Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long ride (just over 200 miles) a day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:33 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Long ride (just over 200 miles) a day Reply with quote

My motorbike journey so far.

gained full licence last year, got my first big bike on 1st January this year, the 40+ miles ride home was nerve recking as it was cold, windy & wet day (on more than one occasion, I doubted my own sanity)

so here we are, 9 months later and the most I have ridden in a day is 60-80 miles when I was did bikesafe course with the police.

I plan to do one long ride before the good weather disappears so what are the pitfalls of doing just over 200 miles round trip on A & B roads? I know some of you do that kinda mileage just to get a coffee Laughing but we all have to start from somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a long distance rider but if I were I think I would invest in a puncture repair kit, plan my stops, get some breakdown cover and sort some way of charging your phone.
I take some cash for fuel too, incase the only garage you can find is out in the sticks and you don't trust them with your card details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fall asleep or run out of petrol.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:15 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Don't fall asleep or run out of petrol.

planning to start 8 with a full tank of fuel, I think a full tank gives around 200 miles so that covers both scenarios Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't underestimate how long it'll take you, take enough breaks if you're starting to ache. If you're going to be in the middle of nowhere, take a snack and a drink.

Don't believe the weatherman.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are your plans for the afternoon?

Usual advice. If it's sunny, take your waterproofs. If it it's raining, please yourself.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rush and enjoy the ride.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

water! don't forget to drink water.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride fast, take risks.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

get lost and have some fun.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop every hundred miles to get the feeling back in your arse

did something like 600 miles one day when we went France, not fun
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-300 miles is a usual afternoon ride when I'm out. Full tank and cash to fill up again, make sure you check your bike over before you ride as you should do anyway.
Check weather reports and dress accordingly.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

skudd-u-like

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 23 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If it's raining, please yourself.

Do make sure to find a secluded spot, wouldn't want you arrested on your first decent ride out.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 23 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 miles is a nice distance. 300 and I start to ache but I am an old fart now.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 23 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to take time over it. Your average speed will probably be 30mph including breaks assuming fairly fast roads on the whole and "normal" riding. You will probably get tired towards the end; it can be quite hard work negotiating technical or challenging roads (passes, blind and narrow etc..) when you're tired, especially if the weather turns against you. Charge your 'phone fully. Hopefully you have breakdown cover; store the number in your 'phone and put your policy number as the surname or something so it's easy to read off if you have to call. Check your bike is in good order, chain adjusted and lubed, tyre pressures, nothing stuck in them, all fluid levels etc..

Try to avoid big rides on a Sunday though (not so bad in winter) anywhere out to and back from a nice area, e.g. Wales, Lakes etc.. as you'll get snarled up in traffic. Yes, you can filter, but see the bit about being tired and filtering takes concentration.

Enjoy it! Next time, strap a set of spare clothes and stop somewhere after 200 miles, then rinse and repeat - you'll then be touring. Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't fixate on the number of miles. If you're miserable after 60 miles, don't just keep going for the sake of internet points. Likewise, if you've done 200 and are in the groove, keep going.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Murray Little This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 24 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a destination where a mate will greet you with a cold one and a choice of takeaway menus....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Have a destination where a mate will greet you with a cold one and a choice of takeaway menus....

https://i.giphy.com/media/yZUkPe7ysbpQs/giphy.webp

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 26 Sep 2022    Post subject: Re: Long ride (just over 200 miles) a day Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
My motorbike journey so far.

gained full licence last year, got my first big bike on 1st January this year, the 40+ miles ride home was nerve recking as it was cold, windy & wet day (on more than one occasion, I doubted my own sanity)

so here we are, 9 months later and the most I have ridden in a day is 60-80 miles when I was did bikesafe course with the police.

I plan to do one long ride before the good weather disappears so what are the pitfalls of doing just over 200 miles round trip on A & B roads? I know some of you do that kinda mileage just to get a coffee Laughing but we all have to start from somewhere.

200 miles really isn't that much mate. I've ridden more than that on a Chinese 125cc. The only thing that I complained about was a dead arse Laughing

I went this route:

Hamilton to Strathaven (A723),
Strathaven to Galston (A71),
Galston to Stranraer (A719 then A77),
Stranraer to Dumfries (A75),
Dumfries to Gretna Green (A75),
Gretna Green to Kilmarnock (A75 then A76),
From there took the road back to Galston then headed up through Moscow, Waterside, Eaglesham then back into East Kilbride and through to Hamilton.

Whole trip is over 300 miles and I didn't even need to stop for petrol. Had to get off and stretch my legs a few times though on account of a numb arse.

I love taking runs down to Stranraer, I've went many different routes there and back just to explore the back roads and little villages and hamlets in that whole area.

Personally I would take a puncture kit though, I always have one in my bag anyway.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Long ride (just over 200 miles) a day Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Personally, I would take a puncture kit though, I always have one in my bag anyway.

out of curiosity, how would you put air back on tyre after repairing it? Do you take a small air compressor with you or hope a car with an air compressor helps you out?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Long ride (just over 200 miles) a day Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Personally, I would take a puncture kit though, I always have one in my bag anyway.

out of curiosity, how would you put air back on tyre after repairing it? Do you take a small air compressor with you or hope a car with an air compressor helps you out?

Never used one, but you can get kits that use co2 canisters to inflate the tyre, or a small electric pump.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BriskMore-inflator-Cartridges-Compatible-Insulated/dp/B08N9WR3L2/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=co2+tyre+inflator+kit&qid=1665230837&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjk0IiwicXNhIjoiMy4yNyIsInFzcCI6IjIuNTkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=co2+tyre+%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:12 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2 cartridges will get the tyres inflated enough for you to get to a petrol station that's hopefully got a proper air pump thing.

A manual foot pump or an electric one will do the job quite happily but of course there's little to no point in having that and a puncture repair kit stashed on your bike if you don't know how to use it to plug a puncture.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you run tubes like anything with a 21" front, basically - inc. Honda's gen 1 @s, or the Tiger XCXs or XCAs, or a drz etc. Also spoked stuff such as the w800 and whatnot.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2