Brand substitutes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And there's me thinking that it's because I'm a cock is the reason she stays....

FTFY Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only 1 sweet chilli sauce, Linghams.

Has anyone found a diet cola that tastes like Diet CocoCola. All the ones I'vre tried make the rum tase shite.

Oh, and Tescos own brand spiced rum is cheap and crap.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
I gave up on Heinz baked beans years ago. For whatever reason they just got bland, or perhaps my taste changed.

Googling ''Branston beans'', they do sell them in the Czech republic. I might give them a go. They ask £1,05 for a 410g can. Heinz's 415g can of baked beans goes for £2,35 at my local Tesco's. Thinking

Good grief, those prices are ridiculous! Are they generally representative of food prices in the CR?

Ever since the Russian special crap started and then the oil crisis, natural gas crisis, electricity crisis, grain crisis... the food prices went up by about 20%.

The political changes in my country don't help either. I don't follow politics, never cared much about who was in charge, but the current events are rather worrying to many people. Imagine you take experienced people who know how to run things, people with a vision and plan, people who are capable to explain these plans to the general public properly (one very popular political party)... and then replace them with complete amateurs (5 not so popular political parties that formed a coalition, inexperienced people who never ran anything) in the worst time possible, that have no idea what to do, send mixed signals and do one mistake after another, leading the whole country into poverty while burning money like mad and doing everything out of spite against their predecesors. The inflation in this country used to be around healthy 2%, now it's 17.5% and not going down any time soon; our rating also goes down. Being the biggest exporter of electricity while at the same time having the highest prices of it in the whole Europe is just the icing on the cake. Doh!

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:51 - 01 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Aldi mayo is loads nicer than Helman's imo. Less vinegary.

Buy some of this stuff:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carrefour.pl%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2Forg%2Fwiniary-majonez-dekoracyjny-700-ml-7p8si4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Tesco have it as do Lidl. Thank me later. Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Has anyone found a diet cola that tastes like Diet CocoCola. All the ones I'vre tried make the rum tase shite.

Oh, and Tescos own brand spiced rum is cheap and crap.

Diet coke uses aspartame, wouldn't give it to a dog

t'internet sez:

There is little evidence to suggest that occasional consumption of aspartame is detrimental to health for those who are of a healthy weight. For those with obesity, however, regular consumption of low-calorie sweeteners may increase the risk of metabolic diseases, including type 2 diabetes.

Although diet soda has no calories, sugar, or fat, it has been linked to the development of type 2 diabetes and heart disease in several studies. Research has found that just one serving of an artificially sweetened drink per day is associated with an 8–13% higher risk of type 2 diabetes ( 22 , 23 ).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Ever since the Russian special crap started and then the oil crisis, natural gas crisis, electricity crisis, grain crisis... the food prices went up by about 20%.

The political changes in my country don't help either. I don't follow politics, never cared much about who was in charge, but the current events are rather worrying to many people. Imagine you take experienced people who know how to run things, people with a vision and plan, people who are capable to explain these plans to the general public properly (one very popular political party)... and then replace them with complete amateurs (5 not so popular political parties that formed a coalition, inexperienced people who never ran anything) in the worst time possible, that have no idea what to do, send mixed signals and do one mistake after another, leading the whole country into poverty while burning money like mad and doing everything out of spite against their predecesors. The inflation in this country used to be around healthy 2%, now it's 17.5% and not going down any time soon; our rating also goes down. Being the biggest exporter of electricity while at the same time having the highest prices of it in the whole Europe is just the icing on the cake. Doh!

Yes, we have inflation somewhere in the region of 17% here too, but those prices are still shocking. The cheap brand baked beans I use were 22p a can for ages, and even with this current inflation, they're still under 30p. That's for a 420g tin. Admittedly being a cheap brand there's more sauce and less beans than a comparable name brand, but it's not that much difference.
Next time I'm in Tesco I must check the current price of the name brands, but I'm sure it's not that high, even with rampant inflation.

Mind you, that'll all change if we get a Labour government here no doubt, and the way the Tories have gone, we may not even need that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some Daddies Sauce the other day.
Confused

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I tried some Daddies Sauce the other day.
Confused

We're talking about household brands not your Saturday night entertainment Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
On original over shop brands.
I always have bottle of Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce in the cupboard as none of the cheaper alternatives I've tried hit the mark.
It's not consumed on a daily basis and the bottle last for months
so I can live with the cost.
Its just got that unique taste
Encona chilli sauce

Agreed - I cheaped out on Sainsbury's Worcester suace the other day and it has no discernible taste no mater how much you use.

Encona - agreed. (inetesting to note that Tesco sell two different sizes of Encona for the same price pretty much. the bigger bottle is hidden away in the ethnic aisle Confused )

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have a bottle or two of Encona , love it!

I used to buy Linghams but it's got way too much sugar in it
for a carb watcher
66% as I recall compared to about 1% in Encona

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Buy some of this stuff:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carrefour.pl%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2Forg%2Fwiniary-majonez-dekoracyjny-700-ml-7p8si4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Tesco have it as do Lidl. Thank me later. Thumbs Up

If I could get mayo without any hint of vinegar taste, I would. Is that what this is like?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hark at us goin' on about mayonnaise eh?
When I were a lad, Coop Salad cream was as posh as we got
You had to get olive oil from the chemist in small bottles cos foreign muck
Coffee was a black syrup in bottles.
You mention putting garlic on yer Mothers Pride and you'd get locked up!

all fields, jerseys for goal posts etc etc .........................

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Agree Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

If I could get mayo without any hint of vinegar taste, I would. Is that what this is like?

All mayo is an emulsion of egg yolk, oil and an acid. Cheaper shite uses vinegar. The Winiary stuff tastes like proper mayo - there's a hint of lemon juice in it which is how it should be made. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Is it cheap? If not, you're off topic!
I'm buying 450ml of mayonnaise for 44p.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent been able to find a tomato ketchup as good as Heinz, so i dont skimp there.
with baked beans i always add an Oxo cube, so not fussy what brand they are.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i havent been able to find a tomato ketchup as good as Heinz, so i dont skimp there.

You'll feel this way about most things when you look to go for cheaper brands, but it really is just a case of reeducating your taste buds in most instances if you're serious about saving money. I certainly felt that way about ketchup, and it was one of the last things where I hung on to a brand name, but eventually, I had to go cheaper, and have got used to a flavour that at first I thought wasn't as good. Needs must for real in my case - might even have to drop ketchup altogether before things get better.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of stuff in the supermarkets would pass the Pepsi test (i.e. near as dammit good enough) it's just the occasional product that, regardless of brand, seem piss poor. But that's the adventure: trying to avoid such grocery landmines Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I think it's around £2 for 400ish ml. Worth every penny if you like a decent mayonnaise although if you're on a tight budget making your own would probably be better.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I like to go to extremes, and take myself patriotically to somewhere that sells NZ products.
If I could afford to buy proper Anchor butter and NZ Lamb, I would. I certainly used to, until I didn't really have a reason to make a Sunday roast Rolling Eyes The world's smallest violin player, just for you! Laughing

I don't care about Marmite or Vegemite, its all the same to me and supermarket own brands are just as good.

But I have been known to pay Silly Money for a bar of Whitakers Peanut Slab, Watties Tomato Ketchup, Cadburys Black Forest chocolate bars, or a bottle of Lemon and Paeroa with a crimped metal cap Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
proper Anchor butter

Oh yeah, thats another thing: I almost ALWAYS buy proper butter, Anchor or not.
Fucking margarine, fuck off is it can't-believe-it-isn't blah blah bullfarts.

Tasteless muck. And it turns out, its not so great for you as they tried to make you believe for all those years.

So I just stuck with butter the whole time, unless I was living with some twonk who liked the fake stuff Brick Wall

I agree to use that stuff that reduces your cholesterol, when I am at the senior consort's because why upset the applecart and at least it might help a little bit, even if it is loaded with secret doses of statins or something Rolling Eyes

I was a bit annoyed with my last shopping delivery - I ordered two packs of butter but I didn't notice they substituted it for this stuff called Willow, wtf. Not for me. I'll probably take it back to the free food for poor people section next time I'm off to the supermarket. Pointless me having it, I'll never use it. Hand

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I think it's around £2 for 400ish ml. Worth every penny if you like a decent mayonnaise although if you're on a tight budget making your own would probably be better.

I don't think I'll be making my own mayonnaise tbh. I'm more likely to be quitting the stuff as an unnecessary expense. But at 44p for a 450ml bottle, I can hang on with it for a little longer.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:13 - 02 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It must be good. I've gone on their website and their original flavour has sold out.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Daughter #2 bought us an Xmas hamper some years ago containing this very product.
It has become an essential part of my lamb shish on a Saturday night.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since forever I've bought Nescafe original instant for the office cupboard. This week though I bought Tesco (orignal) red label same as Nescaff..

Half the price and not enough difference to moan about.. I was surprised.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3