Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bar risers on sportsbikes. Okay if youre tall?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:54 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Bar risers on sportsbikes. Okay if youre tall? Reply with quote

Hey all
Im 6ft2 and have an 06 r1
I love it but feel just a tiny bit heavy on the wrists. Is it something i should just put up with or is it normal to have some raised clip ons to make someone slightly bigger like myself, more comfy?

.... Or is everyone uncomfy on supersports and i should just put up with it or buy a supernaked

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might cause you different unexpected problems and sometimes it is not as simple to change as you would hope, as cables and such might only be just be long enough.
I would put up with it and look at a more relaxed style bike at next change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT10's are quite well regarded. They don't have a great fuel range, but otherwise the owners rave about them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively:

https://i.postimg.cc/mkJ1bYz9/Modded-R1-zpsfa503336.jpg

Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit flatbars to most too, it's a bit of a fanny getting the cable routing right tough!

This is the wifes CBR600F. Had to extend the mirrors, make cutouts in the screen and bond bigger lockstops on too.

EDIT: LSL do a flatbar kit for the R1

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/lsl-superbike-handlebar-kits-various-models/10021320?filter_bike_id=1743&filter_article_number=10021388

Expensive though. Most of the cost is in the replacement top yoke. If there's at least an inch of fork sticking out above the top yoke, you can also get clamp-on bar mounts which work out a good bit cheaper. Tricky to find these days though.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 14:47 - 03 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do what I did...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/topbox_205.jpg

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing worth bearing in mind when you're raising clip-ons or fitting new bars, is the bigger the change you make, the more you're altering your weight distribution on the bike. Generally, the more you raise the bars, the less weight you're putting over the front. Obviously, if your wrists are aching that's what you want, but it can also reduce your feel from the front end, so it's a trade off.

For that reason, if it's only a "tiny bit heavy" I'd go for a smaller change rather than a big one. I'm 6'4' and I raised the bars on my VFR800 a while ago, only by 20mm (which had the bonus that I didn't need to extend any hoses and there are no fouling issues with the fairings or anything) and it's made all the difference, from being a bit achey after an hour or so, to being all day comfy. The loss of feel from the front has been slight, but it is there. Not sure what options are available for your bike though, I used these -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224434997569

Last edited by Zen Dog on 10:27 - 04 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:53 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can make a significant difference. Depending on how much extra you need it may require lengthened throttle cable and brake/clutch lines though so keep that in mind.

Relatively cheap experiment before going through the hassle of getting a new bike.

These are multi adjustable and pretty cheap: [url] https://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/Tarozzi-adjustable-clipons-high[/url]

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I diddnt even think about cable length to be honest. I wouldnt be wanting a lot. 20mm might make all the difference.

Lots to think about though. Obviously a lot of r and d goes into these bikes and generally im of the opinion that the manufacturer probably knows best.... That said its a bike built for everyone.... Not specifically for me.

Cheers bois
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1