Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:47 - 31 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expectation is to get three crops from a bypassed meter. Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Round my way you'd focus more on the reasons, mostly pot farms in my experience. Although the Venn Diagram of "Cannabis Cultivators" and "East Europeans" probably has a fair overlap Smile

tends to be Vietnamese farming the stuff round my way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on a quiz show that we're the 3rd greenest country in the world (after Denmark I think, and somewhere or other, probably Norway).

How about we cash in our chips for a while, go back to cheap energy production through coal and pump some sh1t out into the atmosphere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
It was on a quiz show that we're the 3rd greenest country in the world (after Denmark I think, and somewhere or other, probably Norway).

How about we cash in our chips for a while, go back to cheap energy production through coal and pump some sh1t out into the atmosphere.

How about we don't.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

There's one renewable that's rarely mentioned and that could solve many problems - geothermal. There are some interesting developments in test that might just solve some of the drilling issues. One to watch.

There would be so many objections if fracking was involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Islander wrote:

There's one renewable that's rarely mentioned and that could solve many problems - geothermal. There are some interesting developments in test that might just solve some of the drilling issues. One to watch.

Eh? They're two entirely different things.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what Two-Short-Plans-Truss' plans are, but there are rumours about her fixing the energy tariffs. If this comes to pass (although it'll cost the govt a fortune), those who have just opted for a fixed might now potentially be worse off?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
doggone wrote:

"Big Oil" (or whoever it is that funds pop-up Karen protests, probably Putin) can easily conflate geothermal bores with fracking. Wilful ignorance is one of those uniquely human traits Sad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
No idea what Two-Short-Plans-Truss' plans are, but there are rumours about her fixing the energy tariffs. If this comes to pass (although it'll cost the govt a fortune), those who have just opted for a fixed might now potentially be worse off?

That's a worry for sure. A bigger issue is how long are the wholesale gas prices going to stay high for? What if wholesale gas supply is still restricted in a years time? Im just glad i made the decision to get back into full time work. What im pissed off about is my plan for a new bike next year has been blown out of the water.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

"Big Oil" (or whoever it is that funds pop-up Karen protests, probably Putin) can easily conflate geothermal bores with fracking. Wilful ignorance is one of those uniquely human traits Sad

Only in the wildest fantasies your fevered imagination can cook up. You can't conflate the two.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing mocking references to energy-efficient kettles. What’s that all about? Has Truss said something?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I keep seeing mocking references to energy-efficient kettles. What’s that all about? Has Truss said something?

She washes her punties in one.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Boris, buy an efficient kettle save 10 quid a year.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was about investing in nuclear power.

"How many new nuclear power stations have we built in the 27 years since?
How many have been connected to the grid?
How many slices of bread could we toast with the additional nuclear power we have created?
How many washing machines could we power?
How many families have been helped with extra nuclear energy?

The answer is, none, zero, zilch

The French, they have loads of nuclear power stations already, they’ve built four more since 1995– bringing their total reactor fleet up to about 56, the Indians have added about 12 and the Chinese have built more than 50 additional nuclear reactions since 1995!

And you know why we have failed? It’s not even as though we have some cultural aversion to nuclear power, I just met those nice protestors outside – it wasn’t some atomkraft nein danke – they seem to be objecting to the disruption to the roads, it’s pure nimbyism out there.

I will diagnose the problem. It’s called myopia. It’s called short-termism.

It’s a chronic case of politicians not being able to see beyond the political cycle.

Tell that to British businesses and industries that are desperately short of affordable and reliable electricity. Tell that to the families struggling with the cost of heat and light this winter

It is because of that kind of myopia that here in the country that first split the atom we have only 15 per cent of our electricity from nuclear – and it is falling.

Whereas in France it is at 70 per cent and we ask ourselves why France is more self reliant than we are when it comes to energy why they have found it relatively easier to hold down their costs and yes nuclear always looks – when you begin, it always looks relatively expensive to build and to run but look at what is happening today, look at the results of Putin’s war.

It is certainly cheap by comparison with hydrocarbons today in fact if Hinkley Point C were already running already this year, it’s been delayed for ages and ages of course, it would be cutting fuel bills by £3 bn.

I’ll say that again – if Hinkley Point C were running now, it would be cutting fuel bills by £3 bn.

So you have to look ahead. And you have to beware of the false economy.

If you have an old kettle that takes ages to boil, it may cost you £20 to replace it. But if you get a new one you will save ten pounds a year every year on your electricity bill.

I remember when the government finally did the deal on Hinkley C– in fact by then I was already sitting in the cabinet and I remember some people protesting that the strike price of £92.50 per kilowatt hour was very, very expensiveit doesn’t look so expensive today.

That is why we must pull our national finger out and get on with Sizewell C"

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Only in the wildest fantasies your fevered imagination can cook up. You can't conflate the two.

Trust me, Cornwall is a great place for "hot rocks" geothermal energy (half the granite would technically be classified grade 2 nuclear waste and Radon detectors are commonplace) but also a great place to find stupidity Sad (Bear in mind they started in the '70s and it's taken >40 years for planning permission from the council!)

What are you disputing here? That people aren't that dumb?! Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

Trust me, Cornwall is a great place for "hot rocks" geothermal energy (half the granite would technically be classified grade 2 nuclear waste and Radon detectors are commonplace) but also a great place to find stupidity Sad (Bear in mind they started in the '70s and it's taken >40 years for planning permission from the council!)

What are you disputing here? That people aren't that dumb?! Laughing

I'm stating that the licensing authority will know the difference between a geothermal borehole and a fracking borehole.

I know about the Cornubian batholith - it's not really relevant to the argument.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm stating that the licensing authority will know the difference between a geothermal borehole and a fracking borehole.

I know about the Cornubian batholith - it's not really relevant to the argument.

Of course they would know but they aren't the one's writing angry letters to the local council blathering on about some drilling-related earth tremor* toppling their favourite china plate of the Queen Mother (invoice attached.)

The point about the geology is that surely Cornwall was in a position to "save" the country (with regards to energy self-sufficiency) not to mention all the jobs but no, fuck that shit, not in my back yard. Back in the '70s (and '80s, '90s... well pretty much till now) it was very easy to agitate an ignorant populous and maintain the status quo.

And really? It's not much better now. Take a look at the satellite maps and check out all the solar farms! In Cornwall of all places Rolling Eyes One wonders how the human race has survived so long.

*Most likely just a big lorry that took a wrong turn through the village.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 07 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The point about the geology is that surely Cornwall was in a position to "save" the country (with regards to energy self-sufficiency) not to mention all the jobs but no, fuck that shit, not in my back yard. Back in the '70s (and '80s, '90s... well pretty much till now) it was very easy to agitate an ignorant populous and maintain the status quo.

And really? It's not much better now. Take a look at the satellite maps and check out all the solar farms! In Cornwall of all places Rolling Eyes One wonders how the human race has survived so long.

*Most likely just a big lorry that took a wrong turn through the village.

Geothermal would work anywhere with sufficient depth although some geological features like massive batholiths can have a slightly higher thermal gradient. The key to making the technology work is reducing the time taken to drill really deep boreholes. They're massively expensive at the moment because they take so long to drill. There are some interesting developments that may well make deep drilling more cost effective though. There's a lot of free energy to be had if the cost hurdles can be overcome.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fracking is back...nobody knows how much is down there ..could be 14months worth (80 bcm) or maybe 10yrs worth.

It'll take a couple of years to get into full production and then it can be sold for the best price.

Funnily enough it won't necessarily lead to energy security or lower uk prices but could be worth many hundreds of billions to those that would like just a little bit more wonga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:53 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The energy companies are essentially war profiteers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
The energy companies are essentially war profiteers.

If governments didn't go to war, there wouldn't be these profits. Many ways to look at it but blaming the companies for the failings of the system isn't really valid.

If you were selling something in demand for X and someone came along and offered you 2X for it, you'd bite their hand off. That's what's happening here.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 08 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If governments didn't go to war, there wouldn't be these profits. Many ways to look at it but blaming the companies for the failings of the system isn't really valid.

If you were selling something in demand for X and someone came along and offered you 2X for it, you'd bite their hand off. That's what's happening here.

Im not blaming the gas producers for the market price but for a government not to step in when theres a state of war, when a foreign power is using economic means to attack us and do the British people harm is an appaling traitorous act. The first duty of government is to protect the people, instead Truss protects the windfall profits of corporate business. Those profits are as a result of war they should be diverted into our defence against the harm Putin's actions cause. £175Bn at last count. That pays a lot if energy bills which in turn frees up people to spend their money directly in the economy and that keeps our economy bouyant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3