BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NEXX Helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: NEXX Helmets Reply with quote

Anyone got a NEXX lid or opinions on them? I am thinking about buying this when it comes back into stock at the end of September:

https://nexx-helmets.com/en/helmets/x-wst2/

https://nexx-helmets.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/WST2_CARBONZERO2_RED_LATERAL-768x768.png

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an accomplished lid whore myself, looks smart, like the contrast and the visor looks sick but I can't see Pinlock posts.
I only have the one non pinlock lid and it only comes out on a scorcher. I suppose you can retro fit one...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, is more than I'd care to spend Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see if anyone responds positively, because I've been looking at NEXX retro style lids for a while and I don't know anyone that owns one and no shops near stock them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to spend that sort of money, i'd be looking at Ruroc lids, similar style, but way better selection of styles, and the latest Altas 4.0 is ECE22.06 approved (i believe the first to be certified to this level, though there now could be others)

I have an Altas 2.0 and i love it, carbon fibre, so nice and light, pinlock ready and comes with clear and tinted visor as standard

The 2.0 is a little noisey, but the 3.0 and 4.0 are supposed to be a marked inmporvement on each update

They are only available onlione, but they are currently offering free delivery and return, so nothing to lose

https://www.ruroc.com/media/catalog/product/s/h/shadow_sprite_front_3_4_right_tinted.jpg.jpg?optimize=high&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=900&width=900&canvas=900:900

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a LOT of bad reviews of Ruroc lids. Love how they look though.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Seen a LOT of bad reviews of Ruroc lids. Love how they look though.

Yeah, they got the styling spot on

From what i gather, they seem to be improving massively with each new release, hence why they are now up to 4.0 in only a few years producing motorcycle helmets (previously produced ski/snowborad helmets)

There are a few foibles though, the chin vent is only accessible from the inside, and there is no open/close vent at the top, they are open by default, and you have to fit bungs to close them (on the 2.0 at least, not sure about later releases)

I'm more than happy with my 2.0 for the sort of riding i do, i certainly wouldn't recommend it for touring though, it's just too noisey, and there is no drop down visor, but that makes for a pretty light helmet though

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:55 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nexx X.Wed 2 which I bought because I thought it looked cool as fuck and the peak would be great for touring as a little sun blocker. I probably wouldn't buy another Nexx helmet. I used it for a few months before relegating it to a pillion spare helmet and went back to HJC.

The Nexx helmet was very comfortable, Ill give it that for sure. But it had several flaws that I just couldnt live with as a daily helmet.

- the biggest one, it leaked in the rain. Rain would build up in the gutter where the visor meets the lid and start to trickle down the inside of the visor, and if it was particularly windy it'd be blown into your face

- aerodynamics, Ive never owned a helmet with a peak before, not sure if this is a problem with all of them but the helmet was basically unusable at motorway speeds due to the wind catching the peak and pulling your head up and back, constantly having to tuck under the screen to avoid this led to much achey back & neck on long rides

- very noisy, it claimed to be a quiet helmet, definitely wasn't. I use earplugs on long trips but dont bother if Im just pootling around town not exceeding 40, but it was noisy even at low speeds.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 10 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
As an accomplished lid whore myself, looks smart, like the contrast and the visor looks sick but I can't see Pinlock posts.
I only have the one non pinlock lid and it only comes out on a scorcher. I suppose you can retro fit one...

You got me scared, but the specification sheet states it supports pinlock:

https://nexx-helmets.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/FICHAS-TECNICAS_X.WST2_ENG.pdf

Tierbirdy wrote:
I probably wouldn't buy another Nexx helmet. I used it for a few months before relegating it to a pillion spare helmet and went back to HJC.

Yeah, I think your review has just killed this one for me Crying or Very sad

rpsmith79 wrote:
If you want to spend that sort of money, i'd be looking at Ruroc lids

I will have a look at Ruroc lids, in all honesty I never checked them out before.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got one of these, in the White/Blue.

I only used it for about a month, with the longest ride being about 2 hours, but I actually really liked it. It's light, really comfortable (I'm an XL) has an amazing field of view and IMO the best vents I've ever used. You open that chin vent and the air rushes in and vents nicely over your noggin. I use Alpine plugs and never really noticed it being particularly noisy. Mine also came with a pinlock.

Only reason I stopped using it was because it didn't really go well with the Blade I had at the time, and I still don't think it suits the bike I have now. I wouldn't pay that money for it though, think I paid £200 from SBS.

I'm currently using a Simpson Venom Sting Rae, with an iridium/rainbow visor and it looks fucking amazing in my opinion. It is noisy but as I wear plugs all the time it's no real issue to be honest.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ever turn up at custom lids or J&S end of season sale.. ie. under a onner I'll try one on .. but not at that price...

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I have the Nexx X.Wed 2 which I bought because I thought it looked cool as fuck and the peak would be great for touring as a little sun blocker. I probably wouldn't buy another Nexx helmet. I used it for a few months before relegating it to a pillion spare helmet and went back to HJC.

The Nexx helmet was very comfortable, Ill give it that for sure. But it had several flaws that I just couldnt live with as a daily helmet.

- the biggest one, it leaked in the rain. Rain would build up in the gutter where the visor meets the lid and start to trickle down the inside of the visor, and if it was particularly windy it'd be blown into your face

- aerodynamics, Ive never owned a helmet with a peak before, not sure if this is a problem with all of them but the helmet was basically unusable at motorway speeds due to the wind catching the peak and pulling your head up and back, constantly having to tuck under the screen to avoid this led to much achey back & neck on long rides

- very noisy, it claimed to be a quiet helmet, definitely wasn't. I use earplugs on long trips but dont bother if Im just pootling around town not exceeding 40, but it was noisy even at low speeds.

Interesting you say that. I've got the X.Wed2 in matte grey and I've had it for coming up to 3 years now. Easily the comfiest, quietest, nicest helmet I've ever owned. I've mostly had Arai, (old school) Bell, and HJC before.

I've got my Packtalk fitted to the X.Wed2, the speakers slotted in perfectly behind the ear pads, and I can easily hear the music at 90+ without worrying about my hearing and definitely nowhere near at full volume. I think I've experienced the visor leak once, but that was in a torrential downpour that I'm not even sure one of my Arai's would've coped in. I frequently recommend them to people, and I'm a big fan.

My only negative point is that the visor fitment mechanism feels a little flimsy with the two plastic twist on locks. I always feel like I'm going to break one.

I 100% would buy another Nexx helmet. I'm honestly not sure I'd buy anything else now!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which only goes to show it's horses for courses. What's sauce for the goose is whatever....... Laughing

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 25 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a XR1R I use as a track day lid.

Good points - very light, good field of vision, great fit, good ventilation.

Bad points - crap visor retaining system, very noisy, cant wear without earplugs.

Its good for what I use it for and I'd have another Nexx lid based on this one, not for the road though.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1