Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Energy cost, Fix or flexible tarrif?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Energy cost, Fix or flexible tarrif? Reply with quote

I received my offer to renew with my current energy supplier. To fix now will be double what I now pay or I can go onto a flexible tarrif, which may go up but also a year is a long time and the government might pull its finget out and gas prices might return to normal in the coming year. What's the BCFers strategic view?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:05 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it's a coin toss. The odds are we're all bing to be royallly arseraped regardless.

I'm inclined to go fixed. We've not reached the summit of the price rises yet.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im inclined to agree. Last year at this time I hesitated to fix (the actual renewal is at the end of October) and ended up on a higher tarrif. Also thinking of ways of halving my energy usage, which is easy to consider when its warm but might be harder when winter comes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fixed price tariff is the only way to go.

The fact that there are less and less fixed price tariffs available gives a big indication of things to come.

Lets be honest, energy prices aren't going to go down over the next year or two.

Nobby are you on a fixed price tariff or are you on a standard variable tariff?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A fixed price tariff is the only way to go.

Not so sure, personally. The only fixed tariffs I've seen have been absolutely huge, and I'm labouring under the (possibly vain?) hope that come the autumn, when there will be massive civil unrest brewing, the government will finally be forced into pulling out its collective finger and actually do something about it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:04 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, Mrs Bastard took it on herself to deal with the energy needs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Not so sure, personally. The only fixed tariffs I've seen have been absolutely huge, and I'm labouring under the (possibly vain?) hope that come the autumn, when there will be massive civil unrest brewing, the government will finally be forced into pulling out its collective finger and actually do something about it.

I'm not sure what *can* be done. We're all getting a few hundred quid energy grant or whatever it is, and the wholesale price of energy is increasing. The only thing we can do is accelerate our move to renewable energy (which we should have done as soon as the Russia stuff started). The government doesn't have control over market prices outside of the UK and so the only thing they can do is subsidise it with taxpayer money. Either way we're paying for it out of our own pocket.

All the papers are saying "Do something!" but nobody is really offering any ideas as to what that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The only thing we can do is accelerate our move to renewable energy

Ah, you've solved the energy storage problems! That's great news Smile
How did you do it in the end?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:41 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Enough types of renewables? Not an issue. We can't magic up more gas.

Or we need environmentalists to lay off and it's out with the old and in with the nuclear.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

All the papers are saying "Do something!" but nobody is really offering any ideas as to what that is.

Simple. Get fracking. Mine coal as an emergency stop gap. It's not like we'll add a significant amount of pollution compared to that which China, India etc are pumping out, and it need only be for a few years.
Then we get to building our nuclear power provision in the meantime. The sooner we get going...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Enough types of renewables? Not an issue.

Can you give a bit more depth on that?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:53 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

When the wind isn't going, we've got tidal. We've got solar, we've got wave power, we've got dams. Nuclear seems to be the most reliable, but as I said we need to get the nuclear stick out of the backsides of environmentalists. Either we live with a small amount of radiation and cut CO2 or we don't.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

When the wind isn't going, we've got tidal. We've got solar, we've got wave power, we've got dams.

I'm a little confused. If we've already got all that, why don't we switch it all on, as it were?
I mean, if renewables are not an issue, why do they appear to be an issue?
No one is against them if they are actually viable. And if they were, we'd already be most of the way to 100% renewable usage wouldn't we? What's the hold-up?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to suck up stuff like having wave power machines in the ocean, having wind generators on hills and in the sea. We need to build a few dams, build a tidal generator in the Severn and Thames estuaries. It all takes money and time and there are powerful lobbies out there for coal, gas etc which don't want that. There are also NIMBY types who don't like wind power as it 'kills the birds' (it doesn't) and ruins the views from their golf courses. We have the ability to go 100% renewable but it needs more of an impetus from government and breaking of the reluctance of NIMBYS and anti nuclear people.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it can be shown that all this renewable stuff is indeed viable (and tbh, I'm yet to be convinced that it is - the distant future is a separate issue and we can't know now what will be learned), then the gas and oil industries can go stuff themselves. But there are a million problems to be solved (and I NEVER exaggerate!), and as you say, it cannot be done overnight. Meanwhile, if everything falls apart because we failed to deal with the short term, then none of it is going to happen, not that it'll matter cos there'll be no working economies left to power.

I want to see a practical strategy on renewables, not airy-fairy pie-in-the-sky dreaming.
And I think we are still going to have to come up with serious energy storage solutions.

And personally, I'd be happy if I never had to lay eyes on a golf course again Laughing

Meanwhile, we do as I have laid out for you (no, that's ok, no need to thank me Laughing ).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:09 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the severn tidal lagoons are built there would be a perfect base load renewable source of power.

Aside from the periods of slack water....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the severn tidal lagoons are built there would be a perfect base load renewable source of power.

Aside from the periods of slack water....

Prove it. And what do you mean by "perfect"?
And if that is the case, why isn't it being done/built right now?

Come on people, less bold statements from people with no relevant experience, and more real-world, this-actually-has-been-proven...well, reality, please Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Err.... it is?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/50064/1._Feasibility_Study_Conclusions_and_Summary_Report_-_15_Oct.pdf

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

There's one renewable that's rarely mentioned and that could solve many problems - geothermal. There are some interesting developments in test that might just solve some of the drilling issues. One to watch.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm a little confused. If we've already got all that, why don't we switch it all on, as it were?
I mean, if renewables are not an issue, why do they appear to be an issue?
No one is against them if they are actually viable. And if they were, we'd already be most of the way to 100% renewable usage wouldn't we? What's the hold-up?

It is switched on. There just needs to be more of it. We should be investing in thorium salt reactor research as well - they're much safer than AGR reactors. Plus of course, geothermal.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is geothermal applicable in the UK?
Nevertheless, we need short term solutions as a matter of urgency. Once again, I have given you those, you're welcome Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nevertheless, we need short term solutions as a matter of urgency. Once again, I have given you those, you're welcome Laughing

Geothermal is applicable anywhere on the planet with an appropriate borehole. Smile

Short term solutions? Build more nuclear to maintain the baseload.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:44 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Anywhere that has thermal baths (Bath is an example) have close to geothermal at the surface, let alone going to the trouble odrilling a borehole to get down to the heat.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Err.... it is?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/50064/1._Feasibility_Study_Conclusions_and_Summary_Report_-_15_Oct.pdf

Quote:
Progress since public consultation
Since mid 2009, the feasibility study has completed a number of studies to consider what the costs, impacts and risks of a Severn tidal power scheme would be. This includes a strategic consideration of:
• how to build a Severn tidal power scheme;
• the commercial risks associated with building and operating a Severn tidal power
scheme;
• how a Severn tidal power scheme would change the estuary, and what effect this
would have on the people, economy and wildlife of the surrounding areas; and
• how negative impacts on the natural environment could be reduced or mitigated,
including provision of compensatory environmental measures.

So no, it isn't being built right now.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 27 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Anywhere that has thermal baths (Bath is an example) have close to geothermal at the surface, let alone going to the trouble odrilling a borehole to get down to the heat.

I'll keep an eye out for feasibility studies.
Importantly, I have given you the essential short term solutions though - really, no trouble Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3