Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Safety of Biking... or Otherwise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

blamski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: The Safety of Biking... or Otherwise Reply with quote

Having just passed my A2 I'm about to get myself a lovely 3 year old CB500X. I'm beyond excited, of course.

However, my mother (who is passing me on the money from the proceeds of the house sale after my dad passed away) is pretty anxious about it, as is my other half. I've lost a couple of friends to bike accidents and they know that. They also believe that motorbikes are inherently dangerous and its only a matter of time before a rider becomes paraplegic or worse. My mum says she couldn't bear it if she provided the money for the bike that I die on, understandibly enough.

I tell them that as a 54 year old with over 30 years driving experience, that has passed a rigourous training and examination process, and that has absolutely no interest in riding like an idiot - preferring a stately progress on a 500cc adventure bike - I should be relatively safe. The danger is the other drivers then, they tell me... and not without reason.

How do you put the minds of your loved ones at peace in regards to your bike riding? What do you tell them that stops them worrying so much? The argument about it being just as easy to die crossing the road doesn't seem to work.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a degree, you won't change their mind. You can try and reason logic; going for advanced training (IAM type stuff, or even just BikeSafe), riding defensively, dressing in high viz, always riding with lights on, choosing your place/time etc.. but there's only so much you can do and if a lunatic comes around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road the conclusion won't be pretty and no amount of training will remove that. What training can help with are the things you *can* control.

The other way to look at it, is if it's something you really want to do then stopping you from doing it (either directly, or by guilt-tripping) is making your life less enjoyable / more miserable. A lot of fun things involve risk, that's the nature of how some people are wired. Motorcycling has risk, but so does walking down the street, drinking alcohol, smoking, taking a flight etc.. but it doesn't stop people doing it.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply don't tell them about crashes, near misses or mistakes that could have ended badly..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could point out that you'll die even if you're sat on the sofa for long enough.

I don't think you'll ever be able to put their minds at ease, just convince them you're as safe as YOU can be.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear body protector(chest and back) under riding jacket no matter how hot it is. Chest protector works well for not dying. Without wearing this, when you crash with car, your broken ribs will penetrate your lungs or heart easily and it may kill you more easily. That's why police riders always wear these. So wearing such protective gears may relieve them to some extent.
I always find "Today's Prius" video on youtube. Crazy drivers are on the road and you can't avoid all of them 100%.
White prius (unconscious crazy) and Black prius (evil crazy).
Watching bike accident videos on youtube with your family let them know about the risk of riding, and talking about how could he/she avoid crashing. Not that hiding the risk but share the risk. Attaching front and rear dash cam on your motorcycle plus "I'm recording you" sticker on top case make lunatic drivers try to keep distance from you. Riding defensively is also learnt on youtube(it's a bit different from car driver's povs in many), watching them with your family works too. Trying to be as far from crazy/reckless drivers as possible on the road is the most important in my opinion.(I'm slow rider on 250)

Last edited by kawashima on 15:25 - 14 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 54 I think your mum needs to unwrap the cotton wool Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take advantage of the times and say that death is inevitable, so we may as well spend our lives doing something we enjoy...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: The Safety of Biking... or Otherwise Reply with quote

blamski wrote:
How do you put the minds of your loved ones at peace in regards to your bike riding?

By sending them sick videos of me popping 100mph wheelies down the motorway usually. They tend to not worry so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of it this way.

You have a 1 in 2 chance of getting cancer in your life.
You have about the same chance of getting heart disease.
I read somewhere that biking is 6 times more dangerous than driving a car, and you have a lifetime risk of about 200:1 of dying in a car crash.

That 1 in 33.3 chance of dying in a bike accident is small compared to your chances of something else getting you.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have really. OH accepts biking as something I was doing when we met, so she has taken the view that it's part of what she 'signed up' to.

I wear my gear, regardless of the weather, and ATEOTD I'm a middle aged bloke with 30 years riding experience on a 50BHP V-twin (or something even slower) so she knows I'm not exactly living life on the edge.

Of course there's the risk of broken bones or worse, but that has to be weighed against the damage to yer actual mental health and wellbeing presented by being confined to a car or, worse still, a fucking bus. Luckily, she gets that too.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the folk I know think I ride like Miss Daisy. If they only knew Shocked

Last edited by struan80 on 20:28 - 19 Sep 2022; edited 1 time in total

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them every now and again that you've beaten your best MPG figure.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Tell them every now and again that you've beaten your best MPG figure.

Careful, he might be dyslexic Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:38 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are allowed to be anxious. It is a dangerous hobby. You can make it less dangerous by being careful, but you're only ever 5 seconds from someone trying to drive through you.

Wear decent protective gear, ride within the limits of your ability, and hope you don't join the numbers of small yet significant statistics.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
They are allowed to be anxious. It is a dangerous hobby. You can make it less dangerous by being careful, but you're only ever 5 seconds from someone trying to drive through you.
In London. At a very low speed. Elsewhere you're about 5 or 6 minutes from someone driving through you, but normally at a much higher speed, or at least positioning themselves so you drive through them at a much higher speed.

Robby wrote:
Wear decent protective gear, ride within the limits of your ability, and hope you don't join the numbers of small yet significant statistics.

Learn proper observation that they don't teach you as a car driver, assume everyone is an idiot, give yourself FAR more space than you would in a car, and occasionally learn to use the acceleration of a bike to get you away from situations which could cause issues. Beating cars off the lights can be an act of self preservation in my experience.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful at the top of those stairs! You're one second away from a broken neck Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
learn to use the acceleration of a bike to get you away from situations which could cause issues. Beating cars off the lights can be an act of self preservation in my experience.

Not just beating cars off the line either. I can think of at least twice where I've had to pin it and swerve around the front of a car pulling out of a T junction (if I'd braked I would have just gone straight into the side of them).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:37 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MarJay wrote:
learn to use the acceleration of a bike to get you away from situations which could cause issues. Beating cars off the lights can be an act of self preservation in my experience.

Not just beating cars off the line either. I can think of at least twice where I've had to pin it and swerve around the front of a car pulling out of a T junction (if I'd braked I would have just gone straight into the side of them).

You should learn the SMIDSY maneuvre.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:51 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seriousness though, they probably won't stop worrying. My parents know I ride a lot less these days due to accidents I had in the past and the fact I would much rather have a leisurely ride than a spirited one, however they still panic and want to know when I get home and to my destinations.

I'm 34, they are both quite old, they still care and worry, its what they do. My parents understand I ride because I enjoy it and thats that. If I die, its doing something I enjoyed, I just aim to not die doing it. All you can do Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've only ever seen one rider do that

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Do what?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing you could say. I think she's too anxious. You're a big boy now and have to live your life.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people's perceptions of "bikes are lethal" stem from the '70s and early '80s when the stats were really bad. But strangely enough things have changed for the better in 4 decades or so. Tyres for a start are universally better made, even for a classic bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Do what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIisFbd06o

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIisFbd06o

Don't think I've ever seen anyone doing that either, not in any exaggerated kind of way anyway.
The only SMIDSY I've been involved in was when filtering past almost stationary traffic and some driver decided in an instant he wanted to swing over into a parking bay along the other side of the road. No indicators, clearly didn't do a good, if any, check of his mirrors, no slow start to his move, just wham! wheel over and go, just as I drew level with him. Only way I could have avoided that one would have been to not filter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3