Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Monarchy, yes or no?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keep the monarchy or retire it and become a republic?
Yes, God bless 'em, long live the King etc.
60%
 60%  [ 29 ]
No, etc
39%
 39%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 48

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Monarchy, yes or no? Reply with quote

Simple question, take a side and leys be done with it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000b273984c37ed1e6b2640882131d6
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0092944/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Already happened.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not playing this binary game. It’s just more Brit-bashing and I don’t know why some Brits feel the need. I think the world will have perceived Britain very favourably having witnessed yesterday’s spectacle.

I saw reference to ‘forelock-tugging’ on another thread but the street cleaners got a round of applause earlier in the day too. It was a celebration of a good life-passed, and a tradition.

Yes, I do think it’s weird that one family have been chosen to be ‘special’ and the minor Royals can ‘do one.’ Harry, for example. If the life of privilege has all been too much jack it in properly and get a proper job if you can. Otherwise knuckle down to the role or disappear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Not playing this binary game. It’s just more Brit-bashing and I don’t know why some Brits feel the need. I think the world will have perceived Britain very favourably having witnessed yesterday’s spectacle.

I saw reference to ‘forelock-tugging’ on another thread but the street cleaners got a round of applause earlier in the day too. It was a celebration of a good life-passed, and a tradition.

Yes, I do think it’s weird that one family have been chosen to be ‘special’ and the minor Royals can ‘do one.’ Harry, for example. If the life of privilege has all been too much jack it in properly and get a proper job if you can. Otherwise knuckle down to the role or disappear.

Bullshit, it's not "Brit bashing" the royal family don't have some sort of monopoly on brand Britain ffs. Wise up and take some pride in your self and your country without having to hang to some anachronistic pantomime production.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Wise up and take some pride in your self and your country.

Oh, clearly I do. Your ‘hate the rich’ politics of envy does not.

How do you think the world will have perceived Britain after Monday’s event?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Oh, clearly I do. Your ‘hate the rich’ politics of envy does not.

Im not falling for any strawman argument. The wealth of the monarchy has nothing to do with my political position.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd be far better off looking at reform of the House of Lords, a depoliticising, than wasting time with this question. It would have a far greater effect for ordinary people.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Bullshit, it's not "Brit bashing" the royal family don't have some sort of monopoly on brand Britain ffs. Wise up and take some pride in your self and your country without having to hang to some anachronistic pantomime production.

You're just attacking what you don't understand, that's all, I get it.
As to taking pride in the country, I'm afraid you're a bit in "pot, kettle, black" territory here. Taking pride means having some satisfaction and admiration for it. You show none, and just want to change everything.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get over a thousand years of history and tradition? By defending it not tearing it down Rolling Eyes

No one will ever answer: get rid of the monarchy and replace it with what?

USA - Federal Republic
China - Communist
Japan - Constitutional Monarchy
Germany - Federal Republic
India - Republic
UK - Constitutional Monarchy
France - Republic
Canada - Constitutional Monarchy
Italy - Republic
Brazil - Federal Republic

The UK might be one of the top ten economies in the World, a centre of finance and of culture but oh man! think of what we could do if we didn't have the monarchy holding us back.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? Royalist, patriot and hatred of most scumbags that seem to pollute this country nowadays.

It's a bloody good thing Adolf wasn't a hundred years later or the they/them society nowadays would be welcoming him in with open arms.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Me? Royalist, patriot and hatred of most scumbags that seem to pollute this country nowadays.

It's a bloody good thing Adolf wasn't a hundred years later or the they/them society nowadays would be welcoming him in with open arms.

Tut Tut Stalin was the 'good' mass murderer.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:05 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Your age is showing PB, the they/them's struggle to lift a hairbrush let alone don a pair of jackboots to go out bashing the testosterone laden...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Your age is showing PB, the they/them's struggle to lift a hairbrush let alone don a pair of jackboots to go out bashing the testosterone laden...

Err... https://youtu.be/K5SbKy019Cs?t=667 - context under-cover reporter in a far-right group, gets battered by left-wing (antifa type) activists Laughing

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:16 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tangible benefits would there be in abolishing the monarchy? They dont really do anything other than be a figurehead and look pretty on coins & stamps. Theres a myriad of other things that could be done to improve the common folks lives, without scrapping thousands of years of history & tradition... and I've quite enjoyed watching some of the bizarre ancient tradition stuff theyve been rolling out over the past week.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cries of "abolish the monarchy!" mostly seem to come out of very shallow thinking.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Cries of "abolish the monarchy!" mostly seem to come out of very shallow thinking.

the monarchy cost the taxpayer £102.4m during 2021-22

If we abolished them we’d each get £1.50 back, and we could house the poor in all those castles I suppose… Thinking

Edit: Actually that figure seems too low. Something must be missing, surely?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I say look at our political classes, and then tell me you want to give them more power Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

the monarchy cost the taxpayer £102.4m during 2021-22

If we abolished them we’d each get £1.50 back, and we could house the poor in all those castles I suppose… Thinking

Edit: Actually that figure seems too low. Something must be missing, surely?

Considering the monetary value alone is part of the shallow thinking I was referring to.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
What tangible benefits would there be in abolishing the monarchy? They dont really do anything other than be a figurehead and look pretty on coins & stamps. Theres a myriad of other things that could be done to improve the common folks lives, without scrapping thousands of years of history & tradition... and I've quite enjoyed watching some of the bizarre ancient tradition stuff theyve been rolling out over the past week.

Democracy? Creating state where people have to engage in their countrys fate rather than sit back in some febrile state of submission to a ruling class?

The only practical purpose to the Monarch ive heard is that in the event parliament gave complete confidence to the prime minister effectively creating a dictatorship the monarch could then call on the armed forces to throw them out and form a new government. I think the chances of the royals living up to that promise is slim, especially if you look at the involvement of Mountbatten in the planned military coup against the Wilson government.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Democracy? Creating state where people have to engage in their countrys fate rather than sit back in some febrile state of submission to a ruling class?

But are the Royals a “ruling class” these days, or a harmless emblem and a tourist attraction?

Ribenapigeon wrote:
The only practical purpose to the Monarch I've heard is that… the monarch could call on the armed forces to throw (Parliament) out and form a new government.

Very Happy I also mused on this possibility. Charles III has disappointed me.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
look at the involvement of Mountbatten in the planned military coup against the Wilson government.

Woo! Linky?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Woo! Linky?

BBC journos uncovered it.

https://youtu.be/l3-gT7CUA2o

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Mediocrity?

FTFY Neutral

We have democracy already, the monarchy is just a layer that sits on top. Much like a candle on a cake: you can't eat it but everyone seems to feel better for its presence. It signifies "this is a special cake" and those having cake without candles look upon it with envy Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Mediocrity?

FTFY Neutral

We have democracy already, the monarchy is just a layer that sits on top. Much like a candle on a cake: you can't eat it but everyone seems to feel better for its presence. It signifies "this is a special cake" and those having cake without candles look upon it with envy Wink

You might despise many politicians but you can vote them out and you dont have to suffer their idiot progeny.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:56 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep a candle that drops shit on the cake that you have to pick off before you eat it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7