Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please help my friend with her dissertation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

nightshaddow
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:24 - 17 Aug 2022    Post subject: Please help my friend with her dissertation Reply with quote

Hope its ok to post here please delete if not

My friend is at uni doing her dissertation and has created a short servey(15 question) about using ai on the web

If anyone would mind filling it in would be a great help for her

Many thanks in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZxpOybbO1G5sxvjXz0SJm3Ty4ziQ3k_EfEH8vXLTAvdEWZg/viewform?usp=sf_link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 17 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Please help my friend with her dissertation Reply with quote

nightshaddow wrote:
Hope its ok to post here please delete if not

My friend is at uni doing her dissertation and has created a short servey(15 question) about using ai on the web

If anyone would mind filling it in would be a great help for her

Many thanks in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZxpOybbO1G5sxvjXz0SJm3Ty4ziQ3k_EfEH8vXLTAvdEWZg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Done. AI is a very interesting subject, I get peeved of with bots but get even more peeved off with humans.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done as well. Those online virtual assistant things are awful, I know they're there for people who don't bother searching for solutions first, but I've never come across one that even remotely helps.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:45 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filled in with useful answers. Mr. Green

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Filled in with useful answers. Mr. Green

Oh I'm sure they warrant 'insightful' Ste Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is from a UK university why is it written in American terms? For example, what's a High School?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:22 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If this is from a UK university why is it written in American terms?

It reflects on the quality of education provided by York Business School at York St John University and it shows that Dr. Alison Suthers isn't a good teacher.

I give them slight credit for using Google Forms rather than surveymonkey but it's still just another shit survey by someone who shouldn't be at university.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If this is from a UK university why is it written in American terms? For example, what's a High School?

In Scotland we have Nursery to Primary School to High School to University (or College).

College in Scotland is where people go when they weren't smart enough to go to University.

Ste wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
If this is from a UK university why is it written in American terms?

It reflects on the quality of education provided by York Business School at York St John University and it shows that Dr. Alison Suthers isn't a good teacher.

I give them slight credit for using Google Forms rather than surveymonkey but it's still just another shit survey by someone who shouldn't be at university.

It's mostly the fault of the scholar and not the Academic Supervisor. The Academic Supervisor (or Director of Studies) in a PhD is responsible for oversight and guidance only - not the actual content. The scholar would have had to design and specify their methodology for collecting and interpreting the data that will be gained (or expected to be gained) and the Academic Supervisor would have checked this part of it to see if there was theoretical or analysis issues.

The Academic Supervisor probably hasn't looked at the questionnaire form and they wouldn't be expected to.

The Academic Supervisor also doesn't "mark" PhD scholars' work as such. That is the job of the external examiners who interrogate it in detail as part of peer review and also at the PhD scholars' viva.

How do I know? I am in the final year (hopefully) of my own PhD.

University lecturers, Readers, Professors, etc are not there to teach the material at post-graduate level. Someone who is a post-graduate is not a student, they are a scholar and are expected to teach themselves at this stage. It's beyond Masters, it's novel work.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you supposed to know if you have ‘interacted with AI’?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

If you've ever used "chat bot", "virtual assistant" or any of the other names for the little pop up chat windows on websites or in apps (especially banking) then you've just used an AI.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:23 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it replies 'I'm sorry, I didn't understand that' to the simplist of enquiries.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought AI was how cows got knocked-up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI is what reprograms people to like Facebook Shocked

Surveys are a bad idea for collecting information. Only people interested in the topic of AI would bother with it so instant bias. About as useful as a YouGov poll "72% surveyed think the government's doing a great job with [insert topic]" Rolling Eyes

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:14 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Keithy wrote:

If you've ever used "chat bot", "virtual assistant" or any of the other names for the little pop up chat windows on websites or in apps (especially banking) then you've just used an AI.

But have you?

I have lots of vendors who use “AI” to describe what is basically code. We have one who has AI for receipt scanning. It’s sophisticated OCR but there is no way on earth it’s AI. 20,000 lines of code looking for trigger words and phrases is not AI. You could be interacting with an AI and not know, quite how you do know I don’t understand. Unless it tells you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed most of what people call AI is just code?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

But have you?

I have lots of vendors who use “AI” to describe what is basically code. We have one who has AI for receipt scanning. It’s sophisticated OCR but there is no way on earth it’s AI. 20,000 lines of code looking for trigger words and phrases is not AI. You could be interacting with an AI and not know, quite how you do know I don’t understand. Unless it tells you.

Isn't AI, all AI... just code? They are all 1's and 0's at the end of the day aren't they?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code is just code. The idea of AI is that is self-learning. A feedback loop allows the AI to learn from the responses and modify it’s own code accordingly. If every single time you ask a chatbot a question you get the same response then it’s not ‘learning’ anything, it’s just following the steps of the code.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1