Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Monarchy, yes or no?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keep the monarchy or retire it and become a republic?
Yes, God bless 'em, long live the King etc.
60%
 60%  [ 29 ]
No, etc
39%
 39%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 48

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Queues are a very British thing and what better way to honour the Queen?

Firing her progeny one by one from canons each in a different direction pointing to the far corners of the empire?

18th Sept, "The queen is dead", politics and current affairs.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
There's no way the main demographic of monarchist plebs will invest so much emotionally in King Chadders and his successor is a plank whos range rover mommy wife seems to be universally disliked. Then there's the Prince of Gingerness lurking in the background ready to stick the monarchy in the bin.

12th Sept, "The queen is dead", politics and current affairs.

So? Still where is the evidence for hatred? That i think Prince William is a plank is a simple matter of opinion. Range rover mommies are a well identified modern cultural phenomenon which Kate is clearly a member of. Are you ginger? Perhaps a little sensitive on the matter? Or maybe your just woke for minority hair colours?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Firing her progeny one by one from canons each in a different direction pointing to the far corners of the empire?

18th Sept, "The queen is dead", politics and current affairs.[/quote]

Still not hatred, just a suggestion of how they could continue to demonstrate the self sacrifice for the nation they're so much admired for. Obviously it would be a bit messy but think of the tourist turnout.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just a constant flow of hatred and resentment, sarcasm and cynicism, name calling and negativity. And you wonder why you're depressed? Laughing

We all touch on all those things from time to time, but when it's all you do, it's pretty glaring.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
You're just a constant flow of hatred and resentment, sarcasm and cynicism, name calling and negativity. And you wonder why you're depressed? Laughing

We all touch on all those things from time to time, but when it's all you do, it's pretty glaring.

How far are you into the special brew this evening?

For the record though im not a cynic, im a skeptic Laughing

Im off for a Rum seeing you've finally given up trying to find any evidence of my hate crimes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I don't need to do anything. As I said, anybody who has been here any length of time knows exactly what you're like. Your sarcasm is pretty good evidence, you can be read like a book.

Hatred, thats a strong term. So please supply the evidence.

The New Left (you) don’t realise it but the idea that they’d be much better off if the rich weren’t around is a culture of envy and hate. It’s what you keep calling for. It’s also damaging and delusional.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the rich. I have quite a comfortable life myself. What I don't like is, in a cost of living crisis, for the richest to get a massive tax break at the same time as the poor are unable to pay their heating and food bills and the very poorest on benefits are unlikely to even get an inflationary rise to the minimal amount of money they get.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

How far are you into the special brew this evening?

You just can't help yourself, can you? Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The New Left (you) don’t realise it but the idea that they’d be much better off if the rich weren’t around is a culture of envy and hate. It’s what you keep calling for. It’s also damaging and delusional.

No i don't.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't mind the rich. I have quite a comfortable life myself. What I don't like is, in a cost of living crisis, for the richest to get a massive tax break at the same time as the poor are unable to pay their heating and food bills and the very poorest on benefits are unlikely to even get an inflationary rise to the minimal amount of money they get.

Well put - and I agree. My only slight vibe is that, for instance, there's this Big Issue seller stands outside our Sainsburys (has done for years, on and off - is Asian...as in Indian subcontinent sfaict, in his late 40s / 50s). I'm not sure he understands the purpose behind the Big Issue - he seems to treat it as an actual job, selling the mag.

In any case, the point is he's got quite a decent mobile phone. The other month i watched a funny occurrence. A 30-ish bloke came out of Sainsburys, saw the Big Issue guy, and went to give him some money - but the seller was on his phone and kind of totally ignored the bloke. He walked off and then turned around and came back in an attempt to once again give the seller some money (or buy a mag or both), and the thing repeated itself.

All I'm saying is that a lot of these skint people seem to have massive tellies, decent phones and better cars than me. And central heating set at 22 degrees 24 hours a day. Without getting too deep into "teh frost was on the inside of our windows when we was growin up pal," I do sometimes think there's a need for a bit of cloth cutting to go on.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people will cut their cloth to a point before protesting. Big jumpers can be worn, cheaper food can be bought, but when folk can't afford the phone, that in my opinion will be the trigger for riots.

As individuals we have become dependent on mobile phones and the internet to the extent that without recording and broadcasting every element of our lives, we cease to exist. Take that away and people will get tetchy, mark my words...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I think people will cut their cloth to a point before protesting. Big jumpers can be worn, cheaper food can be bought, but when folk can't afford the phone, that in my opinion will be the trigger for riots.

As individuals we have become dependent on mobile phones and the internet to the extent that without recording and broadcasting every element of our lives, we cease to exist. Take that away and people will get tetchy, mark my words...

Absolutly. My eldest daughter puts just about every aspect of her life on FB. Kid gets a school award -- FB. Car won't start - FB. Does my head in.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Not me squire, I don't have a mobile phone. I can tell Charles is king cos 'ee ain't covered in shit Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on track..........

I really really cannot understand how someone can think a Boris/Diane/WeeWillie/Kier head of state is better than the Royal Family because some people voted for them. I really can't.

Macron? Biden? Some German because Merkle has gone and I don't know his name?

Who is head of state for Italy? I had no idea until I googled. I bet 90+% of the 8 billion in the world had heard of Queenie.

I totally understand it's again not something anyone will change. Ribenapidgeon is a republican, hates the monarchy and would rather anyone as head of state, his choice.

We have bonfire night to celebrate your failures.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:04 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Absolutly. My eldest daughter puts just about every aspect of her life on FB. Kid gets a school award -- FB. Car won't start - FB. Does my head in.

How do you know? On Fbk yourself? And there's the rub.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

How do you know? On Fbk yourself? And there's the rub.

Simply because if you have kids it's the best way of finding out what they are up to. They seem to have a mental block that mummy and daddy are following them on it.

For myself, it is an easy way of finding out what is going on on the inland waterways.

A tip, Mr. Ribenapigeon, make use of all streams of information and discard what you don't need rather than discard something without even checking it first. FB has it's uses.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Simply because if you have kids it's the best way of finding out what they are up to. They seem to have a mental block that mummy and daddy are following them on it.

For myself, it is an easy way of finding out what is going on on the inland waterways.

A tip, Mr. Ribenapigeon, make use of all streams of information and discard what you don't need rather than discard something without even checking it first. FB has it's uses.

Ok Mr Helicopterdad Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapidgeon is a republican, hates the monarchy and would rather anyone as head of state,

Not just anyone but someone chosen by a democratic vote and has a limited by term. Having a family member of a sitting monarch become head of state when they die or abdicate, that's essentially just dumb acceptance. We might has well just pick a head of state at random. Which might be fun Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Not me squire, I don't have a mobile phone. I can tell Charles is king cos 'ee ain't covered in shit Laughing

No, but you have the internet. Take that away and you won't have anybody to argue with... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
We might has well just pick a head of state at random. Which might be fun Laughing

Which is what we have. Except the random (through dint of birth) bod at least is given some training before entering the job which is more than you can say for some MPs.

Anyway we've already rejected the concept of a democratically elected head of state due to the possibility the plebs might make the wrong choice.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, King Chucks stuck his bunion in it today haha

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Well, King Chucks stuck his bunion in it today haha

This?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/13/king-charles-greets-liz-truss-dear-oh-dear-uk-prime-minister-weekly-audience

Quote:
As Truss curtseyed, and said: “Your Majesty”, Charles replied: “So you’ve come back again?”

While Truss replied: “It’s a great pleasure,” he could only mutter: “Dear, oh dear. Anyway …”

TBH I'm liking Chaz more and more Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

He seems a bit of an arse.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Not exactly the super diplomat seventy years in training though. Which was supposedly the Monarchal advantage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7