Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sidestand interlock switches.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Aug 2022    Post subject: Sidestand interlock switches. Reply with quote

I was explaining to an elderly neighbour with a long and cool history of biking that I thought the R1 had a faulty safety switch, but later I wondered whether he understood. When did side-stand safety switches come into being?

Edit: changed title from ‘Safety switches’.

Last edited by Kawasaki Jimbo on 13:00 - 21 Aug 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 20 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPz 1100 had one in 1982

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 20 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, when did throttle position sensors come in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fuel injected bike will have a tps so that gives an indication
but it's also possible to have one on a carbed bike.
Well, kinda...
My scooty has one which sends a signal to the ignition controller
to advance the ignition when the throttle opens.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:51 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you use what (I think) is the correct terminology. I've never heard of it referred to as a safety switch, I think the actual name is 'sidestand interlock switch'.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:15 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Safety switches. Reply with quote

What MarJay says. Thumbs Up
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
a faulty safety switch

At that point I was expecting it to be about the kill switch rather than the sidestand switch.

You say you think it's faulty, what's it's doing or not doing?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Safety switches. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What MarJay says. Thumbs Up
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
a faulty safety switch

At that point I was expecting it to be about the kill switch rather than the sidestand switch.

My first thought was tipover sensor Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The engine stops as soon as first gear is engaged, side stand up or down. The neutral light works so the neutral switch must be ok. I’d only just replaced the throttle position sensor to solve a rough idle (totally cured so I don’t think this new issue is related) and I was cheesed off with the bike so I left it in the garage (it was too hot to work in there anyway) and rode the Kawasaki all summer. More than one neighbour has noticed the Yamaha hasn’t been out so I ought to fix it. Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo the sidestand switch is buggered then.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:37 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing some bikes that had a mechanical sidestand safety that retracted the stand with a cable when you pulled the clutch in.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 21 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC My K100RS had that feature

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I remember seeing some bikes that had a mechanical sidestand safety that retracted the stand with a cable when you pulled the clutch in.

Kawasakis

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Clutch switch is easier to change so I was hoping it was that. Do the symptoms described suggest it’s not that?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test dont guess
The side stand stand switch is either open or closed
on up/down operation
Stick meter on it

You can live without one or while waiting on a new one of course
you just need to know the expected state when up ( RUN)
and force that condition by either leaving it disconnected or
shorting the leads together with a wire link.

You wouldn't be the first

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall sticking a meter on the clutch switch which I thought was OK, and I did the same with a plug I thought went to the side stand switch but since the wire crosses the bike left to right via a wrapped loom I’m not sure I was looking at the right connector. I’ll start again.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Clutch switch is easier to change so I was hoping it was that. Do the symptoms described suggest it’s not that?

If it's cutting out when you drop it into gear, it's the sidestand switch. Idea being it'll let you run the engine with the stand down so you can warm the bike up etc, but it'll stop you riding off with the stand down.

If it was the clutch switch, chances are it wouldn't let you even start the bike (assuming you need to pull the clutch in to start it which is 99% of the reason for having them - you can start the bike in gear with the clutch in, but it won't let you start it in gear with the clutch out to save you from hoofing it down the road on the starter).

But as WD says, test, don't guess.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the diagram for an R1, there are two diodes in the fusebox, it would be well worth checking those diodes, there is also a relay too (safety relay?) but I think that should be fine if the bike actually starts OK.
In fact I think that relay will be killing the engine when you select gear, see if you can find out what is tripping it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the garage isn’t an oven and I’ve had my summer biking fun on the ZX6R I’ve returned to this problem with the R1 and found pretty severe corrosion on a relay under the seat (part number 5PW-81950-00, £120 new). The prongs on the relay cleaned up well but I’m worried that it got inside. The connector was harder to clean and I think it might still be a mess inside, then I spotted a “hatch” on the side. It looks like it ought to prise out it won’t come, instead it’s deforming. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

https://i.postimg.cc/ZK0j5M0c/369078-F3-0-E01-4127-A491-5210-E6-ACB24-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/QCYbqpY1/3-B264-E5-E-6176-47-E1-8392-ED5692-CB2-B3-B.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qqvwnmwp/93-C4478-B-517-A-40-B0-BDD1-FD702126-C104.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the way to de-pin those. Pretty sure each of the metal connections will have a little leaf-spring* trapping them in the plug. You can get special tools but you can usually get away with a needle to tease down the side, close the leaf spring and pull the wire out.

*A little finger of metal at an angle so you can get the connector into the plug easily but it won't pull out.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never had much luck with “de-pinning”. I expect there’s a knack to it but looking at the tight bundle of short, tiny wires emerging from the wrapped loom and into that connector I’d like to avoid it.

I’m wondering if the “hatch” was a device used in assembly which might therefore offer good access for a clean-up, so I’m gauging whether to use ultimate force on it.

I’ve read on some other forum that this relay has a role in the sidestand interlock and I’ve already observed that a new sidestand switch (plugged in but not installed) doesn’t solve the original problem. Neither does re-connecting the cleaned-as-far-as-possible relay and connector, so I can’t eliminate the possibility that corrosion has entered the sealed relay. I might have to buy a new one.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to “de-pin” the most corroded terminal which happens to be the most likely cause of the problem, but in doing so I’ve knackered it so I’ve had to identify the type (Sumimoto TS090 female), find a UK vendor and order above their minimum ordering level of a fiver. I ordered an excess plus some blade fuses.

The connector block is a ‘hybrid’ meaning it has different sized terminals (for no reason) so there seems to be no chance of getting a matching replacement. Poor engineering.

I had resorted to a Stanley knife, a flat screwdriver and thin-nosed pliers to cut, prise and tear that “hatch” away, which usefully exposed the metal terminals. It turns out that the offending terminal had snapped inside and it was never coming out without this new exit route. I sprayed another load of contact cleaner in and it all looked ok but the offending terminal had exposed wire and ultimately it broke off.

Disappointed to have to wait again for parts before getting it running properly, but I’ll get there.

https://i.postimg.cc/RFYfrL0p/9B319E9C-91F8-492A-85C8-245652BED114.png

https://i.postimg.cc/nzr7wPnQ/870D3994-BE4C-4C92-A475-796D87883565.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally the Haynes manual calls it a safety circuit.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:22 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Well, I managed to “de-pin” the most corroded terminal which happens to be the most likely cause of the problem, but in doing so I’ve knackered it so I’ve had to identify the type (Sumimoto TS090 female), find a UK vendor and order above their minimum ordering level of a fiver. I ordered an excess plus some blade fuses.

The connector block is a ‘hybrid’ meaning it has different sized terminals (for no reason) so there seems to be no chance of getting a matching replacement. Poor engineering.

I had resorted to a Stanley knife, a flat screwdriver and thin-nosed pliers to cut, prise and tear that “hatch” away, which usefully exposed the metal terminals. It turns out that the offending terminal had snapped inside and it was never coming out without this new exit route. I sprayed another load of contact cleaner in and it all looked ok but the offending terminal had exposed wire and ultimately it broke off.

Disappointed to have to wait again for parts before getting it running properly, but I’ll get there.

https://i.postimg.cc/RFYfrL0p/9B319E9C-91F8-492A-85C8-245652BED114.png

https://i.postimg.cc/nzr7wPnQ/870D3994-BE4C-4C92-A475-796D87883565.jpg

The good news is that you are tracking down problems and getting it sorted. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly these fairly crucial terminals were only crimped at the factory, not soldered. With that in mind I decided to do the same with the new Sumitomo TS90 replacement pin but that requires a correctly-matched crimp tool, not one of your common or garden crimpers which are typically for pre-sealed connectors of the type found in Halfords*. I’ve had to order a tool from Japan and they’re not cheap, but the job’s worth doing right.

*I rate much of Halfords’ stuff very highly these days but when it comes to electrical connectors it’s stuff you’d use on a car stereo, not stuff which might leave you stranded.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 18 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a crimping set from FleaBay with assorted jaws, something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353762355852

Does for most connectors I've come across.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2