Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weather impact on motorbiking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Does weather play a big role in your driving frequency?
Yes, I drive less in extreme heat
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I drive less in rain
41%
 41%  [ 15 ]
No, I driver no matter the weather
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 36

BikerResearch...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:42 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Weather impact on motorbiking Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Some friends and I are thinking about buying a motorcycle but with the latest trends of higher temperature, we are hesitating a bit. This summer it was so hot, I wasn't sure if biking would have been enjoyable in those days..

That's why I wanted to ask your opinion: does weather play a big role in your driving frequency? Yes, are you impacted by extreme heat? Or more the rain?

Thanks for helping me out! Very Happy

Also very interested in your insights!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a car so yes i can afford to be choosy.
its much nicer being sat in an air conditioned cabin in the heat that on a bike decked out in protective gear, especially if i decide to stop and go for a walk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely a fair weather biker here, and no shame Very Happy I've done my time as an all year round biker when it was the only mode of transport I could afford and it was fucking shit. It killed my love for biking. Anyone who spouts any nonsense about how biking when its pissing down or getting up to a frozen saddle in sub zero winter temperatures "makes you feel more alive" or proves your well 'ard or something along those lines is just lying Razz It doesn't matter how good your kit is, sooner or later the cold & wet will get in through nooks and crannies with wind blast helping it find its way.

As for "extreme heat" depends on the trip, done a few long blasts along the Mediterranean coast of France and Italy in 30C+ weather and its glorious. Thoroughly enjoyed squidding through Monaco in shorts & T-shirt like the locals. But if its a 10 min trip into town its a bit unpleasant to be sweating your nuts off in stop start traffic, as long as you can keep moving its ok.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most motorbikes have built-in air conditioning. It's operated from the right side of the handlebars and you just twist to increase air flow Smile

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black helmets, black jackets and trousers are not the sort of thing to be wearing in hot sunny conditions.
Adopt the light colour ( white is best, obviously) for the lid, stops ya head overheating, and there’s plenty of light grey jackets available
(Revit), and trousers ( Trillobyte), has a huge effect on the overall heat your body absorbs.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:36 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding, not driving.

For me it’s recreational, so I choose when to got out. 40 degrees and no, I won’t bother. Ditto snow/heavy rain/freezing.

Not really seeing the point of the question. Do you have break-even number of days that makes it worth investing in a lessons/licence/kit?

You only have to wear a helmet by law so if it’s hot and you are that way inclined you can ride in flip flops and a thong if you think you ain’t getting your money’s worth.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Weather impact on motorbiking Reply with quote

BikerResearcher wrote:
That's why I wanted to ask your opinion: does weather play a big role in your driving frequency? Yes, are you impacted by extreme heat? Or more the rain?

So if I were to ride less in both extreme heat and in heavy rain, how do I answer the questionnaire then?

Supplementary question: why is it that 90% of the questionnaires I see online are designed so that they are ambiguous or don't cover all bases?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:43 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ride any time unless it's raining or snowing, but I used to ride in the wet all the time when the bike was my only transport.

However, I take 'drive' to mean a car, so I'll drive a car in all weathers. So your poll is misleading.

Last edited by MarJay on 20:46 - 26 Aug 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather plays literally no part in how often I drive.

Riding however....

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a counter question? Is there any link between extremes of weather and the frequency of bloody stupid sodding polls on forums?

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not been hot enough in my riding time (2006 onwards) to be too hot to ride, ever.

Might be different in traffic in London, but up here with the countryside as my playground, it’s not been an issue.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:48 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

get that motorbike man, you have easily 6 to 8 months where the weather isn't that extreme unless you waiting the perfect weather (which doesn't exist)

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 26 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autumn has always been my preferred season of the year for riding. However, until this year, I've generally ridden several times a week right through summer. This year, I took my longest break so far from riding, because the heat just did me in. I know you get a breeze on you, and it's not the end of the world, but nevertheless I felt it disincentivised me. The heat made me generally irritable and I just looked forward to the evenings. When evening arrived, I preferred cycling just because I didn't want to put on a helmet. I actually did a lot of cycling and got a lot fitter, but I would say that overall I'm not as happy as I would have been if I'd been riding a motorbike for fun, instead. I am looking forward to much cooler weather and the return of some rain. I've got good rainy weather gear. I want to hear the rain, smell it and feel it. I want to see the prism effect of car lights and traffic lights through the visor again. I want the scrunch of wet gravel in the car park.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK even the blesséd south probably only has a week or so when might be bordering on too hot to go anywhere if you didn't have too.
Even then the actual travelling is not much of an issue just keep hydrated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time hot weather proved to be too much for me on a bike was a European tour down through Spain, Pyrenees, across France and up through the French Alps. I had planned to go a lot further, but after a bit over two weeks, even in the Alps the heatwave hadn't subsided and my last hotel room had no air conditioning. That's what finally finished me. After a sleepless night, I couldn't wait to get moving on the bike again, rode nearly 1000 miles home in one hit with the intention of sleeping for a month Laughing
Up until that last night, I'd been coping pretty well with the heat and was having a great time.
We don't get long enough periods of such hot weather here in the UK to let it put you off biking.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
Can I ask a counter question? Is there any link between extremes of weather and the frequency of bloody stupid sodding polls on forums?

You forgot to add voting buttons... Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Weather impact on motorbiking Reply with quote

BikerResearcher wrote:
This summer it was so hot, I wasn't sure if biking would have been enjoyable in those days..

I’ve ridden every day and it’s been brilliant, especially as the relative humidity was unusually low and prolonged. That’s more important than the heat in terms of comfort, I reckon.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you soft cunts need to ride more Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 28 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I think you soft cunts need to ride more Wink

If you pay for it, I'll ride every single day Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain = If only there was a product to enable safe riding

Sun = Blast laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Rain = If only there was a product to enable safe riding

I've constantly been wondering when such an innovation would come around. I don't know what form it could possibly take but perhaps something mounted on the helmet ... maybe it could displace the water away through friction somehow ... it would certainly need a catchy name too ... a name that could capture both the problem and tie it to a friendly term to endear it to people more.

I am stumped Laughing

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:20 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not snowing or sheet ice then I ride year round. Which bike I choose may be a deciding factor however - a CBF500 is much cheaper to rebuild if dropped than a VFR.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Riding, not driving.

so f***ing this

sweet mother of yahweh, edit that sh1t OP, you absolute numpty

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1