Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF125 losing electrics when at low revs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Savage3000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Honda CBF125 losing electrics when at low revs Reply with quote

Hi, my Honda CBF125 is having an issue when I’m at low revs with the power that seems to be going to the electrics.

Firstly, I have tested voltage of the battery and it’s getting 13.5ish volts, and 14.something when I pull the throttle. I have also put my trickle charger onto the battery and it immediately says fully charged so I’m sure it’s not a battery issue.

I first noticed it last week now that the mornings have got darker, I notice the lights around the speedometer etc were going very dim when I pulled up to junctions or sat behind traffic etc. I then noticed that when I use my indicators, the rest of the lights seem to flicker dim and bright with the indicators, as if it doesn’t like sharing the power across an additional electric item.

I was also riding with my full beam, and when I pulled up to a junction, the bike cut out entirely, as if the full beam was draining all the power.

The bike idles in neutral fine (although with dim lights) and starts first time. I can also maintain brighter lights if I pull the clutch and stick a few more revs in whilst going slow.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:33 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the resting battery voltage like (everything off, been sat overnight).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because your battery is putting out the volts, doesn't mean it's putting out the amps needed. You need to properly load test the battery.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alex says, voltage is only half the story
a bad contact may be at 13.5V or more volts but only allow a small amount of current to pass.

I forget how many times I've gone through checking and cleaning
a bikes/scoots electrical contacts and grounding to have all the odd problems go away.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:06 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example was my bike the other week after a reg/rec failure. It was reading 12V at the battery with everything off. It was down to 4.5 once the ignition coil energised.

Savage3000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:00 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What's the resting battery voltage like (everything off, been sat overnight).

13.06V
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:39 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on. Doesn't a CBF125 have direct lighting?

Do the main headlights work without the engine running?

If not, what you describe is pretty much normal. With the exception of it cutting out.If you've fitted higher wattage bulbs, it will struggle even more to light them at low revs.

As far as I can find out from google (and I can't find a decent sized wiring diagram), it works like my wifes Honda Wave in which case the headlight is powered directly from the alternator only when the engine is running. If the rev speed drops, you get less power and the light dims.

Assuming it's like the Honda Wave, it uses halfwave rectified AC to power the headlight and the other half of the wave to charge the battery.

What we did with the Wave was fit LED headlamp bulbs. It's important to use a good quality, non-polarity sensitive bulb because the part of the waveform it uses for the direct lighting is effectively positive earth. Also important to note you can't use an LED stop and tail light.

For reference, these are the exact bulbs I fitted which work well. Google says the CBF125 uses the same fitment. They give a very slight flicker if the engine is near stalling point but are otherwise bright and powerful.
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/compact-led-headlight-h4-p43t-472-motorcycle-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this,
https://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=953

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Are you not able to to provide a precis rather than just a fucking boring link that eventually gets to the point?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Are you not able to to provide a precis rather than just a fucking boring link that eventually gets to the point?

Noddy at his best!

Savage3000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Hang on. Doesn't a CBF125 have direct lighting?

Do the main headlights work without the engine running?

If not, what you describe is pretty much normal. With the exception of it cutting out.If you've fitted higher wattage bulbs, it will struggle even more to light them at low revs.

As far as I can find out from google (and I can't find a decent sized wiring diagram), it works like my wifes Honda Wave in which case the headlight is powered directly from the alternator only when the engine is running. If the rev speed drops, you get less power and the light dims.

Assuming it's like the Honda Wave, it uses halfwave rectified AC to power the headlight and the other half of the wave to charge the battery.

What we did with the Wave was fit LED headlamp bulbs. It's important to use a good quality, non-polarity sensitive bulb because the part of the waveform it uses for the direct lighting is effectively positive earth. Also important to note you can't use an LED stop and tail light.

For reference, these are the exact bulbs I fitted which work well. Google says the CBF125 uses the same fitment. They give a very slight flicker if the engine is near stalling point but are otherwise bright and powerful.
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/compact-led-headlight-h4-p43t-472-motorcycle-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

I mean, it could be the Osram Nightbreaker 12V 60/55W headlight I fitted at the beginning of the year, I’ve always felt like it was dimming a bit but thought that was normal use. It’s only been recently when I’ve been riding during actual dark that I’ve noticed it properly, affecting the brightness of the Speedo etc whilst indicating.

It has only properly cut out once, which was last week when I was approaching a junction, slightly uphill, with the full beam on.

Maybe I should be looking at a lower Watt headlight and see if that sorts it?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A battery that shows fully charged is no indication that a battery is good.

The only sure fire method to determine if a battery is good or bad is to measure voltage across the terminals when a high load is being applied.
High Rate Discharge test.
A proper battery tester does that.

A new battery will cost you about <£40 for your bike.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/honda/ca125-95-96/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage3000 wrote:

I mean, it could be the Osram Nightbreaker 12V 60/55W headlight I fitted at the beginning of the year, I’ve always felt like it was dimming a bit but thought that was normal use. It’s only been recently when I’ve been riding during actual dark that I’ve noticed it properly, affecting the brightness of the Speedo etc whilst indicating.

It has only properly cut out once, which was last week when I was approaching a junction, slightly uphill, with the full beam on.

Maybe I should be looking at a lower Watt headlight and see if that sorts it?

Yes. It's designed to run a 35/35W bulb, you're drawing nearly 60% more power than it's designed to supply. Assuming it's direct lighting, this is way too much, I'd expect it to be dim at low revs.

Seriously, those LED units I linked to are excellent (but pricey). Or fit a 35/35W nightbreaker.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

" it could be the Osram Nightbreaker 12V 60/55W headlight I fitted at the beginning of the year,"

Oh NOW you tell us!

Another owner 'improvement'

I'm currently getting a YBR ready for MOT with a melted headlight
that someone 'improved' with a 55/65 halogen in place of
the stock 35/35.

leds are an option and issa fack you get more bang for your buck with leds
BUT
A lot of H4 leds have a big assed heat sink sticking out the back and in the YBRs case it would have to be stuffed in an already packed rats nest.
As it's an always on type headlight, I'll have to do some tests to see if the heat sink temp will rise enough to be a problem.
Also, packing it in the closed back of a headlight doesn't really allow for good dissipation even if it didn't already have a shit ton of cables and connectors in there.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage3000 wrote:

I mean, it could be the Osram Nightbreaker 12V 60/55W headlight I fitted at the beginning of the year,

Need to say stuff like that in the first post, not after everyone's had a guess what's going on. Wink

Savage3000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:21 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Savage3000 wrote:

I mean, it could be the Osram Nightbreaker 12V 60/55W headlight I fitted at the beginning of the year,

Need to say stuff like that in the first post, not after everyone's had a guess what's going on. Wink

Sorry everyone, and appreciate all your help. That light has been on the bike for about 9 months and I never noticed anything dipping before then. It wasn’t h til the other commenter mentioned about headlight wiring it triggered my brain.

I’ll have a look at some LED headlights with lower Wattage.

I’m sure the old light I took out was a 55W though, I remember checking it, but it just wasn’t very bright compared to the night breaker

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike should be well able to drive a 55w lamp.
The alternator will handle it.
But if the charging system battery is goosed then you will get problems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The bike should be well able to drive a 55w lamp.
The alternator will handle it.
But if the charging system battery is goosed then you will get problems.

It might be a single phase, split charging system. Some of them certainly are. In which case it's operating on the raggedy edge as standard.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are AC direct lighting to the headlight.

I once fitted heated grips to one. I thought I would do it the sensible way, direct feed from the battery triggered off a relay from the headlight circuit.

Started it up, and the relay was buzzing at 50hz. So I just wired the grips into the headlight circuit. They worked, but the LED indicator didn't.

This was on a bike that only got used around London, so headlights were just to be seen.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

I once fitted heated grips to one. I thought I would do it the sensible way, direct feed from the battery triggered off a relay from the headlight circuit.

Started it up, and the relay was buzzing at 50hz. So I just wired the grips into the headlight circuit. They worked, but the LED indicator didn't.

This was on a bike that only got used around London, so headlights were just to be seen.

I used my customary rear brake switch feed to trigger the relay on Mrs stinkwheels Wave. Brake light is on the DC side. Works fine. Also lots of LEDs to at least partially compensate for the heated grips (but as said, can't use an LED stop and tail).

Savage3000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:31 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

That’s the issue of why I fitted the night breaker headlight. I live out in the sticks. I don’t usually see any other vehicles or have any street lights for the first 5 miles of my commute. I need a bright headlight.

I think I’ll spare the bike from heated grips though, don’t think it will cope too well.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:15 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the sticks, I'm familiar with your pain.

The high wattage headlamp doesn't fix the problem. To be honest, nothing much does on bikes with direct lighting, apart from learning to use a lower gear and keep the revs up in corners.

It's a ballache, but you just need to ride slower and more carefully at night to keep within the limits of your headlight.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I grew up in the sticks, I'm familiar with your pain.

The high wattage headlamp doesn't fix the problem. To be honest, nothing much does on bikes with direct lighting, apart from learning to use a lower gear and keep the revs up in corners.

It's a ballache, but you just need to ride slower and more carefully at night to keep within the limits of your headlight.

In fairness, those LEDs I linked to are properly effective. Mrs stinkwheels wave now has a headlamp which is entirely adequate for its available road speed, even in total darkness on rural roads.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC lights?
You sure?
t'internet says it was made from 2009 on I would have expected better than that old 1970s type lighting.
I haven't seen a wiring diagram but the parts fiche shows a modern looking stator, with finned regulator and PGM-FI

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
AC lights?
You sure?
t'internet says it was made from 2009 on I would have expected better than that old 1970s type lighting.
I haven't seen a wiring diagram but the parts fiche shows a modern looking stator, with finned regulator and PGM-FI

I thought that as well, my first post reads,

my 125's headlamp, side light and rear tail light are powered directly from the alternator. As such if you stall the bike these lights go out. The indicators will still work as will the brake light because these are fed from the battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2