Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Protest against motorcycle parking charges in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

SaveLondonMC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Protest against motorcycle parking charges in London Reply with quote

Hackney Council in London plan to charge motorcycles £6 per hour for parking, the same price as cars, which would effectively ban commuting by motorcycle or scooter by making it cost up to £14,000 per year. If this spreads it will mean the end of motorcycling in London. Our petition against the charges has gained 5,500 signatures.

On Saturday 8th October we're holding a protest ride against the proposals, starting from Downs Park Rd, E5 8JY at 12 midday. You can find out more details on the Facebook event page, and we will post further updates on Facebook and on Twitter nearer the time.

Please attend if you can. If Hackney get away with this other London councils will do the same, and then it will spread outside of London. A strong showing will put real pressure on Hackney, and act as a warning to other councils across London and the UK.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

London is now a dump, it’s lost to the nation. Get out of there!

But still, why has this thread been rated as ‘spam’ when it’s highlighting an attack on our effective mode of transport?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:52 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Account made just to post it
2) Every other vehicle user in london has to pay to park in car parks or parking bays.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:29 - 29 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
But still, why has this thread been rated as ‘spam’ when it’s highlighting an attack on our effective mode of transport?

Because BCF.

And because of the "no to the bike parking tax" people.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
1) Account made just to post it
2) Every other vehicle user in london has to pay to park in car parks or parking bays.

So what. Should pushbikes pay the same as they are a vehicle using public parking?

I don't really give a flyinf fcuk about London but I'll support their motorcyclists in cases like this.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support them in their crusade against parking charges. One of my favourite things about biking is that I never pay for parking!

On street the cover gets put over it and to date not a single warden has ever unclipped the cover to clock the plate.

In multi-storeys, I simply ride the fuck back out through the gap in the barrier, bumped over a kerb or through any gap big enough otherwise.

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:36 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if these idiots realise that motorcycles are the solution to London (and other cities) congestion problems, not the cause.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:
I wonder if these idiots realise that motorcycles are the solution to London (and other cities) congestion problems, not the cause.

The people in charge generally know jacksh!t about what they're governing. I bet if you asked them how many ride, the answer will be something along the lines of "i saw a motorcycle back in the 50s when I was a child".

dariohill
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:57 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: healthy Reply with quote

Architect of the parking plan, Cllr Mete Coban MBE, had previously admitted during a council meeting in July that data used during the public consultation, which claimed PTWs produce higher nitrogen dioxide emissions than cars, was flawed. Drift Hunters

A Green Party councillor proposed the cabinet review the evidence, a motion seconded and supported by Tories, but Labour voted it down.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: healthy Reply with quote

dariohill wrote:
Architect of the parking plan, Cllr Mete Coban MBE, had previously admitted during a council meeting in July that data used during the public consultation, which claimed PTWs produce higher nitrogen dioxide emissions than cars, was flawed. Drift Hunters

A Green Party councillor proposed the cabinet review the evidence, a motion seconded and supported by Tories, but Labour voted it down.

The youngest ever elected Councillor in the London borough of Hackney, he is currently serving the administration as the Cabinet Member for Energy, Waste, Transport and Public Realm.
In the New Years 2020 honours list, Mete received an MBE for services to young people recognising his efforts to make politics more accessible for the younger generation.

an MBE for being young. what a farce the honours list is these days!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:

London is boderline bankrupt, so gibs money.
They aren't looking for solutions, they're looking for more money. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much they tax or charge people they'll never have enough if the priority is painting rainbow zebra crossings and putting speed humps on cycle paths.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1