Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ukraine war and when Russia will collaps?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Imagine if we had a load of fast jets that could be serviced and launched from a mobile 20x20m pad errected by engineers in a couple of hours and effectively concealed under cam netting in wooded areas. With a highly flexible high and fast/low and slow attack profile, over the horizon engagement capability and thrust vectored dogfighting...

Harrier aside,...

Retired way too soon, I thought. Recapturing The Falklands would have been impossible without the Harrier/Sea Harrier, and we’ve managed with smaller, cheaper aircraft carriers because if it. It also looks much cooler than the F-35. This is important. Wink Thrust-vectored dogfighting would have required balls of steel (or desperation) to sacrifice speed though.

Google ‘Hushkit Harrier’ for some good stuff on that excellent aviation blog. On the A10 they have this -

https://hushkit.net/2021/10/16/flying-fighting-in-the-a-10-thunderbolt-ii-interview-with-combat-veteran-kim-campbell/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:11 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were at the end of their airframes life. Sold.for spares.to the us marines.

It couldn't take off vertically with any sort of reasonable weapon load.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The US have weapons to spare.

Ukraine is burning through ammunition faster than the US and NATO can produce it.

'On top of that, the US has a lot of work to do in rebuilding its own stockpiles, which the war in Ukraine has left dangerously low in the eyes of some experts.'

Sounds remarkably like what I said at the beginning. Anyway Nobby I'm not gonna waste anymore time on you, it really is same shit different day.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The US have weapons to spare.

Ukraine is burning through ammunition faster than the US and NATO can produce it.

'On top of that, the US has a lot of work to do in rebuilding its own stockpiles, which the war in Ukraine has left dangerously low in the eyes of some experts.'

It's strange that the US is running out of artillery shells in non-NATO calibres. Most of the artilery piece that Ukraine use are ex-soviet which use a different callibre from NATO standard.

None of this implies that US/UK and their allies couldn't start a war in a sandy place if they wanted to. Mordern western warfare works on the principle of hard, fast and decapitate the leadership.

Trying to get artillery pieces into place fast is next to impossible which is why, once again, western powers use air power rather than land based weaponry where possible.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
it really is same shit different day.

Pot, kettle.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Trying to get artillery pieces into place fast is next to impossible which is why, once again, western powers use air power rather than land based weaponry where possible.

I think the new kit (i.e. not the odd calibre stuff the CIA kept handy for no particular reason and definitely not to start a war somewhere and maintain plausible deniability, no sir!) Anyhoo, the new artillery should be relatively fast to get in and out relative to what the Russians have...

Ukraine’s New Swedish Howitzer Can Hit The Russians With Three Shells At A Time—And Drive Away Before The Salvo Lands

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:51 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Anyhoo, the new artillery should be relatively fast to get in and out relative to what the Russians have...

I didn't mean tactically, I meant strategically. If anyone doesn't know the difference it's time for them to withdraw from the conversation.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
. Anyway Nobby I'm not gonna waste anymore time on you, it really is same shit different day.

At some point someone will tell you where I work and you are gonna realise that I really do know what I'm talking about here.

FFS, I've left enough hints.

You'll have to be quick, though, because I'm being seconded out in a month.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If anyone doesn't know the difference it's time for them to withdraw from the conversation.

Because there's no chance of you explaining anything to the unenlightened. Educate us, thee that is the greatest of armchair generals Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactical is how you win a battle. Strategic is which battles you fight.

I'm more aligned with the air power than ground forces so General isn't appropriate.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm more aligned with the air power than ground forces so General isn't appropriate.

Tell that to the Russians, sailors on the front lines from what I hear.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:14 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Russian.

Sailors answer to an Admiral rather than a General btw.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you'd think that. The Russian front lines must be very confusing with regards to command structure Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:01 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what Chinas peace proposals were?

Maybe the Taiwan model? So Ukraine exists as a soverign state in every way possible but Russia gets to call it an autonamous zone. Everyone treats it as a soverign state but plays along with Russia by not actually referring to it as that. Russia and Ukraine errect giant loudspeakers at the border and harrangue one another through them.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia warns US is preparing to stage false flag chemical attacks in Ukraine to pin the blame on Moscow for the use of banned toxic agents, the chief of Russia’s Nuclear Biological and Chemical Defense troops, Igor Kirillov, has said.

Russia’s Defense Ministry has obtained information that a train with a cargo of chemical substances in one of its cars had apparently arrived in the Ukrainian-controlled city of Kramatorsk in Donbass on February 10, the commander said.

NATO has also planned a large delivery of means of chemical protection to Ukraine, including hundreds of antidotes for various toxic substances, Kirillov is also alleging.

“The facts of simultaneous delivery of toxic chemicals and means of protection against them indicate an attempt to carry out large-scale provocations using the BZ military-grade psychoactive chemical agent during the conflict,” he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_kNF-juGS8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because NATO has a long and storied history of using chemical weapons Rolling Eyes A good retort to all the "but! but! Putin has nukes!!!" and he has much, much worse stuff in his arsenal, why waste a nuke?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK gives all its ammunition away to Ukraine.

Britain’s ammunition stocks are at “dangerously low levels” amid support for Ukraine, the Defence Select Committee has warned.

Rebuilding the country’s stockpile could take at least a decade.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/03/07/dangerously-low-uk-ammunition-stocks-put-ukraines-resupply-risk/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be the javelin and like, not tank, artillery or small arms stuff. Also not the tomahawk or equivilent.

The Ukranians have very little weapons that use NATO standard calibres and so we aren't giving over all that sort of stuff.

The ten years thing is usual procurement based on usage for training and expected written off arms due to age.

We have UOR (Urgent Operational Requirements) processes if something is required urgently. This was introduced when the 'Snatch' landrover was found to be wholly ineffective in Afghanistan where IEDs were concerned and suitable replacement vehicles were designed and procured within a couple of years of the date that it was decided they were needed.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the purchasing of proxy states has begun.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-support-for-moldova-and-georgia-against-threat-on-their-doorstep-as-foreign-secretary-visits-region

Moldova and Georgia getting some graft from us to stay onside. We should keep track of this. Apparently Russia is busy shopping around so we better get our checkbook out.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:30 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-support-for-moldova-and-georgia-against-threat-on-their-doorstep-as-foreign-secretary-visits-region

Moldova and Georgia getting some graft from us to stay onside. We should keep track of this. Apparently Russia is busy shopping around so we better get our checkbook out.

Sovreignty is becoming inceasingly rare. I cant think of a single European country that can make its own decisions. Germany thought it could but has been put firmly in its place by its US masters.

If Russia were to pull out of Ukraine right now, Ukraine would still not be in control of its destiny. The US controlled World Bank and IMF now control the purse strings and have a 'very strong' say on policy going forward. Not that any of this is new - it is just how the debt-laden Western world is run now.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Do you think we should keep our beaks out of Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia…?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Do you think we should keep our beaks out of Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia…?

Part of me thinks we should but Putin and the FSB cult he is part of is a real threat to countries that even if they're not particularly liberal are largely free and democratic. I think we can win as well, just repeat the cold war tactic of our competing on economic terms. Russia is incredibly corrupt and that means desperately inefficient so very weak in the long game.

Plus, we have rock and roll.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Plus, we have rock and roll.

They have vodka and philosophy Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 18 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putin arrest warrant issued over war crime allegations

I do love a good laugh.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 18 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Putin arrest warrant issued over war crime allegations

I do love a good laugh.

Tony Blair?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 10 of 21