Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pulled by police - help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

macdaddy86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Pulled by police - help please Reply with quote

Hi!

So today I get pulled by the police on my mt07 and they say “do you know what we’ve pulled you for?”, I’m reply “no sorry”. He tells me I had my hands off the handlebars, so I said oh sorry I was just fastening the Velcro on my glove as it was flapping around and felt loose, the Velcro has gone furry on them so sticks but undoes after a while. I was riding at the front of all traffic from a red light when I reattached the Velcro, it took about 2 seconds being generous.

I was fully cooperative with all the name, licence, insurance etc, he issued a traffic offence 291 Driver not in proper control of vehicle.

Now the problem is I got 3 points for speeding on my very first moped in 2016. So I started my full licence 18 months ago with 3 points.
I’m still within the 2 year probation and if I get 3 points I loose everything!

Has anyone got any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:43 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points from 2016 are long since cleared from your record. They only last for 3 years. Check your license details on the you.gov website I you doubt this.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:06 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek legal advice.

Were you at a standstill when you took both hands off the bars? If so, then that's an especially harsh tug and I'd be challenging it personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:33 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Nobby says, those three points for speeding on a moped have expired so you don't need to worry about the six point limit. Thumbs Up

Regarding the ticket for not being in proper control of a vehicle as you securely fastened your glove whilst stationary at traffic lights, I'd go to Pepipoo for advice on how you can fight it. https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Pulled by police - help please Reply with quote

macdaddy86 wrote:
Hi! So today I get pulled by the police on my mt07 and they say “do you know what we’ve pulled you for?”, I’m reply “no sorry”.

Why do they always ask that? If you own up to what you think they’ve pulled you for does it go in your favour?

Arrow “Was it all the murdering, officer?”

Arrow “Is it a public relations exercise where you stop innocent members of the public and compliment them for making safe but rapid transit on the Queen’s King’s highway?”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he was actually moving when he did it and taking both your hands off the bars for any reason whilst moving isn't something you can really fight in court.

Not in full control of the vehicle. Don't do it again.

macdaddy86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, sorry got the points date wrong was during lockdown when roads were quiet in 2020. So yeah not looking great.

I had my hands if for literally a second as I thought it was the safest approach in case it slips off. I was in front of all traffic a little ahead from a stop light, so wasn’t going fast either and could see a clean clear road ahead.

I will try and appeal it if I get points as got nothing to lose really. Just gutted I’m gonna lose riding as there will be no point even reapplying for licence etc due to cost to do it all again and insurance costs.

I could try the hardship route but probably have to go court for that? As I use it to commute to and from work and it would make me late at least 45 minutes everyday after I’ve walked my child to school in morning. So obviously anybody would lose their job over that everyday.

Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's careless driving you are looking at. Hardship would be avoiding a ban. Getting 6 points within 2 years of passing test is mandatory.

There's a big difference between 2018 and 2020. How the fuck did you get it that wrong?

Anyway, bang to rights. You'll probably get 6 for the careless driving so you're fucked if you had the 3 points or not.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Pulled by police - help please Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
macdaddy86 wrote:
Hi! So today I get pulled by the police on my mt07 and they say “do you know what we’ve pulled you for?”, I’m reply “no sorry”.

Why do they always ask that?

In case you wish to incriminate yourself of course. And because answering "no" (which is the most sensible answer really) puts you in a defensive position in the conversation immediately, which is very convenient for them. If they're really lucky, you might even admit to a crime they hadn't noticed you were committing.

"Is it because of my loud exhaust?"

"No, it's because your brake light is out, but since we're here, we should check that out...."

I have no advice for OP though I'm afraid. Confused

macdaddy86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:12 - 15 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's careless driving you are looking at. Hardship would be avoiding a ban. Getting 6 points within 2 years of passing test is mandatory.

There's a big difference between 2018 and 2020. How the fuck did you get it that wrong?

Anyway, bang to rights. You'll probably get 6 for the careless driving so you're fucked if you had the 3 points or not.

Haha! I wrote 2016 not 2018 as that’s when I started riding, I already have an email from them saying it’s offence 291 Driver not in proper control of vehicle which it also says they can offer a retraining course, points and a fine or court proceedings. Points received is 3 points if they dish them out.

I got my first 3 points whilst on a CBT licence on a 125. I’ve never taken a retraining course too so I’m hoping they give me that! I pray then I never buy Velcro gloves again.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:28 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves go inside jacket. Never a problem then.

Or Knox handroid gloves. No velcro.

I've been pulled with no hands before, they just asked what I was doing out so late, I was stretching and shit, nothing happened.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Pulled by police - help please Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Why do they always ask that? If you own up to what you think they’ve pulled you for does it go in your favour?

Arrow “Was it all the murdering, officer?”

Arrow “Is it a public relations exercise where you stop innocent members of the public and compliment them for making safe but rapid transit on the Queen’s King’s highway?”

As above really, arguably sneaky, although I guess they are handing you the opportunity to set the tone; do you face up and accept you were knowingly doing something wrong (and by being honest and apologetic, you might get let off depending on what it is) or do you feign ignorance but at which point they might then suggest in addition to the actual offence (if there was one), you're also driving without due care and attention.

macdaddy86 wrote:
I already have an email from them saying it’s offence 291 Driver not in proper control of vehicle which it also says they can offer a retraining course, points and a fine or court proceedings. Points received is 3 points if they dish them out.

You might be lucky - accept the retraining course, be as humble as possible and hope for the best. Either way, I think just suck it up and learn. In future, pull over to sort your gloves out (or buy new gloves). I don't blame the copper to be honest; if something unexpected happened you're going to have a hard time getting back to the handlebars, apply the brakes and steering very quickly, probably would add at least a few seconds to your reaction time.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already got a full car licence? Probation period is from when you pass your first test.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:46 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have asked them how I was supposed to do, completely legal, hand signals if I'm not allowed to take my hands off the handlebars.

Also this is useful.

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/site/mcn-law-columns/can-cops-pull-me-for-riding-one-handed

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 16 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
I'd have asked them how I was supposed to do, completely legal, hand signals if I'm not allowed to take my hands off the handlebars.

Also this is useful.

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/site/mcn-law-columns/can-cops-pull-me-for-riding-one-handed

Fascinating stuff, but I think he had both hands off the handlebars ...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 17 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
matto wrote:

Also this is useful.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 17 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

That is the international sign of distress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92d1xtjXf8E

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 18 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

That is the international sign of distress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92d1xtjXf8E

Or needing more TP

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/youtubepoop/images/c/cb/Cornholio.png/revision/latest?cb=20140514151622

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

VelcroPal

I've never really understood the logic: On CBT you can rack up 6 points (or probably 11 for all I know) and be OK.

But do your test and you're on 'probation' limited to <6 points.

Sounds like an incentive to not bother to do the test, surely we should be encouraging the opposite.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's on the lunch menu in HMP accommodations this month?

OP speak to a solicitor ASAP.

You may get legal aid to pay for it if you are not working. That's another thread.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I've never really understood the logic: On CBT you can rack up 6 points (or probably 11 for all I know) and be OK.

But do your test and you're on 'probation' limited to <6 points.

Sounds like an incentive to not bother to do the test, surely we should be encouraging the opposite.

Pass your test when you've got 6 or more points on your license and it's only a problem if you get any more points whilst in the two year probation period.
MCN wrote:
You may get legal aid to pay for it if you are not working. That's another thread.

Legal aid for traffic offences is mostly only a thing if the offence is serious enough for there to be a chance of going to prison.

If OP has legal cover included with their bike / car / home / hamster insurance then that's worth looking into.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Pass your test when you've got 6 or more points on your license and it's only a problem if you get any more points whilst in the two year probation period.

It just seems to be an incentive not to bother with the test.

Either do test, fork out loads, abide by EU set power restrictions at certain ages (re-do tests as necessary), lose licence if get points

OR don't bother with test, do a few hours CBT (possibly on a twist&go), ride on L plates like a muppet (rack up points up to 12 as required). Re-do CBT every 2 years. PS Dave down the road will write you a cert for £30 without having to bother actually re-doing it (TRUE STORY)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:22 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a disincentive to taking the test, it's a disincentive to ride/drive like a dickhead once you can ride a larger more powerful bike/go solo without a supervisor.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Pulled by police - help please Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Why do they always ask that?
In case you wish to incriminate yourself of course.

ie, if you don't admit the 'crime', they have more paperwork to do. Notably speeding - "do you know how fast you were going?" - if you say 'no, sorry, thought I was within the limit' then the onus is on popo to prove what speed you were doing by whatever means; also relies on calibration of instruments etc so just maybe you'll avoid being clobbered, which is a dead cert if you say "yep, 85 mph"

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's not a disincentive to taking the test, it's a disincentive to ride/drive like a dickhead once you can ride a larger more powerful bike/go solo without a supervisor.

Some kunts canny help but rage agin the machinery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2