had rolling reducing speed limits on the run up to those basically turning everything between Manchester and the M5 split into a stop-start fuckery.

From the look of them when I passed, they were all breakdowns which I'm nearly certain would have managed to limp/roll into the hard shoulder (or have been shoved in there by a helpful bystander) had there been one.

With regard to the bike. On smart motorway, you get an eye in for which towers have cameras and spend the whole time yo-yoing between whatever the sign says and 90mph. In average speed zones it's either comply or totally ignore depending which way the camera is facing.

Given the weekends performance however, being done for speeding isn't a thing on the M6 any more. I never made it up to the limits shown on the signs, never mind breaking it.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the M1 for 4 junctions every time I commute, half of it is 60 limit due to 'air quality' - but if I do 120 and spend half the time on that section I'd be polluting a lot less surely!
I'd be more annoyed if I was travelling in an electric car though Laughing .

But now they've introduced roadworks with a 50 limit and average cameras it's become proper miserable. And we all know how long roadworks go on for without anything actually happening or ever see anyone there!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

With regard to the bike. On smart motorway, you get an eye in for which towers have cameras and spend the whole time yo-yoing between whatever the sign says and 90mph. In average speed zones it's either comply or totally ignore depending which way the camera is facing.

Yep about what I figured, only I almost missed some of those yellow fuckers and sudden braking isn't what you need either. Got me thinking what they are actually set to on their (default) 70 mph limit .. 75 or 80 even? Lots of people passing make you wonder if they know better..

M6 Toll was a breath of fresh air but the rest a total shit-wank.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:54 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I On smart motorway, you get an eye in for which towers have cameras and spend the whole time yo-yoing between whatever the sign says and 90mph.

Thats what I did with the MWB transit I used to pick up no.1 son from uni...

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most motorways now "smart" of covered with enough cameras to be smart motorways without the official title, its not worth speeding. Stick some tunes on with headphones and just try not to fall asleep from boredom
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that static speed cameras are not allowed on motorways unless there is a non NSL in place. So unless there is a specific speed limit in force, the cameras are off.

Or they should be, but what the regs say and what actually happens are often two different things.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My understanding is that static speed cameras are not allowed on motorways unless there is a non NSL in place. So unless there is a specific speed limit in force, the cameras are off.

Or they should be, but what the regs say and what actually happens are often two different things.

I would say the static ones are "not speed cameras" but big brother is always watching and there is enough cameras on there that they can blatantly see people speeding.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

I would say the static ones are "not speed cameras" but big brother is always watching and there is enough cameras on there that they can blatantly see people speeding.

What can be seen and what is admissable as evidence are not necessarily the same thing. I've personally horsed down the M6/M5 in the past when there was no dynamic limit in force, blowing past all the cameras (with a long expired MOT as it later turned out) and heard nothing. But maybe I got lucky?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never risk the fixed cameras in the variable limit areas when there’s no speed limit shown on the signs. I doubt going to court and say ‘but the signs weren’t on so I caned it’ will hold up somehow if they decided to turn em on. Everywhere else I sit at 90 though, just make sure to keep an eye on every bridge as it comes into view for parked vans…

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I doubt going to court and say ‘but the signs weren’t on so I caned it’ will hold up somehow if they decided to turn em on.

However moving that home office regulations prohibit the use of fixed speed cameras on motorways where the national speed limit is in force and therefore any evidence gathered by such a camera was done so unlawfully and is inadmissable might. In much the same way as covert CCTV evidence gathered in a public place is usually inadmissable.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 09 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This probably accounts for all teh 'faux' warning of debris on the road etc. and the subsequent speed reductions Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I went on the M25 - walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that - horrible! And that was just going from Jct8 to 9 Sad

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:48 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Motorway riding.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
HI All

Smart motorway messages saying obstacles/debris where there is nothing, closed lanes for no reason, reduced speed limits (which were catch people on those yellow SPECS cameras on the opposite carriageway, dared not exceed teh speed liit.. etc.. etc..

Got a mate who works in the highways control room, he says when you get a vague message like "reports of obstruction" or "debris in road" or something like that, its because either the sensors have picked something up and/or a member of public has phoned something in, but its not covered by CCTV so they have to send an officer out to visually confirm whether its actually a problem or not. But they have to drop the speed limit just in case a bus full of kittens ploughs into someone whos stopped to piss on the hard shoulder or something.

Im just boring and obey the speed limit on smart motorways now because Ive been caught twice by the bastard gantry cameras and I need a clean licence for work, no more speeding til I can be offered a speed awareness course again.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

But now they've introduced roadworks with a 50 limit and average cameras it's become proper miserable. And we all know how long roadworks go on for without anything actually happening or ever see anyone there!

Had this on the M4 into London if I recall for about 4 yrs! It was 50mph average all the way in, to 'upgrade' them to a smart motorway....and now the govt's acknowledged the fucking things are flawed.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:41 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I can't really work out, but I expect you lot know -

On a smart motorway, say there are no variable signs displayed and it's NSL by default, are these enforced by average speed cameras or overhead ones that take a reading as you go under?

The stretch of M4 I use doesn't have any signs referring to average speed, and usually don't they have to say if it's average or not?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain parts of the M4 are my racetrack, certain parts aren't. Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

That's definitely not true. I know a good few people who have been flashed on the permanent motorway cameras.

The yellow 'smart' cameras that they situate on the left pylon are easy to spot around here - they have a pair of grey cameras on a pole about 100yds before them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2