BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tinnitus :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Tinnitus :( Reply with quote

I always use ear plugs/protection when on the bike, but noticed that even with 36 SNR dB plugs, or custom moulded plugs, IEMs with 29 dBA isolation, or Motosafe Race plugs, after a days riding I still get a get pretty bad ringing in my ears.

Anyone else have an issue when using plugs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:23 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tinnitus anyway, but I use Max-Lite plugs and have done for years. The Tinnitus was there beforehand, and also is sometimes worse due to blocked ears/infection/allergy. I don't recall having ever taken earplugs out and noticed worse tinnitus though, so on that basis I'd say those earplugs are either not fitted properly, or they are shite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go for this type of silicone earbuds (both for just noise blocking plugs and earbuds for music). Never have issues either after riding or concerts etc:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.advancedmp3players.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F15225%2F12962%2F300x300%2Fer20xs-15225.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1bbde3700b7179fff03f2897d64fbb8f4a40d1b2363359730ad0d1850db12880&ipo=images

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Tinnitus :( Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

I use MACKS ear ammo plugs, I usually roll and insert so far I need tweezers to retrieve them, but they certainly
seem to help. Also they're cool because they look like bullets.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p134861-mack-s-ear-ammo-18472/

I can still hear my Sena10S for music and nav etc but do need a high volume setting.

Last edited by grr666 on 18:59 - 04 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people don't like music while they ride but I wonder if a pair of good fitting noise suppression ear buds would be better than plugs?

Of course then you have the audio awareness of what's going on to consider.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

This style w/ olive oil. Like having your head underwater in the bath.

But yes I get tinnitus - have done all my life. I've had some VERY noisy jobs as well.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:09 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe go and see an audiologist?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found 3M expanding plugs to be the best. Just pull them out slightly to relieve expansion pressure and get rid of that underwater effect.
These plugs work particularly well in conjunction with the Sena speakers in my lids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Tinnitus :( Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
I always use ear plugs/protection when on the bike, but noticed that even with 36 SNR dB plugs, or custom moulded plugs, IEMs with 29 dBA isolation, or Motosafe Race plugs, after a days riding I still get a get pretty bad ringing in my ears.

If you've tried all those plugs then all you can do is get a quieter helmet.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:09 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I know a lot of people don't like music while they ride but I wonder if a pair of good fitting noise suppression ear buds would be better than plugs?

Of course then you have the audio awareness of what's going on to consider.

I don't think so, no. They don't isolate the right frequencies. I have a set of plugfones ear buds that are like earplugs with built in speakers, and they are OK but nowhere near as good as normal earplugs for me.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to an audiologist.

Specsavers are who I use for custom earplugs. About £80 a pair.

But get your hearing checked out too.

GET YOUR HEARING CHECKED OUT TOO.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Speak to an audiologist.

Specsavers are who I use for custom earplugs. About £80 a pair.

But get your hearing checked out too.

What did he say? Must get that appointment at Specsavers.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:01 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

ARE YOU DEAF? WHY WOULD I WANT MY HERRING PECKED OUT?

blamski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Tinnitus :( Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
c-m wrote:

I use MACKS ear ammo plugs, I usually roll and insert so far I need tweezers to retrieve them, but they certainly
seem to help. Also they're cool because they look like bullets.

it looks more like a bag of tiny (maybe life size) Donal Trump penises

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people don't put ear plugs in correctly. They don't insert them in the ear canal, just sort of rest them in the ear which is one half of the problem.
The other is that most peoples helmets are too big for them. A loose helmet lets in more wind noise and has more freedom to move with the wind.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted before about ear plugs.
I've been wearing earplugs for donkey's years. I work in a high noise energy industry but always used earplugs.
My hearing tests are usual better than many people in the industry I work in.

I stopped using foam about 20 years ago and have used custom fitted since.
I upgraded to attenuated acrylic about 6 years ago and now find foam pafetic if I am caught short and need to shove foam in my lug holes.

Ear canal shape and size affects the fit of ear plugs too. So some foam won't seal perfectly so their protective qualities can be compromised.
And re-using plugs is never 100% effective as we plugs don't compress as well as dry plugs so fit is not as good.

The dB rating is under prefect conditions when tested so allowance needs to be made.

If you are riding a bike regularly or your job is noisy look at custom plugs.
Much more convenient.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:31 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really loud tinnitus after years of bikes and guns, it's fucking sould sapping, knowing you'll never hear silence again.

Get fitted earplugs made or a good, soft foam disposable and use them, every ride.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that so many have tinnitus, did you all wear headphones with the sound turned up high, bad fitting crash helmets or what?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me. I've had it from a very young age. It can be to do with all sorts of things not directly related to hearing - e.g. earwax.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I'm amazed that so many have tinnitus, did you all wear headphones with the sound turned up high, bad fitting crash helmets or what?

It's not common sense to not blow your hearing out.
It's a long process to damage hearing with everyday noise.

But... those earphoned pricks who sit on trains, planes and automobiles (motorbikes) with their shite tunes banging so loud that you can hear every clap of the high hat deserve the punishment.

Its such a pity that genetics takes too long to evolve things.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

It's not common sense to not blow your hearing out.
It's a long process to damage hearing with everyday noise.

I seriously don't get people who refuse to look after their hearing.. I don't think people realise the damage is cumulative and won't ever fix itself... My wife is constantly complaining about tinnitus, and yet when we go to concerts I get weird looks when I put in music/concert ear plugs... Practically impossible to speak with her afterwards for a day too cos she can't hear sh!t. Rolling Eyes I'm best part of a decade older than her and I can hear small or high pitched noises easily she has no idea are there.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
My wife is constantly complaining about tinnitus, and yet when we go to concerts I get weird looks when I put in music/concert ear plugs... Practically impossible to speak with her afterwards for a day too cos she can't hear sh!t

I have a vivid memory of seeing Thin Lizzy at Sheffield City Hall, circa 1982. Believe me, they were LOUD. Despite being at the very back of the hall, my ears were absolutely burning. I ended up literally chewing up my ticket into papier mache and stuffing the bits in my ears so I could enjoy the gig (something I've never done before or since!). But - that's not the 'vivid memory'. At either side of the stage there was a stack of massive speakers about the size of a bus, and down in the mosh pit there was, unsurprisingly, a clear area of floor about 15 feet radius in front of each speaker where even the most hardened Lizzy fan couldn't venture. Well, all except one. This absolute tool, obviously off his head, was standing right in front of one speaker, with his head actually inside the cone. The mind boggles (and I'm sure his did).

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past few years I've been in an area of my work with less background noise so I don't use earplugs.
However, there is the odd occasion where I use an air chisel for a repair. Its obscenely loud, particularly when used on a vehicle so on go the big ear defenders.
I couldn't possibly stand the noise without the protection so you can imagine my amazement on one occasion when I'd just finished using the air chisel for a couple of minutes straight only to discover some idiot had wandered over to where I was to see what was going on.
I asked him how he could stand the noise.
You can guess his answer. Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just bought my second box of ear plugs in nearly 25 years of riding. 200-pairs of Howard Leight Laser Lites. These will see me out. Without them my ears ring after an hour’s fast riding, and my Dad had factory-induced deafness so I was always aware of the hazard.

Originally I bought a selection pack of different types. Some were too big, too hard, too scratchy, but for me the Laser Lites were perfect. You do need to compress them by rolling between (clean) thumb and forefinger, and I then twist them down into the ear canal before they expand. Ah, but you know this.

I keep them in my jacket pocket and reuse each pair many times before I lose/drop/dirty one and have to break out a new pair. The manufacturer’s would have you believe they’re much shorter lived but I’ve never had a problem.

Oddly the ear plugs emphasise the bike’s bass notes, or maybe they just filter out the higher notes like chain rattles (and the breeze) so bassiness/rortiness is what’s left. Sounds mega. Recently I wondered if the ZX6R’s Remus exhaust needed repacking but the neighbours say my bike is quieter than the other two bikes in the street. I think half of what I’m hearing on board is lovely induction noise.

Also, Arai helmet, sportsbike fairings and screen. The R1 has a very subtle double-bubble MRA screen which was noticeably less noisy/turbulent than the original. The ‘99 ZX6R simply has a slightly larger fairing and screen which is very effective.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
For the past few years I've been in an area of my work with less background noise so I don't use earplugs.
However, there is the odd occasion where I use an air chisel for a repair. Its obscenely loud, particularly when used on a vehicle so on go the big ear defenders.
I couldn't possibly stand the noise without the protection so you can imagine my amazement on one occasion when I'd just finished using the air chisel for a couple of minutes straight only to discover some idiot had wandered over to where I was to see what was going on.
I asked him how he could stand the noise.
You can guess his answer. Rolling Eyes

https://entertainment.time.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/06/hot-shots-1991-01-g.jpg?w=600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2