Hi All

Need some new tyres for my MT09.

On my previous bike (CBR600) I had PR4s which I loved

Much difference between PR5s and PR6s?

Cheers

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you, as I haven't tried the PR6. I can only say that that the PR5 is a definite improvement over the PR3s I had on the VFR800 previously. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:01 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a PR6 on now. Couldn't say I've noticed much difference from the 4 or 5 yet but they claim the main difference is in increased grip on a more worn tyre.

The sype pattern on the front looks like it'll be more resistant to feathering.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 5's to the 6's on the GSX-S, and so far have about 2K miles on the set. They barely look like they're scrubbed in, so I'm hoping on some decent longevity from them.

Pretty much the exact same feeling wise, which worried me when I was deciding what to go for as I absolutely loved the 5's but there's no appreciable difference in the bike's handling. They stick like shit to a warm blanket in pretty much all conditions as well, absolutely fantastic in the wet.

As long as they make them, they'll be my tyre of choice from now on, until the 7's at least.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
I went from 5's to the 6's on the GSX-S, and so far have about 2K miles on the set. They barely look like they're scrubbed in, so I'm hoping on some decent longevity from them.

Pretty much the exact same feeling wise, which worried me when I was deciding what to go for as I absolutely loved the 5's but there's no appreciable difference in the bike's handling. They stick like shit to a warm blanket in pretty much all conditions as well, absolutely fantastic in the wet.

As long as they make them, they'll be my tyre of choice from now on, until the 7's at least.

I'll be in the market for some tyres soon, I think I'll be going for these for the commuting work on the ZX10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: PR5 vs PR6 Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Hi All

Cheers

Have PR5's on mine. 2 incidences of rear wheel slip in the dry and one in the wet so far. Wouldn't have them again.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: PR5 vs PR6 Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:
Hi All

Cheers

Have PR5's on mine. 2 incidences of rear wheel slip in the dry and one in the wet so far. Wouldn't have them again.

Hmmm... You sure it's not something weird like an oil leak, breather pipe routing or similar? I've got PR5's on my GSX-S and I can't get the traction control to trigger even when I'm exceedingly ham fisted in mode 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contaminants on the tyre, it's 3000 mile old 2016 bike, still looks pretty new and everything is where it should be
breather pipe wise. Tyres have done maybe 500 miles from new The incidence in the wet was going in straight line
and went into a proper fishtail that I somehow corrected, that said the tyres were low psi at the time as I was taking
the bike from storage unit to MOT but the bike hadn't been used in years. Once I got it home I correctly inflated
as per factory recommendations 36f/42r but they were about 22 psi each before I inflated them. Both incidences in
the dry I was tipped into a bend and giving it maybe 7/10 effort wise and got a little wibble, just enough to shit me
up, I've since adjusted to 36f/36r as per JHS racing recommendations and my suspension setup and haven't had a repeat
but I never had anything of the sort with the OEM tyres which were Bridgestone something or others. Got 2500 miles
out of those but they did grip well, never had a slip with them at all. My bike is an early gen 1 MT09 and doesn't have
any kind of TCS at all just ABS, (which is a little intrusive when getting right on the brakes) My first bike had neither
(deliberately) so I could learn just how much I could brake if necessary and calibrate my butt dyno to big bike handling.
I suppose it could be down to pressures, it's a light, very torquey bike and I'm no heavyweight, probably 260kg total
bike and rider. But I have to say is I've had enough wobbles to not trust them 100%.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh about 10 stone. I have a 150bhp 1000cc bike with 75ft lb and never had any kind of problem on stock 25,000 mile suspension... Maybe your rear shock setup is wrong?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only preload adjustable, JHS did some very basic settings based on my weight etc not long after I bought it.
It's fair to say I was a couple of stone heavier back then, all moot points anyway since my brand new MT10 is due
next month, I'll be off to JHS again for another full setup this time round as it has 'proper' fully adjustable
suspension and some supposedly superb Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport B22 fitted as stock, I doubt I'll be getting
many more miles in on the outgoing bike now. Dont really want to bin my part ex. Shocked

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PR5s on mine, had a new rear fitted right after the dyno (176bhp at the wheel) and then had to ride 40+ miles home in a fucking monsoon, tyre was perfecto. I've since been on the usual hoon, hundred odd miles and perfecto again.

Old tyre maybe, gone off?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it can only be so old, given they are the last generation to the current tyre. It went on the bike in 2019 did a few
hundred miles on it and then the bike went away for three years. I suspect it's more suspension related, gen 1 MT09's
are renowned for their shite suspension. It's the main reason for why I'm changing bikes actually, I've never had decent suspension
on a bike before.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different bike (Street Triple) and different tyre (PR3) but when I softened the damping on the rear too much, I had the traction break a couple of times coming out of a corner in the dry. Definitely scary, but a couple of clicks more damping resolved it. No idea if that's possible on the MT09 though, and if you haven't messed with it Thinking

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got PR5s on my VFR800X and other than a click here and there on the rear preload, haven't touched the suspension. Had one or two occasions of breaking rear traction in the wet in a straight line (but it's hard to tell if it's that or the front trying to lift off the ground as the TCS deals with both and catches wheelies before they become noticeable) but never in the dry and I've been tipped right over and fed throttle in and it's never let go. I did chat with a guy with a 1290 SuperDuke and he mentioned something about briefly breaking traction on full lean, but that's a properly powerful and punchy bike so I can't help but wonder if too much throttle and too much lean is just too much physics for the tyre to deal with.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found the limits on PR4s, despite grinding the pegs, so can't imagine how anything could be better for me personally. I'd stick ( Smile ) with those, since they'll be considerably cheaper than later models I imagine.
Unless the new ones last much longer of course.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
t went on the bike in 2019 did a few
hundred miles on it and then the bike went away for three years.

It's likely that unless the bike was stored with the tyres off the ground, on paddock stands for example that the carcass of the tyre had been warped and flat spotted which wouldn't be visually obvious and even less so once re-inflated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1