Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dropping down in power

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Dropping down in power Reply with quote

Anyone changed bikes intentionally for a lower powered one, or even unintentionally?

I’m looking to from 110hp to about 75hp, sports to naked. Am I going to miss that much overtaking power or not really notice it fir normal riding? Is it a good or bad idea?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:31 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might notice for the first couple of rides, but after a while your brain will adjust. I found that I ride like more of a nutter on my Street Triple as my GSX-S because when I get on it I feel it's lower powered so I thrash it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having dropped from 160 to 130 bhp, nope didn't notice in the slightest.

What I did notice was the fact that my elbows and shoulders work properly now because of the stress from the geometry has gone.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop[ped from a gen1 Busa to a STR, the old 675 version. So something like 170 to 110BHP. Of course I noticed a drop but the bikes were so fundamentally different it never felt underpowered, just different.

If I had dropped to something similar, then I'm sure it would have been more of an issue.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current bike is a GSR750, had a 929 before that and a Gixxer thou before that. Definitely notice the power drop, but it's the torque of the thousands that I miss the most on the GSR.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 10 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably will miss the overtaking power, but if the bike you switch to is good enough in other respects, it won't matter that much.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 11 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did indeed downgrade from a VFR800Fi (5th gen) to a BMW R1150R. 110 hp > 85 hp. To be frank, the BMW is a bit of a pig, but it handles motorways really well and will cruise up to 100 mph easily without running out of wind. Do I miss that extra 25 hp... not really. An SV650 or an MT07 would probably be a better choice. Personally, I think I would be very happy with a lighter weight naked like the SV.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:12 - 11 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find the right 75hp then you won't miss the power and they will be more than enough in the real world

I have a modified 748 (853cc) and an S2r 800 Monster and they make those sort of figures

The Monster has more than enough power to get me past stuff or into triple figures and will keep up with most stuff down the back lanes - the 748 demands to be ridden everywhere much faster before it works and I'm quickly into license losing speeds. I've said it before on here that the 748 is too much for the roads (and got laughed at) but where can you actually go WOT for more than 3 gears?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:11 - 11 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally just went 600 sports 100hp+ to 600 semi naked 76hp.

Yes I noticed. Instantly Laughing but the comfort and position was also miles better. I don't regret it and I'm actually looking forward to going for a ride.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you'd notice but apart from the thrill of stupid accelleration and top speed what use is the extra. I've has all types of bike from singles to big-power turbocharged but the 95hp 100lbs/ft BMW i ride nowadays beates them all on my commute. The only way I'll stop using it is if they make it non-ULEZ compliant or someone produces a half decent electric bike, or I'm dead.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 140 ish to 110 with some mad gearing that only allowed 125 mph max.

It just means you ride differently. With that gearing and power I could ride aggressively and use revs and it was a hoot to ride.

If I rode like that on the current 170 ish bhp now I'd be dead because no way could I handle that.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 12 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over 50bhp is going to be adequate punch to do most overtakes. A naked will probably "feel" faster because you'll get the full windblast. As all the above really, yes you'll notice it, you'll soon get used to it, you *might* miss it occasionally, but motorbikes excel in corners not straights and you won't miss it when banked over.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from an R1 to a Honda Grom 125cc
Still on the Grom might jump to a Honda CB300R

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped from 33 at the wheel to 20ish.

Yes I have noticed.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of bikes are we talking about? Going from an old litre bike to a new naked, e.g. carb'd to EFI, you might actually find the smaller bike feel quicker if it's got some nice torque-to-weight ratio.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What sort of bikes are we talking about? Going from an old litre bike to a new naked, e.g. carb'd to EFI, you might actually find the smaller bike feel quicker if it's got some nice torque-to-weight ratio.

Quite. The OP is saying 75bhp naked so presumably something like an SV650. But even a Street Twin, "only" 64bhp but with more torque than a lot of 100bhp+ sports bikes and very accessible low down, likely to feel quick in the real world unless bouncing off the limiter all the time..

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:53 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
SV650. .... unless bouncing off the limiter all the time..

Unfortunately, the SV does that, it just gets going then brrrrrrrrrrr change gear please.

I just dipped from sporty 6 to boring 6, 100hp+ to 75hp and its fine.

I went 170hp+ to 100 and it was also fine. Going from the 170+ to 75 would have also likely been fine, its still much quicker than 4 wheels and aside from the 100mph first gear and the drop a gear and disappear of the litre sports, its much the same.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, anything 75hp+ is fine. If it's on the lower end you just change gear a bit more and wring it's neck a bit more.

I tried a mate's 160hp Ducati Diavel the other day. I reckon I was at full throttle for about 0.2% of the trip. On my VFR for the same journey I reckon I'd have used full throttle for about 0.5% of it.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:00 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Found the drop in power was ok but the particular bike not quite for me.
ThunderGuts wrote:
Quite. The OP is saying 75bhp naked so presumably something like an SV650. But even a Street Twin, "only" 64bhp but with more torque than a lot of 100bhp+ sports bikes and very accessible low down, likely to feel quick in the real world unless bouncing off the limiter all the time..

Current bike is an SV1000s, was looking at an air cooled Ducati monster.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:19 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I get off the V4R (235bhp) to the 690 SMC-R (70bhp). There's a fair bit of difference there but both uniquely fun.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping off the gixxer 1000 onto the street twin I certainly notice it but not in a bad way. Horses for courses. Even though the Triumph is only 64bhp its not slow and can be more enjoyable as you use more of it.

The gixxer is totally mental and uncomfortable, only take it for short blasts and probably use the street twin more but hell it makes me grin!

OGR

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:23 - 24 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it is more gearing than top end.

Right ratio's you'll still top a ton. But get there as quick. Plus have the pull to whip past.

Probably wrong here (correct me if so).

The R6 was faster than R1, because the shorter gears and weight?
It could boot round and out of corners when the R1was still slowwing down.

Reason I love V twin's. Plenty of torque to power out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:29 - 24 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a tour of Northern Spain. I took my enfield bullet, not my VFR.

But it's all horses for courses, on the way down to the ferry, I think we'd all have swapped for my mates Blackbird. Once there and on the twisties, everyone wanted a go of the G310R rental bike Mrs stinkwheel had... Nobody wished they were on a 1200GS, despite almost literally every other bike we saw being one.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just back from a tour of Northern Spain. I took my enfield bullet, not my VFR.

That's pretty hardcore. Did you visit San Sebastian, Santander, Asturias, etc. all on that Enfield Bullet? What problems (if any) did you experience? Any restrictions in urban areas? I gather you rode it down to Portsmouth, right? I know they hold that bike thing annually at that hotel. Was it a planned route, or a series of escapades around the Picos with a central starting and end point?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

That's pretty hardcore. Did you visit San Sebastian, Santander, Asturias, etc. all on that Enfield Bullet? What problems (if any) did you experience? Any restrictions in urban areas? I gather you rode it down to Portsmouth, right? I know they hold that bike thing annually at that hotel. Was it a planned route, or a series of escapades around the Picos with a central starting and end point?

I'm not ashamed to say I vanned it down to the ferry, 6 hours of motorway would have done neither me or the bike any good.

We dotted about the place having 2 nights in each stop, got down as far as Northern Portugal and also took in all the awesome passes in the Picos area. The Bullet was a great bike to do those on.

I had one issue which was a battery leadratling loose and becoming disconnected. I think it had been intermittantly connecting and disconnecting in the lead-up to that which in turn fried the reg/rec leaving me conked out at the side of the road with no electricity. One of the guys rode into then nearest town and grabbed me a spare battery. I just put it on charge overnight and ran on total loss for the rest of the trip.

The bike ran like a dream the rest of the time. I'm pleased I did a disc brake conversion in it!

Top of the San Glorio pass. 6,000 feet up.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEVXUEpQFVciXd8broz4UwJQ5L7ofEEOCXLIkoJLeMpJy1RCweix3Xti1QzXze1RvGeFO6dqT4TNPuG8LfIwrWzQKaZ7jbd4QIupb8yaJ3a_ZfxDybE-b1mFP5Zh7nop2expKpEZb9Lcm2uAUKDuP4kP=w1576-h886-no
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2