Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pickled Vegetables

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Pickled Vegetables Reply with quote

Watching a Korean TV series they always seem to have a vast array of some lovely looking food, major player: kimchi. I'm quite a fan of the stuff. I would guess the closest European equivalent would be sauerkraut? Don't mind that either Smile

It's not that I mind pickled onions (honourable mention for pickled eggs) and beetroot but British pickled veg seems a bit lacklustre in comparison.

Anyhoo, what are some other great picked/fermented veg from around the world?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:04 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also ludicrously easy to make. Literally jam the stuff tightly in a jar, pour brine over and leave it to sit for a few weeks.

I like pickled pears which aren't what you'd think. More what you'd hope the very nicest possible evelated and sprinkled with fairy-dust tinned pears in syrup would be like.

Nothing not to like about a pickled jalapeno too. Again, more bottled in hot brine than actually pickled.

The humble pickled onion is a staple. Also gherkins.

A Scottish tradition is you can't have stovies (a kind of meat and potato hash) without a helping of pickled beetroot.

The classic British fermented tastiness is Worcester Sauce which is effectively fermented tamarind and anchovy. I'd put that up against any of the overseas umami sources.

British cuisine also makes a huge, varied and tasty array of chutneys.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharwoods Pickles: Lime and the Garlic Pickle excellent.

And their Mango Chutney score high.

Piccalilly.

All British. Laughing

Pataks I am not such a fan of.

(And also British)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE080TGEEk

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:02 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Sharwoods Pickles: Lime and the Garlic Pickle excellent.

And their Mango Chutney score high.

Piccalilly.

All British. Laughing

Pataks I am not such a fan of.

(And also British)

You should try Mr Vikkis stuff. Made in Cumbria. His lime pickle is my favourite lime pickle. His bananna habanero is also something special.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw come on, the eyeties do a nice range of pickles - not vinegary sharp but with oil as well as vinegar: peppers, melanzane, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts. I guess its all part of the "antipasti" range.

They always seem to come in those jars with the red and white checkered lids.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:22 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, can't beat a sundried tomato.

Let's not forget pickled capers too.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all mad Sick

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats brine in the cooking sense? I mean, I know it as the concentrated seawater that's left after distilled water has been produced from it. I doubt that's what you use in pickles. Pale

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Whats brine in the cooking sense? I mean, I know it as the concentrated seawater that's left after distilled water has been produced from it. I doubt that's what you use in pickles. Pale

Brine is salty water. Sometimes a little sugary and vinegary.

So with saurkraut, you just salt the cabbage and it draws fluid out of the leaves to form the brine.

With pickled Jalapenos, you take equal parts vinegar and water and add some salt and sugar.

Kimchi uses about 15% salt solution with a small amount of sugar (say about a tablespoon per litre).

The acid is what preserves the vegetables. With the pickled stuff, you're directly adding the acid in the form of vinegar. With the fermented stuff, the bacterial growth in the brine produces (mostly) lactic acid. Too salty and the bacteria can't grow. Not salty enough and moulds grow making it rot. The sugar is mostly there to feed the bacteria. Oxygen is excluded during the process which prevents the sugars being totally broken down by the bacteria. The lactic acid is a by-product of incomplete breakdown of sugars without oxygen. Exactly the same happens in humans when they get muscle cramps through anaerobic exercise, not enough oxygen means the glucose is only partly broken down by the muscle cells leading to a build-up of lactic acid.

I suppose really, the acid in the vinegar is also produced by microbes, but yeasts in this case. The yeast ferments sugars to ethanol (again in an anaerobic atmosphere) like making wine, then you aerate it to oxidise the ethanol to ethanoic acid (also called acaetic acid, or vinegar).

EDIT: I keep meaning to make my own crab apple cider vinegar, I reckon it would make great pickles because the apples also contain a high level of malic acid which is one of the ingreditnets that makes sour sweeties taste the way they do. That sort of mouth-watering sour flavour.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall as a kid my mum doing pickled onions with home-made spiced vinegar but nobody seems to do their own any more. Such is the suburban lifestyle I suppose. However it's a point of pride in Korean households to make your own kimchi, to the extent one would purchase a dedicated kimchi fridge over a microwave or kettle.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I recall as a kid my mum doing pickled onions with home-made spiced vinegar but nobody seems to do their own any more. Such is the suburban lifestyle I suppose. However it's a point of pride in Korean households to make your own kimchi, to the extent one would purchase a dedicated kimchi fridge over a microwave or kettle.

Kimchi was traditionally made in a dedicated pot and buried in the ground but I suppose dedicated fridges are the norm now.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look into making my own but my spare time these days is always taken up with repairing bikes and cars Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimchi is very easy to make, you make up the spiced brine then ram your sliced up cabbage and carrot into a jar, cover with brine, put the lid on and forget about it for a couple of weeks.

It'll keep for a good few weeks after that on a shelf but gets gradually stronger tasting. I don't refrigerate mine because it's usually finished long before it would become an issue

I have fermenting jars which have a blow-off valve for if they go over-pressure. You'd probably want to crack the seal periodically if you were using an ordinary jar.

Another thing I make which is technically vegetables preserved in salt is bullion which beats stock cubes hands down. It keeps well in the fridge and keeps forever in the freezer (and has a high enough salt content it doesn't freeze solid). I make a huge batch periodically and dehydrate it in my dehydrator, then it keeps almost indefinately in a sealed jar. Just throw in a spoon or two into any sauce/stew/curry you'd want stock for or if it seems a little on the watery side.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself round to your local Polish store..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 03 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot capers. Wub

Anything Jalapeno, Chillie or capsicum in general can go fuk itsel.

They are the devil.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The classic British fermented tastiness is Worcester Sauce which is effectively fermented tamarind and anchovy. I'd put that up against any of the overseas umami sources.

Can't beat a splash of Lea & Perrins (has to be L&P, nothing else will do) it's pretty much my go to secret ingredient for everything I feel needs a bit of a kick.

Try an unseasoned (I don't add salt to anything) and flash seared ribeye, with chips, fried eggs and a liberal dose of L&P, to cut through the richness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The classic British fermented tastiness is Worcester Sauce
Can't beat a splash of Lea & Perrins (has to be L&P, nothing else will do)

But - Henderson's Relish, anyone?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Shaft wrote:
Can't beat a splash of Lea & Perrins (has to be L&P, nothing else will do)

Heard of it, but not aware I've ever tried it.

My current bottle of L&P is soon to run out and I note that Sainsburys appear to sell Hendos (unless it's a regional thing) so I shall buy a bottle and report back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The acid is what preserves the vegetables. With the pickled stuff, you're directly adding the acid in the form of vinegar. With the fermented stuff, the bacterial growth in the brine produces (mostly) lactic acid. Too salty and the bacteria can't grow. Not salty enough and moulds grow making it rot.

When you make home made pickled onions, they ferment too. They taste much better than shop bought ones which arent fermented and are sterile.

I recently bought some Eastern european mix of gherkins carrots and red peppers in brine and it's delicious with hot dogs. I've never had it before and only got it because it was reduced.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Iran long time ago, the guy we were working for produced 10 year old pickled garlic cloves.
We scoffed the whole jar.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Heard of it, but not aware I've ever tried it.

My current bottle of L&P is soon to run out and I note that Sainsburys appear to sell Hendos (unless it's a regional thing) so I shall buy a bottle and report back.

Well, for the absolutely no-one who expressed an interest, I found some Hendos (or rather, a Hendo, I bought the last bottle) in my local Co-Op, so they do sell it to us Southern nancies.

For a start, it's almost half the price of L&P, which is a bonus in the current financial climate, however........

I tried it on two things I would normally add Worcestershire to, cheese on toast and steak, eggs and potatoes; cheese first and I added about the same as I would normally, which meant I could barely taste it, so I positively glugged it on the steak, which didn't really make much difference.

It completely lacks the astringent piquancy of L&P and it also doesn't have the peppery heat, I can only describe it as like weak, sweet vinegar, which isn't entirely unpleasant (I have my fish and chips with just a liberal dowsing of vinegar) but isn't really what I'm looking for.

Actually, I might just try it on fish and chips, I can imagine that working, but it's not replacing my beloved L&P as a go to seasoning.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of great stuff above, something a bit different I had in some of the brewery taps in Prague was essentially pickled cheese; something a bit like brie, in oil with spices, garlic and raw onion. Served with rustic bread. Very moreish although you do hum of onion for days afterwards. In Bavaria I've had slices of cheese in vinegar which were served with rye bread (and washed down with smoked beer). Lush.

I tried to make sauerkraut once but it went a bit manky; my dad makes kimchi, I should get him to share the recipe as I love the stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Loads of great stuff above, something a bit different I had in some of the brewery taps in Prague was essentially pickled cheese; something a bit like brie, in oil with spices, garlic and raw onion. Served with rustic bread. Very moreish although you do hum of onion for days afterwards. In Bavaria I've had slices of cheese in vinegar which were served with rye bread (and washed down with smoked beer). Lush.

I tried to make sauerkraut once but it went a bit manky; my dad makes kimchi, I should get him to share the recipe as I love the stuff.

All of which insists that Eastern Block have their taste buds in their arse.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/7UdquGa6jBs
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2